MSI Z77 MPower

SonDa5, is there a list of games supported with the Virtu software somewhere? I looked and didn't see any. I would be interested in trying it out as well.

There is a whole bunch of them already to go with the software. Looks like at least 75 games with a few futuremark benchmarks.

SonDa5, is there a list of games supported with the Virtu software somewhere? I looked and didn't see any. I would be interested in trying it out as well.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/faq.html#Q7
Which games are supported by VIRTU MVP?
Virtu products support hundreds of games that are routinely tested and in Lucid labs. However, it is always possible to add new application or game to your application list and provide it with your defaults (such as which GPU to use and what performance features to use). New applications can be added manually if it is missing in your control panel under Application Tab.

So they're using this MoBo to promote higher OCs on the Sandy Bridge platform, and the Ivy Bridge is being neglected...?
Whatever it takes to sell I guess.
But perhaps the newer Ivy Bridges just aren;t worth buying is what I take from this thread.

FWIW I like this board and would love to see the Ivy Bridge tested on it.
I am using an X58A-GD65 medium OC, max RAM for a few years now and it never crashes since I need stability more than speed.
The Military Grade Class MoBo's are definately nice.
Anyone here who uses an i7 3770k please post your results, especially stock air temps before the Nitrogen Darth Vader rigs...

Ankyu
No - I am testing the board and currently only have my SB CPU on hand - my IB should be ready to test in a few days. I am the one doing the testing, using what parts I have, I am a regular person who has to watch their spending. So buying a lot of hardware weekly is not what I do anymore,now that I am Trying to be more responsible :/

Diablo III is not working :'(

So heres a question, assuming I wanted to use the Vitru software and went into the BIOS and turned on the iGPU, where would I find the drivers? They're not on the MSI site, thats for sure. I know the computer detected it, because I have an unknown VGA device in the device manager. I re-installed all of the chipset drivers I have and the IME, and its still not installed.

Last edited:
So heres a question, assuming I wanted to use the Vitru software and went into the BIOS and turned on the iGPU, where would I find the drivers? They're not on the MSI site, thats for sure. I know the computer detected it, because I have an unknown VGA device in the device manager. I re-installed all of the chipset drivers I have and the IME, and its still not installed.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads-mvp.shtml

Your intel IGPU will also need the latest drivers to work best.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads-mvp.shtml

Your intel IGPU will also need the latest drivers to work best.

Thats what I was looking for, I eventually found them on the intel website. Its apparently not included on either the driver cd or the MSI website. How silly of me to expect that. I also got Lucid software installed and working after about 55 reboots and 20 re-installs due to some error each time, but it doesn't work as far as I can tell. None of my games will even start with it active, they simply hang. 3Dmark11 won't run either. I knew it sounded like too much to expect for it to work well, but I didn't think it wouldn't work at all.

Thats what I was looking for, I eventually found them on the intel website. Its apparently not included on either the driver cd or the MSI website. How silly of me to expect that. I also got Lucid software installed and working after about 55 reboots and 20 re-installs due to some error each time, but it doesn't work as far as I can tell. None of my games will even start with it active, they simply hang. 3Dmark11 won't run either. I knew it sounded like too much to expect for it to work well, but I didn't think it wouldn't work at all.

Are you running the newest Mpower BIOS?

Are you running the newest Mpower BIOS?

Yeah, I don't know whats up with this at all. I turned the iGPU off and disabled the program and I still can't run any 3D applications, the system just hangs now. I'll have to fight it this weekend when I have more time.

Yeah, I don't know whats up with this at all. I turned the iGPU off and disabled the program and I still can't run any 3D applications, the system just hangs now. I'll have to fight it this weekend when I have more time.

Bad news. My Lucid Virtu MVP software crapped out. When I would start a 3d application with Virtu MVP enable I would get a little window pop up stating that my Key was incorrect. Took me awhile to figure out the problem was with virtu MVP. I think there is some kind of licensing issue with the software and isn't compatible with all games yet. Problem started when I added CS:GO to the virtu MVP list.

So I had to uninstall the software. It was working great for UT3 while it lasted. I hope MSI fixes this.

Good news. I finally got some time to over clock.

With my old motherboard MSI Z68 GD65 G3 I could never get a pass on any of the futuremark benchmarks with my i5-3570lk at 5GHZ.

Today with a little tweaking around on the Mpower I have finally passed 5GHZ futuremark benchamark. :)

Big achievement for me and my chip and I really think the Mpower made it possible. :)

Here is my proof. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/16892930

Super Pi 32m 5GHZ

SuperPi3570k5ghz.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2518087

Last edited:
Have been having fun tweaking my system settings with the MB. I just got done doing my first 27 hour Prime95 v27, with AVX long FFTs (hot selection).

Ambient temps ranged from low 20C to high 27C.
[email protected] 1.15v.
27hourprime95stabilitty.jpg

Hottest temps were recorded during the 15th hour of testing.

