MSI X570 Tomahawk review: possibly the best $200 X570

D/led and flashed. First thing I notice is CPU temps along with PPT are not registering/shown in AMD's RM software. Didn't have that problem with the 161.

*Update*

Uninstalled RM software, cleaned registry of leftovers. Reinstalled. Issues now are:

Cpu Temp: Not recognized/displayed
PPT : Not recognized/displayed
Cpu Voltages (Current/peaked) Not recognized/displayed

C'mon MSI, this is bullshit!

I've had no issues with the most recent update or the prior one, but I'm also not 100% sure what the issues were prior. Posts keep mentioning USB issues on PCIe 4 systems. I have PCIe 4 enabled and have 3 USB dongles that never leave my system, ever. Wireless dongles for both my KB and mouse as well as MS's Xbox controller dongle. I use 'em all constantly and have had no connectivity issues. I use a wireless USB headset a couple hours each day, too. No issues there. Ditto with plugging in my phone to transfer photos and music. I'm not saying there are no issues, but they might be isolated to specific situations. If your system is one of those, it suuuucks, but it might not be something for most people to fret over.

I've had no issues with the most recent update or the prior one, but I'm also not 100% sure what the issues were prior. Posts keep mentioning USB issues on PCIe 4 systems. I have PCIe 4 enabled and have 3 USB dongles that never leave my system, ever. Wireless dongles for both my KB and mouse as well as MS's Xbox controller dongle. I use 'em all constantly and have had no connectivity issues. I use a wireless USB headset a couple hours each day, too. No issues there. Ditto with plugging in my phone to transfer photos and music. I'm not saying there are no issues, but they might be isolated to specific situations. If your system is one of those, it suuuucks, but it might not be something for most people to fret over.
Are all your temps and voltages reading correctly? I've seen many reports of them not reporting after updating.

Mine was USB headsets shutting off randomly, and drives "stopping" and then having trouble waking up. Generally a "new plugged" device worked fine (phone), but something hooked up long term? Would go to sleep and not wake up.

Are all your temps and voltages reading correctly? I've seen many reports of them not reporting after updating.

I read the other day (I think on overclock.net) that doing a reset to optimum defaults in the BIOS and rebooting fixed that issue for those who had it.

sam

Picked one up from Mug on these boards. Gonna drop a 3900x in it for our youngest going into graphic design.

Are latest BIOS always labeled beta?

I was wondering that, too. There's no "Beta" listing beside the older BIOS listings on their website, but it was there back when they were the latest version.

Flashed the latest BIOS - no new issues, but the RGB control problem for two of my Crucial Ballistix RGB modules is still present.

The first set (with no problems) was purchased last September. The second set (with no way to control the RGB) was purchased in March.

After some research, looks to be a Crucial firmware issue with the newer run of modules that is causing problems in some MSI X570 motherboards. No fix yet. They have addressed an RGB control problem with some of the newer Asus MoBos (as of last September), but I can't find anything that fixes this problem for folks with an MSI MoBo).

Crucial M.O.D. won't even launch on my system, so I can't even read the firmware revisions on each RAM module.

You know what I noticed? They removed the B-161, but left B-163. Still no official release. HWInfo and Aida both report the same temps, however RM Software is borked and doesn't show either :rolleyes:

msi163.JPG

Still stable @ 4.9Ghz and 1.4v

This update gave me quite the scare. I tried to update it via the LiveUpdate program and that did NOT work. It rebooted, sat there with a blank screen for about 15 minutes (I didn't want to interrupt anything, so I just let it sit) and basically did nothing. When I reset my PC, 3 of the board troubleshooting lights came on! No luck with any keys to get to a BIOS or post screen, either. I eventually yanked the battery and that did the trick. I finally got the lights to go off and the computer posted. Afterward I was able to download the new BIOS and install it via the M-Flash in the BIOS. Never had an issue with LiveUpdate before, but I'm not going to use it again with this board.

This update gave me quite the scare. I tried to update it via the LiveUpdate program and that did NOT work. It rebooted, sat there with a blank screen for about 15 minutes (I didn't want to interrupt anything, so I just let it sit) and basically did nothing. When I reset my PC, 3 of the board troubleshooting lights came on! No luck with any keys to get to a BIOS or post screen, either. I eventually yanked the battery and that did the trick. I finally got the lights to go off and the computer posted. Afterward I was able to download the new BIOS and install it via the M-Flash in the BIOS. Never had an issue with LiveUpdate before, but I'm not going to use it again with this board.

