MSI Z77A-GD55, no POST, onboard lights change wen flexed

titan97

Gawd
I have an MSI Z77A-GD55, bought in 2013. I recently rearranged my office area and now the PC is acting up. it booted once into Windows, then restarted, then it got to the Windows splash screen, the rebooted, then got to BIOS, then rebooted, and now I get no screen signal. The fans spin and the HDD spins up. I removed the battery and no joy. I removed the GPU and it still does the same thing. I noticed that the onboard indicator lights and the onboard power/reset/OC buttons didn't light up, but if I press down slightly near the PCI-E slot, the lights will come on. Even when I hold this slight pressure, the system will not boot. I'm assuming that the board is damaged and making intermittent contact. Any other thoughts?

Check the power cables first.

I'm assuming that the board is damaged and making intermittent contact.

Could be. You may need to use the oven reflow hack.

I tried the reflow hack. I pulled the board when the plastic buttons began to soften. The lights on the board now turn on, but I get no BIOS screen.

I've deiced to purchase a used Z77 board. Let's see how that works.

If you put it in an oven, you have to reflux the board, otherwise it won't reflow and resolder, it will just make things worse.

Use a good quality flux, NOT water Washable, and clean it off with Fluxoff, or white gasoline. (Flux Off is Hexane, which is gasoline.)

Personally, I'd warm the board up, then use a heat gun where the problem is.

And capacitors will cause this as well.

Back