MSI X570 Tomahawk review: possibly the best $200 X570

Here is the buildzoid review of the board

I had mostly decided on this board already at the point this came out, mainly due to having enough PCIe slots and USB ports. He gave it a good review, and Ive been happy with my purchase.

Perfect. Exactly why I'm looking at it.

Perfect. Exactly why I'm looking at it.
When can I buy one? They announced it how long ago? x670 boards will be coming out by the time this thing is available. I'm betting you won't see this for $200 within the next 6 months. I'd honestly be surprised if you can get it for under $250 in the next month or two (if I'm wrong, I may just get one, but I'm probably pretty safe).

When can I buy one? They announced it how long ago? x670 boards will be coming out by the time this thing is available. I'm betting you won't see this for $200 within the next 6 months. I'd honestly be surprised if you can get it for under $250 in the next month or two (if I'm wrong, I may just get one, but I'm probably pretty safe).
I’m looking at the Prestige X570. Just saw the VRM comment to ask about it. :)

Hmmm, I have one and am typing this message from a PC built using this board...
OK, then show me where to buy it for $199. It's good for you that you have it, but all the stores I checked, haven't got it yet (newegg, amazon, microcenter)
So maybe you can enlighten us!?

i bought it as a pre-order from overclockers.co.uk for £218.

they have had a second batch of stock around a week after the first.

i bought it as a pre-order from overclockers.co.uk for £218.

they have had a second batch of stock around a week after the first.
So you got it for $273 give or take... That doesn't make it the best $200 board. That makes it a decent just under $300/over $250 board.

i'm including VAT (@ 20%), which i believe is not normal practice in retail dollar pricing, so probably closer to $225?]

yes, when this board was first announced they were talking about a $190-200 price range, but in the mean time we've seen a global pandemic that has knackered manufacturing supply chains.

my thoughts on the value of this board is that it basically matches the Aorus Master specs which released at £360, and still retails for about £320. £100 more than i paid.

i'm including VAT (@ 20%), which i believe is not normal practice in retail dollar pricing, so probably closer to $225?]

yes, when this board was first announced they were talking about a $190-200 price range, but in the mean time we've seen a global pandemic that has knackered manufacturing supply chains.

my thoughts on the value of this board is that it basically matches the Aorus Master specs which released at £360, and still retails for about £320. £100 more than i paid.
I just did a direct conversion, so if it's $225 it's still a great deal for what it is. Even at $250 it's a good deal. I'm actually surprised you found one that well priced with the x570 shortage and everything.

Still, no where available in the USA... No boards are really available for MSRP.
I bet the same will happen with the new GPUs in September. First batch and that's it.

Desktop component manufacturers are probably throwing their production historic cycles out since lockdown is pushing a desktop resurgence.

People ive known for years are streaming out of the blue.

PC gaming is a thing again bc you can watch only so much content before going insane.

Free to play games are driving a bunch of my buddies kids to look at a PC instead of PS5 or Nintendo Switch.

so if the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk is the best price/performance board, what is the 2nd best?...Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi or Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite?

If both are configured without WiFi, the ASUS is $30 cheaper, and as an owner of one, I feel their positioning is about appropriate.

Gigabyte has more USB ports on the backside, and an USB-C header (the ASUS has USB-C on the backside but no header).

I feel the PCIe layout of the Gigabyte is a bit better (on the ASUS, a larger GPU will obscure one of the PCIeX1 slots).

It is the best $200 X570 that you can never buy.
a seller in China has it posted at Newegg for $390 + $75 S/H ... what's the problem? LOL

B&H Photo website says the following:

$219.00
Back-Ordered
Expected availability: Jun 26, 2020

Last edited:
If AMD is as quick with the X670 chipset as they were with the B550, we still have some time with the X570 chipsets. So at some point it should be available. But is X570 still really needed?

X570 has a lot of uses above what a B550 can give. You just have to know you need it to justify it. Mostly deals with utilizing the rest of the PCIE lanes that the chipset can offer.

But for most people who will be running 1 GPU, wifi, 1gbps lan, a few SATA drives and an M2 drive or two, B550 is all you need.

Other devices (mainly GPUs) being PCIE 4.0 ready should also help the case for B550 since you can do more with less lanes. Same holds true for X570 but I don't see many people saturating PCIE 4.0 at this point within AM4's lifetime.

I'd like to get the MSI X570 Tomahawk but if it doesn't come in stock soon I'll just get whatever the top ranked B550 board is in terms of price/performance (MSI B550 Tomahawk? Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite?)

X570 has a lot of uses above what a B550 can give. You just have to know you need it to justify it. Mostly deals with utilizing the rest of the PCIE lanes that the chipset can offer.

But for most people who will be running 1 GPU, wifi, 1gbps lan, a few SATA drives and an M2 drive or two, B550 is all you need.

Other devices (mainly GPUs) being PCIE 4.0 ready should also help the case for B550 since you can do more with less lanes. Same holds true for X570 but I don't see many people saturating PCIE 4.0 at this point within AM4's lifetime.

Unless you’re on the edge of the prosumer space. I’m planning on running 3-4 NVMe drives, gpu, sata SSDs, etc. I’m right on the edge between X570 and jumping to thread ripper

Unless you’re on the edge of the prosumer space. I’m planning on running 3-4 NVMe drives, gpu, sata SSDs, etc. I’m right on the edge between X570 and jumping to thread ripper

If the MSI X570 ACE or the GB X570 Aorus Master doesn't look appealing, it's likely TRX40 for you :p

If the MSI X570 ACE or the GB X570 Aorus Master doesn't look appealing, it's likely TRX40 for you :p

Prestige x570 Creator is top on my list I think, followed by the Ace, and then the Crosshair from ASUS.

