MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon Broadwell-E Motherboard @ [H]

Nice videos Marc. I'm set to get the same motherboard, but instead it's gonna be on 5960X and 1 1080 FE. Will eventually add 2nd card.

I heard the 5960x overclock like a monster, I should get one and swap out the 6850k to see if it's much better. I was hoping to get the cpu to 4.6ghz, 4.4 isn't bad.

I heard the 5960x overclock like a monster, I should get one and swap out the 6850k to see if it's much better. I was hoping to get the cpu to 4.6ghz, 4.4 isn't bad.

I doubt that'd you'd get much different results between those two. I'm guessing the 6850k would generally do better because of it's smaller process size and 2 fewer cores.

No it doesn't. 4.5GHz is generally the best you'll see and many don't go above 4.3GHz. I've got two that will do 4.5GHz. One that does it at 1.28v or so and another that needs 1.35v+.

Thanks guys, Im happy with my CPU, i think i really need to put some volts thru it to get it above 4.4 but is 100 or 200 more MHZ worth it? Maybe only for benching. Ive settled on 4.4Ghz @ 1.21 volts. Was Prime stable overnight and temps are 55C to 60C max running Prime. When i game they dont get above 44C.

Thanks guys, Im happy with my CPU, i think i really need to put some volts thru it to get it above 4.4 but is 100 or 200 more MHZ worth it? Maybe only for benching. Ive settled on 4.4Ghz @ 1.21 volts. Was Prime stable overnight and temps are 55C to 60C max running Prime. When i game they dont get above 44C.
I generally keep mine at 4.4GHz because that extra 100MHz costs a lot in terms of voltage and heat output. I don't think it's worth it but that's me.

Okay im in windows at 4500MHZ!! Dropping AVX to -2 and all is stable. I used the settings that you had in the MOBO revies. I just did this before resetting and tweaking.
Here is a early run on 3dmark with 2 EVGA Gtx 1080 F.E.s in sli 6850K , 28,015 score, Grahpics Score of 45,395 i still got more Overclocking to do. The Cpu and the Gpu. GPU Overclocks are Power Limt 120, Temp 92, Core Clock +180, Memory +500.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-6850K,MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A20)

Anyone experience of USB being flaky? Both of my 3.1 USB having issues if my keyboard and mouse are connected to it (orange USB port). Mouse would skip around like it's losing signal and keyboard would turn on and off. Also it would not recognize my DDR4 3000 Ripjaws V series. I could only use 2666 below or 3200 which is weird.

Hmm, no problems here with the USB ports, My RAM is Gskill 3400MHZ. The XMP Profile will load it but the timings were wrong so I just manually entered them and it works like a champ.

Anyone experience of USB being flaky? Both of my 3.1 USB having issues if my keyboard and mouse are connected to it (orange USB port). Mouse would skip around like it's losing signal and keyboard would turn on and off. Also it would not recognize my DDR4 3000 Ripjaws V series. I could only use 2666 below or 3200 which is weird.
Yes! I'm having a lot of issues... I built this rig for streaming, and my webcam is choppy as hell, my USB audio interface cuts out and dies. There's a ton of DPC latency.
I'm using the same gear as my old PC which ran it fine - just way underpowered - so I'm extremely disappointed. It's driving me absolutely insane.

I thought I finally got it to a point where I could stream by setting the renderer in OBS to OpenGL instead of Direct3D 11, which seemed to bypass the major lag... but then I try to run REmake HD and it's stuttering again. Not even a heavy game... it's a fucking joke.

I don't know whether it's a graphics driver issue (of which I've tried multiple versions) or something with the motherboard/chipset/device drivers. All I know is that I want it to be fixed and just work so I can actually use it!!

Yea, mine starting to work again. Just check the MSI forums regarding this board, a lot of people have good info in their. I really hope it's just driver issues.

I don't know what this "good info" is that you're talking about, because I don't see anything useful.

But yeah I need a new BIOS and chipset drivers or something to solve this shit. I desperately hope it's not more complicated than that.

I don't know what this "good info" is that you're talking about, because I don't see anything useful.

But yeah I need a new BIOS and chipset drivers or something to solve this shit. I desperately hope it's not more complicated than that.

lol I guess you'd just have to look on their motherboard forums that might have similar issues you have. There's really something wrong the firmware as mine seems to acting up when the computer is off for period of time. It's annoying

Yes! I'm having a lot of issues... I built this rig for streaming, and my webcam is choppy as hell, my USB audio interface cuts out and dies. There's a ton of DPC latency.
I'm using the same gear as my old PC which ran it fine - just way underpowered - so I'm extremely disappointed. It's driving me absolutely insane.

I thought I finally got it to a point where I could stream by setting the renderer in OBS to OpenGL instead of Direct3D 11, which seemed to bypass the major lag... but then I try to run REmake HD and it's stuttering again. Not even a heavy game... it's a fucking joke.

I don't know whether it's a graphics driver issue (of which I've tried multiple versions) or something with the motherboard/chipset/device drivers. All I know is that I want it to be fixed and just work so I can actually use it!!

Disable any of the MSI software and make sure you have the latest drivers for everything. I've often found that the software packages that come with these boards induce a ton of DPC latency.

I'm having Zero issues with my mobo regarding this, you might want to make sure you aren't using the MSI Usb Speed Up utility.

Sorry to bump a older thread but i got this board about a week ago having a heck of a time getting a decent overclock best i have been able to do with my 6800k is 4.2 ghz with 1.30-1.33 volts stable in realbench and prime 95 avx my max temps are 60c in avx i did do 2 of the tweaks dan had in the review that helped me get 4.2ghz stable any help is welcome.

Sorry to bump a older thread but i got this board about a week ago having a heck of a time getting a decent overclock best i have been able to do with my 6800k is 4.2 ghz with 1.30-1.33 volts stable in realbench and prime 95 avx my max temps are 60c in avx i did do 2 of the tweaks dan had in the review that helped me get 4.2ghz stable any help is welcome.

You may not be able to do better than that. Broadwell-E doesn't overclock as well as the older Haswell-E CPUs do. 4.3GHz is generally where I see Broadwell-E top out at. I've heard of golden examples that can do better but they are few and far between. I've also never seen more than 4.3GHz on any Broadwell-E CPU's personally.

yea 4.2ghz is all i can get out of it i was able to get volts down to 1.31 stable but 4.3 was still not stable at 1.43 barely able to run 3dmark at that.

Back