Max Temps recorded

64C 72C 69C 64C

This MB is awesome.

Last edited:
Lets be clear, you dont NEED to use that. That is for extreme graphics overclocking where you're trying to make sure the card doesn't pull too much power from the board. Unless you're planning on some sub-zero cooling and burning some cards out, don't worry about it.

I'm pretty sure that is there since you can do tri-fire with this board. If I'm not mistaken it does 8x/4x/4x off of the cpu lanes which is more than enough bandwith for tri-fire. Although I would love some clarification on that. That'll draw more from the motherboard than you might think.

If I were running a high overclock on water. I would even use it with two cards. I saw a guy on rage 3d that burned up the modular connector that supplied the supplemental pci-e power with three GTX580s on air. I really think that the supplemental pci-e power is a great feature.

I'm on my 2nd MPower motherboard this month. First one was taken out when the voltage regulator on my new XFX Pro Series 1000W power supply blew. Hopefully the second motherboard lasts a bit longer ...

I'm on my 2nd MPower motherboard this month. First one was taken out when the voltage regulator on my new XFX Pro Series 1000W power supply blew. Hopefully the second motherboard lasts a bit longer ...

hope the new MPower and PSU are doing well :) - Its been nice to see a lot of benching/testing and some records being set with the MPower w/ extreme overclocking. The current x1 gpu 3DMark11 WR (as posted/verified on HWBOT) is with the MPower and a 7970 Lightning

Got one of my daughters an MSI Z77 G41, real cheap board as you people know, gave her my old 2500k and dialed in .4.4ghz and tested really quick

Its no where near a pro board but boy it works

I must try one of these M77 the goat eater featured

thanks for the pics and info BTW

edit ....shes been using it for a couple days now says no issues so far.

Last edited:
Just got my M77 board in this morning and up and running

Impressive board and bios

Maybe no Intel Ethernet chip but wow its a real fast booter(!!!) and awesome.

Edit: BTW mine has newest bios and the "certification of quality and stability document"
bios settings bit different but you figure it out
benching 4.5ghz. so far
VERY Pleased so far.
Best board I have ever built into a system

Last edited:
I have had alot of fun with the MB so far. I tweaked VRM thermal pads with fujipoly Extreme pads and tweaked chipset heat sink with IC Diamond and TR heatsink.

Some photos.

MPowaZ77VRMFujipolExtremeonVRMs.jpg

TRCHipsetcoolingICDiamond.jpg

TRCHiSMPOWERCOOL.jpg

TRTOWERCHiPSETCOOLing.jpg

TRchipsetMBview.jpg

Did you OC the southbridge? For 9 gbit/s SATA? :p

Believe it or not that chip heat sink is the hottest on my MB when I benchmark. I had the thermal right laying around not being used so I figured I'd try it out. Im sure it will work better than stock heat sink and my electricity will run a little cooler.

Can I please get some help on the following in the bios for this board

I know every bodies is different but some average numbers or general defaults

Benching at 4.5ghz

CPU Volts 1.2800v

CPU I/O voltage: had on auto, is now on lowest number 0.9500v good average number?

GPU Voltage: had on auto now is on lowest number 1.0050v any good number for here also what it is? on vid lucid technology?

System Agent Voltage: had on auto, now on lowest number value 0.9450v

Dram voltage: closest to 1.5000 is now on 1.5055v

DDR VREF CA A: had on auto is now on 0.7450v

DDR VREF CA A: had on auto is now on 0.7450v

DDR VREF CA B: had on auto is now on 0.7450v

DDR VREF CA B: had on auto is now on 0.7450v

PCH Volts is on lowest 1.0555v

CPU PLL: is on now on 1.7000v

Or just leave them on Auto
Though its nice to put a number in

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Can I please get some help on the following in the bios for this board

I know every bodies is different but some average numbers or general defaults

Benching at 4.5ghz

Try these settings.

CPU Volts 1.2v or less. My 3570k runs stable at 1.15v 4.5GHZ with following settings with a discrecte card and 2400mhz CL10 ram.

CPU I/O voltage: 0.9500v is good.

GPU Voltage: leave at default unless you are only using discrete video card in which case you could manually adjust to lowest setting.

System Agent Voltage: Leave on auto

Dram voltage: 1.5v rated ram might want to run at 1.55 just to be safe on stability. Not really needed but I don't think it will hurt. More or less just peace of mind that your ram has plenty of voltage.

DDR VREF CA: leave all settings at default if running stock ram speed settings.

PCH leave at default

CPU PLL: 1.55v

You also want to look at CPU settings. I use multipliers and adjust all power settings to as much as possible. There is no way they will reach the power level since the cpu voltage is so low but you want to make sure the cpu voltage can be pushed.

