Msi Z270 Gaming Carbon only detects 2 GPUs?

note235

Supreme [H]ardness
Building a third rig for a friend and decided to use the z270 instead of the TB250.

I have:
2x 8GB DDR4
i5 7400
EVGA G2 1300w
2—Geforce 1080 TI via PCIE 16
1—Geforce 1070 via riser
Windows 10 x64

The board is only detecting the 2 1080ti and not the 1070. Any suggestions?
Tried many configs but no go.

Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130973

^^ that board?

That BIOS should have a Board Explorer option in a Tools menu. Does it detect the card there?

What slots have you tried the 1070 with riser in? Unless you're using a 1080 Ti with a massive cooler (like the AORUS), you should be able to run all 3 cards in the 16x slots for at least testing purposes.

If using all 3 16x slots (even with a 1x-16x riser in the last one), you'll likely want to set the PCIe speeds to Gen 2-2-2 and specify an 8x/4x/4x config in the BIOS. If you're using a 1x slot, this shouldn't be necessary.

Disable onboard video (or at least don't plug the monitor into it).

When I did 3 nvidia GPUs mixed on my MB, was a damn nightmare, their drivers really really really suck. When you install make sure you install geforce experience, that's what fixed it for me finally after about 5 reinstalls.

Did I say how bad nvidias drivers suck?

Will go over and try these today. So much easier on the other boards lol.

AMD was the same way.

as said above, good advice.

set PCI express subsystem to PCI E GEN 1 - 4x 4x 4x 4x - or the LOWEST pci e speed for all slots.

neat trick too if you can see the cards in the BOARD EXPLORER (shows slot taken up in bios, but doesnt appear in windows)

Install one card at a time.

Remove card
Uninstall drivers
Shut down
Install one card
Install drivers
Reboot - verify card works

Shut down
Install next card,
verify it works

ETC ETC

really helps with AMD's shit drivers too.

you also may have to plug your monitor in if a card is not hashing even though its correctly installed.

Back