MSI X99A Godlike to RMA or return?

DraginDime

[H]ard|Gawd
Tuesday I got this fancy new MSI X99A Godlike Gaming motherboard. Hooked up the essentials and it posts fine, but the RGB Mystic lighting is DOA. I thought maybe the software needed to be installed for it to work, so I went ahead and installed it in my case since everything else checked out fine. Nope still no lights. Everything else seems to be working fine.

It is just a cosmetic feature really, but for $550 I expect everything to be in working order.
I have a ticket opened with MSI support about the issue currently, but I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a fix. I've been on the MSI forums troubleshooting the problem and so far nothing. I think the hardware that controls the LEDs is just dead.

So comes the question, do I return it to NewEgg for a replacement, or work through with the RMA? I've heard good things about RMA's with MSI, but since this board is brand new, I really feel that I wouldn't be happy with anything less than a brand new board (I know I'm probably answering my own question there). I feel like you are always taking a chance with an RMA, and usually you get back used/repaired replacements.

TL: DR
Got a new MSI board (3 days old as of this post)
has a defect with the RGB lighting
Can return to Newegg, or RMA with MSI
what route would you take?

Why not return it to the place you originally purchased it from and skip the entire RMA process since you just got the board?

I would arrange a refund with Newegg and buy a replacement one under a separate order. That way you don't have to wait for the standard exchange.

Zero reason to go with RMA if you're still within the store return period.

I would arrange a refund with Newegg and buy a replacement one under a separate order. That way you don't have to wait for the standard exchange.

Zero reason to go with RMA if you're still within the store return period.

Good idea, thanks for that.
This is exactly what I will do. Turns out they added a free headset to the motherboard, BONUS!

Yes, Return it if it's still within refund date and just order a new one.

Put in an order for a new one, and NewEgg already approved me for an RMA for a refund. I figure I will swap boards and send the new accessories back with the old one. That way they can't say anything is missing.
I figure it's a good idea to take some very close up pics of the socket and board as well. I really wouldn't want one of those "socket is damaged" bullshit claims. Especially since the board works well, besides the Mystic lights.

Back