As you found, it's always better to use the M-Flash in the BIOS, or whatever is the lowest level most stable and controlled environment.
I'm an IT guy and I avoid Windows based BIOS updates whenever possible.

wasn't the previous BIOS also based on Agesa 1.2.0.2?...or is this just the non-beta version?

IIRC the previous beta was based on 1.2.0.1, as I just flashed that when they were like oh here is 1.2.0.2 and I didn't update for over a month.

I can report that I am now on 1.2.0.2 with no issues/instability problems. I don't use that live update crap, you can trust Windows to fuck up somehow someway. Always flash via BIOS/usb stick/UPS between the PC/wall etc etc.

I hear the Patch B BIOS resolves all USB issues that users have been facing on Ryzen 5000 systems...

I just want a patch to fix the RGB control issue for my second set of Ballistix with differing firmware than my first set.

I'll give it a try later. I actually experienced a USB drop for the first time the other day. My webcam dropped out in the middle of a meeting. It reconnected almost immediately, but I had to bail out and re-connect to get it to show up again. Per a couple videos, the dropouts and re-connects are super, super fast so I might've encountered others with my KB/M and just never noticed.

I'll give it a go. Currently on 1.2.0.2 working on my curve optimizer setup, haven't bothered seeing if my RAM can do 3800 CL14 yet. Haven't had any USB issues since I built this rig 9 months ago or so

I just want a patch to fix the RGB control issue for my second set of Ballistix with differing firmware than my first set.

Have you checked the firmware update in iCue? I know there has been 2 firmware updates for my dominators since I bought them in late 2019.

I installed this BIOS update a few hours ago and everything has been normal thus far. On the RGB front, I'm puzzled why this motherboard hides the RGB controls in the BIOS. They're there if you're in "basic" mode, but not in the normal/advanced mode. I'm one of those people that wants to turn all that stuff off, so I was eventually able to do so via a combination of Dragon Center, iCue, and that toggle in the BIOS.

I'm puzzled why this motherboard hides the RGB controls in the BIOS. They're there if you're in "basic" mode, but not in the normal/advanced mode. I'm one of those people that wants to turn all that stuff off, so I was eventually able to do so via a combination of Dragon Center, iCue, and that toggle in the BIOS.

I really wish I knew why - there is absolutely no reason for it not to be in there. Good news is if you turn it off in Simpleton mode then switch back to Advanced it stays off. I refuse to install extra poorly coded software to disable ridiculous lights that I don't need or care about.

As it sits I have to install the 'G.Skill Trident Z Lighting Control' just to shut the stupid LEDs on my RAM off which after a little bit of uptime the software bugs out and maxes out 1 CPU core idling in the background. Granted - it's hard to notice performance wise but when trouble shooting why your CPU is idling in the 50C range with a nice water cooling setup and you find shit like this it gets really old. Task Scheduler & taskkill solved that problem...ugh

I just flashed to 7C84v172(Beta version) but now my temps are not working.

I have cleared the BIOS. Any other suggestions?

Working after a reinstall of Ryzen Master!

Have you checked the firmware update in iCue? I know there has been 2 firmware updates for my dominators since I bought them in late 2019.

Didn't even know that iCue would do that. Been trying to use Crucial MOD, but it won't even launch.

Yep my bad...for some reason I was thinking it was...dont know why as I have sticks from crucial.

No worries...I actually tinkered around with it last night.

1. Updated MSI Center (replaced Dragon Center) to the latest version.
2. Removed the old Crucial M.O.D. version that I could never get to launch.
3. Installed the latest Crucial M.O.D. version available at their website.
4. IT WORKS - I now have total control over all four DIMMs, even though MSI Mystic Lighting still can't access and control the RGB for my two newer revision modules.

I just realized this is the motherboard I have, bought it on a whim at Microcenter. Glad I chose wisely!

I usually stick with MSI just because I know their BIOS in-and-out and have had good luck with reliability lately. Seems their earlier AM4 boards suuuucked, though. I nearly bought one of the earlier models but started researching this one after overhearing a conversation at MC.

Back