MSI X570 Tomahawk review: possibly the best $200 X570

AGESA 1.2.0.3b has been running perfect for me so I'm not in any hurry to upgrade to 1.2.0.7...I'll wait for the non-beta release and see if people are reporting any issues over the next few weeks

does 1.2.0.7 enable Secure Boot by default?

Yeah, it was on for me be default. fTPM was, too. They haven't been on by default for the other releases that I've tried. At first I wasn't sure if it actually saved my defaults from last time (those were the first two things I checked), but those were the only changes. I don't really mess with much on my end. I disable audio and the COM port, enable XMP, and set all of my fans to PWM.

Just curious. Did this bios unlock voltage control for 5800X3D's by chance? I have no intention of overclocking, but rather undervolting without using software.

Anyone notice any changes between the beta and final, or did they just stop labeling it as a beta?

is 1.2.0.7 the definitive BIOS for this motherboard?...I'm using 1.2.0.3b and everything is rock solid...I don't like upgrading BIOS versions unless it's really worth it

is 1.2.0.7 the definitive BIOS for this motherboard?...I'm using 1.2.0.3b and everything is rock solid...I don't like upgrading BIOS versions unless it's really worth it

I think so? Feels like after every major BIOS update some people claim that their performance went up or down. Most of it's probably placebo, but it could be related to RAM timings on occasion, too.
At the very least, the AGESA 1.2.0.7 update fixed issues I was having connecting my phone via USB. It also fixes that occasional millisecond hitch some folks were having on other AGESA versions.
I figure I'll install this update later (just in case it is slightly different than then beta) and then I probably won't bother with additional updates. At least unless they're designed to fix something major. The x570 is pretty long in the tooth, so you have to think that most BIOS-level issues have been squared away by this point.

No issues with the final version of the BIOS. It installed really, really quickly (it only took maybe 1 minute in total), leading me to believe it was identical to the beta one. I recall that one taking extra long to install.
It didn't retain any of my settings, though. I don't think I've ever had a BIOS update for this board retain my previous settings. Ditto with my saved settings. Might be an AMD/x570 thing as I've had Intel boards that did.

Before I pull the trigger on buying this would you all say that it has been a great board?

Before I pull the trigger on buying this would you all say that it has been a great board?
Well for me, personally, I love this board. I have zero issues with it and has been rock solid since day one. Best $200 I ever spent.

I don't have much experience with other x570 boards, but I've been happy with it compared to previous other boards I've owned. It has WiFi 6 and a terrific built-in Bluetooth receiver. I've had zero stability issues and XMP has worked fine with the vanilla Corsair 3600 RAM I bought. Plus, there are no weird sections of the board that are tough to access for cables and such. Unless a retailer is marking it up, the price is right, too.

excellent X570 board in terms of price/performance...I love the layout and the Flash BIOS feature saved me a lot of hassle as I was able to flash the BIOS prior to installing the CPU in my system

excellent X570 board in terms of price/performance...I love the layout and the Flash BIOS feature saved me a lot of hassle as I was able to flash the BIOS prior to installing the CPU in my system
This feature saved me sooo much time and energy. Love it.

For what it's worth, I don't know if I've ever read (or watched) anything negative about it. About the worst thing anyone ever has to say about it is that retailers are/were price gouging for it. Either that or MSI's other AMD boards full-on sucked and this is basically an apology for those...which is kind of a good thing.

I wonder why they (MSI) keeps doing that? They put up a beta, then official. Next they remove the official, and put up another new beta.

I wonder why they (MSI) keeps doing that? They put up a beta, then official. Next they remove the official, and put up another new beta.

Yeah, it is awfully weird. I'm just going to keep rocking that last "final" BIOS indefinitely unless there's some kind of issue with it. My crashdumps folder is empty, performance is the same as ever, and I've seen no weird hitches or quirks,

Yeah, it is awfully weird. I'm just going to keep rocking that last "final" BIOS indefinitely unless there's some kind of issue with it. My crashdumps folder is empty, performance is the same as ever, and I've seen no weird hitches or quirks,
Roger that. I'm also on the last official, but as a habit I did d/l the beta. Knowing MSI, they'll remove it once a new official rolls out. I've got a folder full of Bioses for this board.

Do they ever release any sort of change list for these BIOS updates? At least beyond the AGESA version and maybe one more minor detail (like the Secure Boot setting). I'm not expecting a full-on list of RAM types they've tweaked support for or anything, but they could at least get a little more granular. I'd love to know if any of these are ever worth installing or not.

Things are running well for me on the last one, so I'm just going to skip this. Whenever they release another "final" version I'll probably toss it on for good measure. My wife will probably be inheriting this setup in a few months, so I figure I'll update it one more time to whatever the latest/greatest is.

No clue if it's new or if they just pulled the beta tag off the last revision, but there's now a non-beta 7C84v1B BIOS available and dated 8/30. I figure if you never got the last version with AGESA 1.2.0.7, I'd grab this one instead. Unless a big security or performance/compatibility issue discovered, there probably won't be too many more updates for this board. Then again, if they really do release more Zen 3 "3D" processors, they'll have to add support for those.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm still on stock bios I think?? How can I check what version I'm on and what does the bios make a difference with?
Also I tried looking at drivers to download but I don't see an option for my motherboard I only see a mag X570S Tomahawk MAX Wifi!?

I'm still on stock bios I think?? How can I check what version I'm on and what does the bios make a difference with?

Tools like HWINFO and CPU-Z will tell you what BIOS revision you're on. They're free, FYI.
In terms of what new BIOS revisions do, they nearly always add additional compatibility for different types of RAM. Sometimes they'll add support for new processors (like the X3D models) or features like Resizable BAR. With AMD, they also regularly update the AGESA version. That fixes bugs and can even affect performance here and there. Last year an AGESA update fixed a stutter/hitch issue people were having.
You don't need to update your BIOS much, but I'd probably at least go with one of the more recent updates like 7C84v1B. This platform is pretty mature, so there probably aren't a whole lot of important updates coming.

Tools like HWINFO and CPU-Z will tell you what BIOS revision you're on. They're free, FYI.
In terms of what new BIOS revisions do, they nearly always add additional compatibility for different types of RAM. Sometimes they'll add support for new processors (like the X3D models) or features like Resizable BAR. With AMD, they also regularly update the AGESA version. That fixes bugs and can even affect performance here and there. Last year an AGESA update fixed a stutter/hitch issue people were having.
You don't need to update your BIOS much, but I'd probably at least go with one of the more recent updates like 7C84v1B. This platform is pretty mature, so there probably aren't a whole lot of important updates coming.
Thanks here's mine. What you think?

Attachments

• 16766449496565670142123575934122.jpg
    16766449496565670142123575934122.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks here's mine. What you think?

It's from 2020. There have definitely been fixes since then. I'd toss one of the more recent ones on. You'll likely never need to do it again.
It's worth mentioning that your BIOS settings will reset after you update, so you might want to write down any settings you have changed.

It's from 2020. There have definitely been fixes since then. I'd toss one of the more recent ones on. You'll likely never need to do it again.
It's worth mentioning that your BIOS settings will reset after you update, so you might want to write down any settings you have changed.

Definitely should update... SAM support... 5800X3D support... and other fixes since that point... looks like he's on 1.4 from 2020

1676646410471.png

Anything notable to report? I still do not see it posted on the MSI website (same thing happened last time).

I haven't installed it yet. Maybe later this weekend.

Just updated to Win11 a week ago and no problems with a previous BIOS revision.

Back