Thanks you for the help appreciate it.:D

I have 8 gigs 2 sticks at 4gigs each of spare part # 997007 mushkin redlines ram PC3 14900 9-10-9-27 at 1.5v (1866ram)

Maybe I should use those

Last edited:
Thanks you for the help appreciate it.:D

I have 8 gigs 2 sticks at 4gigs each of spare part # 997007 mushkin redlines ram PC3 14900 9-10-9-27 at 1.5v (1866ram)

Maybe I should use those

If you run into issues, inch up the voltages a bit. Just make sure everything is staying well cooled and you will be fine even with a bit higher... Depending of course on how much you want to push it

Its good for onboard sound - I use just the onboard w/o any THX software or enhancements (and w/o external amp)... Of course there is no onboard amp and quite frankly I am glad - If you want to amp the sound a good external is always best. I use a decent pair of over the ear closed headphones and am very happy I didn't buy another x-fi

Its good for onboard sound - I use just the onboard w/o any THX software or enhancements (and w/o external amp)... Of course there is no onboard amp and quite frankly I am glad - If you want to amp the sound a good external is always best. I use a decent pair of over the ear closed headphones and am very happy I didn't buy another x-fi

Why not use the THX software? I'm trying to decide if finding a board with a pci slot is worth it or not right now as my xfi-pro has been a fantastic card.

getting a board with a PCI slot to use an old soundcard really is not worth it now... I don't use THX because I don't like faux surround sound and a lot of processing muddling up what I am listening to, I listen to music and stereo with my headphones is all I need to enjoy it. With more added stuff it changes the sound and quality, I would rather listen to the original sound.

Built new base system this week, with this board, i5-3570K, 16GB Corsair Vengeance memory, and Samsung 830 series SSD. System fucking runs man, warp factor 9 fast :D Super stable the past 48 hours since install, is a very good for the price. With the options and stuff, this looks like it should be selling for $250+, not just $179 or so. This board is a must buy, in my opinion.

Call me crazy, I actually installed it on Windows 8 Pro, just try it out, and it's not that bad, I just set it up, to be on desktop mode all the time, none of that tile bullshit.

Question on this motherboard; do I need to plug in a power cable to that six pin connector, right below the main 24 pin connector ? I have never seen a six pin connector on a motherboard for graphics card ? I thought the video card itself with the two 8 pin connectors themselves handled the power ? Do I need to plug into that motherboard one too ?

Why not use the THX software? I'm trying to decide if finding a board with a pci slot is worth it or not right now as my xfi-pro has been a fantastic card.

I also have a classic X-Fi card from years ago, I spent like $200+ on it way back when. Been a great sound card. But for the hell of it, wanted to try on board sound for once, with the THX certified sound on this motherboard, and...it's very good. I am no audiophile, but the sound is just as good as my old X-Fi. Games sound just the same.

This motherboard has been alot of fun learning how to tweak. Had fun with it with a 3570k and am now enjoying it with a 3770k.

5GHZ 3770k with it.
http://valid.canardpc.com/2595435

Great to work with for delidding direct die mount as well.

Bare3770kdiedirectblockmountsmall.jpg

Last edited:
MSI BIOS 17.5 fixed the cheapy sammy ram compatibility problem and they work great now. :)

Love this MB.

I finally broke X4000 on 3dMark11. :)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5126103

Testing cheapy sammy kit over clocked.

X40733dMark11X.jpg

No virtual crap installed on system. Not sure why furutremark thinks I'm using it.

I need to update my sig but just competed a build with this board. Anyone ever hear a beep coming from the m/b?

I have disconnected my speakers and everything appears to be running normally. My temps are 20 + c range. no error codes reading on m/b.

But after I have had the system on for 10 min it will beep then I won't hear it again until like another 3 or 4 min. and it will beep again. Strangest thing.

After reading through this thread a few times I decided the MSI Z77 MPower would be the heart of my next gaming PC. I'm going to pair it with a i7 3770K and either a Crucial or Samsung 250/256GB SSD.
I'll be reusing my Corsair 500R case, H100 cooler and 750w PSU. I will attempt to use the 16GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM I have (Ballistic Sport 2x8GB) but I have funds in the budget for other memory if the current sticks don't play nice with the new MSI MB. A new GPU is also planned, probably a HD7870 or 7950.

My question is this: Are there any known components and/or configurations that don't work well with this board? Any quirks or peculiarities to be aware of? My main usage will be gaming - I'm looking forward to playing Aliens: Colonial Marines and Crysis 3. I also plan to do a little overclocking down the road - it will be the first time for me since the old coppermine PIII days.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated!

Great information on this board:

I use the wifi for my desktop as my townhouse doesn't have a cable hookup in my home office. Is the included wifi dual band 2.4/5?

Thanks

I already have the Linksys Wifi- AE3000 but if this will work just as well, it's one less USB port I have to take up

Back