MSI X79 Motherboard Spy Pics

I would love to see them start spacing PCIe slots a little wider (specifically the 2nd & 3rd slots) for better cooling in triple GPU configurations.

Spy pictures? I thought they were supposed to be released on the 14th...getting tired of intels antics and impatient as I'm trying to build a new X79 rig

Spy pictures? I thought they were supposed to be released on the 14th...getting tired of intels antics and impatient as I'm trying to build a new X79 rig

Intel's antics? Since when is msi intel? Would you prefer amd who announces something and delays it over and over?

I'm just glad that it looks like they're finally killing of the legacy PCI slots...I haven't used a PCI card since about 2002. I still have to use legacy serial ports at work, so it's not like I don't have to use old stuff, I just use a PCIe serial port card. I remember trying to find a good PCIe sound card 6-7 years ago and finally just giving up and using onboard sound since creative drug their feet on updating their cards and when they finally did, they were useless anyway.

I wish motherboard reviews would come out the week before release so I could research the shit out of it and be ready to buy the second they hit.

Woah. DIMMs on BOTH sides of the CPU socket area? Not sure how I feel about that. Not only does it do weird things to airflow, but it centers the HS/fan on the mobo, and in some cases it will no longer be centered under the case's chimney fan...

They do look nice, though!

I really like what MSI's been coming out with lately (still rocking my "Military Class" AM3 mobo), but they're *really* dropping the ball in one way that sticks out to me like a sore thumb: No #&$#ing eSATA sockets! You'd think they'd have at least ONE model with it. Having to use a riser for eSATA ports just adds more clutter inside the case.

Why does the, I'm assuming top end board (top-left), have a molex connector? And why did they put it in such a horrible place (very bottom right of the board under the bottom PCI-E slot)? Please tell me we aren't having deja vu all over again for SLI. Speaking of PCI-E, why did they use two different kinds of slot releases? A bit disappointing on the connector front as well. My P67 has 2 eSATA (one powered even) and 8 SATA (4 SATA-6 and 4 SATA-3). It's also odd that none of them carry dual GBE. There seems to be room for that on the back panel but they just didn't opt to get the additional controller for whatever reason. Seems strange given that high end boards have had dual GBE for years now.

Until M-Audio or some other company that knows how to make a sound card with drivers and hardware that never crashes or conflicts or breaks at all no matter what you do to it comes out with a PCIexpress board I'm not touching anything that lacks a PCI port.

Have problems with any recent game that you cannot seem to solve? Got Realtek motherboard audio? Disable it from bios, uninstall the drivers. Enjoy your now, most likely, fully flawlessly working game.

Why does the, I'm assuming top end board (top-left), have a molex connector? And why did they put it in such a horrible place (very bottom right of the board under the bottom PCI-E slot)? Please tell me we aren't having deja vu all over again for SLI. Speaking of PCI-E, why did they use two different kinds of slot releases? A bit disappointing on the connector front as well. My P67 has 2 eSATA (one powered even) and 8 SATA (4 SATA-6 and 4 SATA-3). It's also odd that none of them carry dual GBE. There seems to be room for that on the back panel but they just didn't opt to get the additional controller for whatever reason. Seems strange given that high end boards have had dual GBE for years now.

It is very likely supplemental power for the PCI-E slots. MSI has done this on a few other boards in the past. It helps out when cards are drawing a lot of power directly from the slot.

Woah. DIMMs on BOTH sides of the CPU socket area? Not sure how I feel about that. Not only does it do weird things to airflow, but it centers the HS/fan on the mobo, and in some cases it will no longer be centered under the case's chimney fan...

They do look nice, though!

Quad channel and keeping them close as possible to the cpu and its on die memory controller.

Will next years IB-E CPUs work on these boards? I'd like to buy one and the lower cost 4 core SB-E next week but if there is no upgrade, I'll just go with a 2600k.
Then again, I have 16 gigs of 1600mhz ram sitting here waiting for quad channels....

Will next years IB-E CPUs work on these boards? I'd like to buy one and the lower cost 4 core SB-E next week but if there is no upgrade, I'll just go with a 2600k.
Then again, I have 16 gigs of 1600mhz ram sitting here waiting for quad channels....

The quad core SB-E will not be released until February 2012. Hex core only on the 14th.

Why are more mATX mobos not spaced like the one featured here? I have a GENE II and the spacing is proper for mATX cases, where you have the 1st slot (nearest to CPU), and 3rd slot as your x16's. 4th slot as your 2nd x16 is fucking stupid for mATX cases as most GPUs worth having are 2 slots in width.

Here is the MSI X79 "Big Bang XPower 2":

Msibingbang22.jpg

If it wasn´t for the minigun and the ammo shaped heat sink, this mother board would look absolutely great. But I guess we will see heat sinks in the shape of a land mine, sand bags, a helicopter and Porta Potties soon too. Does anyone think this junk looks cool?

And without lame heat sink:

Msibingbang23.jpg

More pics here.

I think it's a waste of space and money.

Is there really a subculture that beats off while looking through the side window in the PC chassis every night?

I think it's a waste of space and money.

Is there really a subculture that beats off while looking through the side window in the PC chassis every night?

There's guys who beat off at tattoos, computer bling is no different.

There's guys who beat off at tattoos, computer bling is no different.

Except that tattoos are permanent and usually personal whereas you're still tossing out fiberglass and plastic every 2 to 3 years for an upgrade.

I do like my computer to look nice. That's why I have UV reactive tubing, cold cathode UV tubing, connected to a sound sensor. All housed in a Cosmos 1000.

Six pin power at pci-e slots looks like it will get in way of 2 slots. Second of all the cpu has little room for cpu heatsinks. I hope the move pci-e power to another place on the board at least.

What appears to be the lower-end full ATX one (the lower-left picture, with three x16 slots--apparently the X79A-GD45) seems right up my alley...it's nice and roomy. I just need money...

Back