MSI Z77 MPower USB 3.0 issues

Angus66

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know why this message is displayed when I plug in a USB 3.0 thumb drive ( Patriot Supersonic Xpress 3.0 USB 32GB #PSF32GXPUSB)
to the USB 3.0 front panel connector on my case (which is connected to the USB 3.0 header on my MPower board)???

To test the USB thumb drive to see if it was the issue, I plugged it in to all of the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the MPower I/O panel.
Three of the USB 3.0 ports gave no error, but the other three showed the same message pictured above.

I pulled all drivers for the MB from the MSI site prior to my build so that I have the most recent versions available there.
I even uninstalled all of the USB devices through device manager and then re-installed them in case any of the driver files were corrupted somehow.
Besides installing/updating Win7 64bit and Google Chrome, there are no other programs on the PC. There are also no warnings in device manager in the USB section.
I have yet to install any of the MSI MPower utilities - could that be a source of my USB 3.0 problems?

Lastly, I looked at the BIOS settings for any USB options that might affect the USB 3.0 ports, but I didn't find anything obvious there.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I've got the same board, and have not seen that message. Same as you, I've installed the Intel and Renesas USB 3.0 drivers provided on the MSI support site. Granted, I only have 2 x USB 3.0 devices at the moment. An external drive dock plugged into one of the rear Intel ports, and an SSD inside of a portable USB 3.0 case that gets plugged into a front case port (using the internal header).

I have not installed the MSI utilities yet, either, so I don't think that's your problem.

I'm having similar issues with the MSI Mpower. Though it is only happening with this one usb 3.0 external hard drive.

What happens is, when I plug it in, the mouse and keyboard stop working for 10 seconds.

This doesn't happen with my 3.0 usb sticks though.

I am currently backing up the data from the external hard drive to an internal one.

I will then format the drive and see what happens. Next I will try a replacement cable.

Edit:

Also what happens is that sometimes it gives me the message usb 3.0 device plugged into 2.0 port. Eventually it settles down. Some idiot stepped on the end of the cable, I straightened it out, but I think this might be why there are issues.

Last edited:

I am on the latest 17.6 bios.

I think part (but not all) of my problem is that I'm misinterpreting the error message I posted above.

All of my USB 3.0 ports function with the USB stick I have, but data transfer could faster if I used the "Superspeed" ports.
The front two ports aren't SS USB 3.0 but all of the rear ports are.

When I plug in my USB 3.0 thumb drive into some USB 3.0 ports the back my PC, the data transfer rate is increased. Initially it's about 100Mbps,
then it slowly ramps down to ~ 50-60Mbps. Using the same USB stick, the front ports start out at ~ 30Mbps and gradually ramp down to ~ 10Mbps.

I'm going to try out some other USB 3.0 & USB 2.0 sticks today and see what kinf of transfer UP/DOWN rates I get...

Got a new cable. Think it's fixed now.

Edit:

Thought the problem was solved. It isn't

Keyboard stopped working after I plugged in the external hard drive. The keyboard is plugged into a 2.0 usb slot in the back.

Keyboard started working after the autoplay menu for the external hard drive showed up. Sometimes this happens to keyboard and mouse.

Damn this damned motherboard.

Odd thing is that the second time I do it there is no problem. If I restart and plug it in, same shit happens all over.

Funny how my friend has the exact same board without these issues. I might just buy another one and put this one in my spare rig.

Last edited:
I am on the latest 17.6 bios.

I think part (but not all) of my problem is that I'm misinterpreting the error message I posted above.

All of my USB 3.0 ports function with the USB stick I have, but data transfer could faster if I used the "Superspeed" ports.
The front two ports aren't SS USB 3.0 but all of the rear ports are.

When I plug in my USB 3.0 thumb drive into some USB 3.0 ports the back my PC, the data transfer rate is increased. Initially it's about 100Mbps,
then it slowly ramps down to ~ 50-60Mbps. Using the same USB stick, the front ports start out at ~ 30Mbps and gradually ramp down to ~ 10Mbps.

I'm going to try out some other USB 3.0 & USB 2.0 sticks today and see what kinf of transfer UP/DOWN rates I get...

Hey bro, I got an idea you could try.

Clear your CMOS. There is a clear CMOS button at the back. It is the shiny blue one near the top. You will need a cotton tip or pen or something to push it. REMEMBER, your computer must be off when clearing CMOS, and your power cable unplugged from Power Supply Unit.

Also, seems you need the Renesas and the Intel usb 3.0 drivers. It is due to the number of USB 3.0 ports, you must have both these drivers.

Does anyone know why this message is displayed when I plug in a USB 3.0 thumb drive ( Patriot Supersonic Xpress 3.0 USB 32GB #PSF32GXPUSB)
to the USB 3.0 front panel connector on my case (which is connected to the USB 3.0 header on my MPower board)???

To test the USB thumb drive to see if it was the issue, I plugged it in to all of the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the MPower I/O panel.
Three of the USB 3.0 ports gave no error, but the other three showed the same message pictured above.

I pulled all drivers for the MB from the MSI site prior to my build so that I have the most recent versions available there.
I even uninstalled all of the USB devices through device manager and then re-installed them in case any of the driver files were corrupted somehow.
Besides installing/updating Win7 64bit and Google Chrome, there are no other programs on the PC. There are also no warnings in device manager in the USB section.
I have yet to install any of the MSI MPower utilities - could that be a source of my USB 3.0 problems?

Lastly, I looked at the BIOS settings for any USB options that might affect the USB 3.0 ports, but I didn't find anything obvious there.

Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey bro,

I figured it out. Connect your keyboard to the PS2 port. Just use a usb to ps2 converter, even the green ones will work on this motherboard because it accepts both purple and green. Purple one for keyboards would be best.

http:///us/2005/11/23/pc_interfaces_101/ps2_usb.jpg

This motherboard has a limited range of supported keyboards. They had a BIOS update that added more keyboard support, but it still wasn't enough.

Also, the issue could be being caused by an old device that is connected to one of your usb ports, possibly an old printer or an old mouse? Probably the keyboard, so either buy a new keyboard or get a usb to PS2 adapter.

Best of luck bro.

Back