I don't trust Gigabyte with AMD boards - too much bad luck (love their GPUs and Intel boards though).

I'd like to get the MSI X570 Tomahawk but if it doesn't come in stock soon I'll just get whatever the top ranked B550 board is in terms of price/performance (MSI B550 Tomahawk? Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite?)
It's tough finding a B550 board in stock either...

if this Tomahawk doesn't come in stock soon I might just get tempted to wait for Zen 3...

I managed to snag an X570 Tomahawk from Newegg last month, they have had them slowly trickling in.
Got bored while the tax lady was working on my taxes and checked Newegg on my phone, was shocked to see it in stock!
Newegg price was $219.

It's running well with a 3900XT for the last couple of weeks. No issues.

I was on the B&H notify list, but they haven't had any of them at all from what I could tell.
Keep checking Newegg if you are still looking for one.

May help to use nowinstock.net to setup an alert and look at the restock times listed.

I finally picked up the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk...it was in stock early this morning on Amazon ($219.99)...it showed an expected delivery date of August 25th but late this afternoon that changed to a Delivery date of this Friday (August 14th)

I'm not going to open the box yet as I'm waiting for Zen 3 to start my build and am just collecting the parts...will new motherboards launch with Zen 3?...what about a new chipset (X670?)...if so I might pick one of those up instead and either return or sell the MAG X570

Last edited:
I finally picked up the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk...it was in stock early this morning on Amazon ($219.99)...it showed an expected delivery date of August 25th but late this afternoon that changed to a Delivery date of this Friday (August 14th)
Haha, that might have been me. I bought one on amazon with an expected delivery of 8-14, but then I decided to cancel it because I went and grabbed an ASROCK X570 Taichi off newegg instead...

Haha, that might have been me. I bought one on amazon with an expected delivery of 8-14, but then I decided to cancel it because I went and grabbed an ASROCK X570 Taichi off newegg instead...

why did you go with the Taichi over the MAG?...the TechSpot Taichi review mentioned 'Noisy fan must be manually turned down'

Last edited:
why did you go with the Taichi over the MAG?
I thought about it and for my use case, the $80 extra upfront for the extra PCI-E 16x, extra m.2 and having 2 more SATA ports will be more beneficial to me in the long run.

I lose out on the 2.5GB lan, but I now have the extra PCI-E slot to throw in a 10GB card when I upgrade my network later.

Last edited:
Also, manually turning down the fan isn't a concern as I make custom fan profiles for everything anyway. Also I've heard that later BIOS updates fixed a lot of the launch issues.

I'm not going to open the box yet as I'm waiting for Zen 3 to start my build and am just collecting the parts...will new motherboards launch with Zen 3?...what about a new chipset (X670?)...if so I might pick one of those up instead and either return or sell the MAG X570
Most likely there will be an x670, but I do it know of any official word. My guess is not much difference, maybe a few extra features, hopefully they can get rid of the chipset fan, one less moving part. No clue honestly though, even if it comes out I can't imagine you would be missing much.

Most likely there will be an x670, but I do it know of any official word. My guess is not much difference, maybe a few extra features, hopefully they can get rid of the chipset fan, one less moving part. No clue honestly though, even if it comes out I can't imagine you would be missing much.

Given the x570 chip is based on a matisse die, I suspect that may be here to stay for a bit. LOTS of IO power tied up in that stuff.

the removal of the chipset fan alone would be a major improvement/upgrade for a lot of people

I received my X570 Tomahawk today...looks better in person then in pictures...I don't like boards with too many flashy colors and RGB...now the big decision- wait for Zen 3 or just get a 3700X...and no I'm not going to get a 3700X now and then tear everything apart in a few months and get a new Zen 3...

I'm still waiting on news of Zen 3 + X670 boards...I have the MSI X570 Tomahawk and have 2 more weeks to return it...

I received my X570 Tomahawk today...looks better in person then in pictures...I don't like boards with too many flashy colors and RGB...now the big decision- wait for Zen 3 or just get a 3700X...and no I'm not going to get a 3700X now and then tear everything apart in a few months and get a new Zen 3...

Why not? I can't imagine that X670 is going to bring some killer feature you can't live without. And you can just update the bios and go with the X570 board. Might as well enjoy it now even if you get something like a cheap 3600 as a stopgap.

Why not? I can't imagine that X670 is going to bring some killer feature you can't live without. And you can just update the bios and go with the X570 board. Might as well enjoy it now even if you get something like a cheap 3600 as a stopgap.

if the X670 boards bring the same basic features but no chipset fan then it's a huge upgrade...;)

if the X670 boards bring the same basic features but no chipset fan then it's a huge upgrade...;)

Fair enough. You could probably argue that the B550 does that already. If the chipset fan is that big of a turnoff, then I'd return the board while it's still in your return window. It didn't bother me, but I get it that different people have different subjective preferences ;).

I'm not crazy about the chipset fan either, but it's really not a problem.

The X570 Tomahawk is a very nice mobo. Mine has been running great with no issues.
Update it to the newest BIOS and set the chipset fan for Silent mode.

I picked up one of these after my X470 Taichi committed suicide (rebooted itself during bios downgrade because new bios was terrible). I must say I'm impressed after the struggles of the X470 Taichi. Even on the release BIOS it came right up, offered me DDR4-4000 speeds that my ram was rated for, and booted right to Windows without complaint or instability. I updated to the latest bios (which also has flashback protection btw, I don't know HOW a board like the X470 Taichi could not have this feature for its price tier) and I dialed my ram settings right in from DRAM Calculator and its running like a champ and never missed a beat. I dialed in my undervolt and my 3900X is boosting higher by ~75Mhz than it did on the Taichi. I haven't owned an MSI board in ages but I'm impressed.

Back