MSI X570 Tomahawk review: possibly the best $200 X570

I feel pretty fortunate that my issues with this board (and processor/RAM setup) have been pretty minimal. That said, my next build will be back on an Intel platform, too. I don't miss the Spectre, Meltdown, etc. exploits, but I do miss how completely trouble-free my experiences were. I also like how basically everything on my board was Intel hardware. Every AMD setup I've ever had (going back to the 90's) has had a mishmash of OEM parts (Network, wireless, Bluetooth, sound, etc.) that required a pile of drivers from all over the place. Intel's driver assistant was all I needed, other than Nvidia drivers, for years.

I don't plan on upgrading my CPU/motherboard for at least another 2-3 years...the 5800X/X570 Tomahawk combo has been running smooth with no issues...only issue I had was with the Realtek audio drivers which had a very processed sound to it...I went back to the default Windows drivers (May 2020) and now everything sounds perfect

Last edited:
At least in my case, it'll probably come down to my wife's system. She gets my hand-me-down parts, so if if something in hers goes kaput (she's on an 8700K/Z370 Carbon), I'll bite the bullet and give her this. If all goes well, I figure I'll upgrade in 18'ish months is/when something that seems compelling comes out. Either way, there's a very strong chance I'll go back to the blue team. A lot can happen in 2 years, but at this point I think I'm committed to a blue+green combo moving forward.

I don't plan on upgrading my CPU/motherboard for at least another 2-3 years...the 5800X/X570 Tomahawk combo has been running smooth with no issues...only issue I had was with the Realtek audio drivers which had a very processed sound to it...I went back to the default Windows drivers (May 2020) and now everything sounds perfect
Same here but plans often change when the upgrade bug bites. Gonna have to be very compelling though because I've been absolutely thrilled with my current rig for 2 yrs now and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

MSI rolls out AGESA 1.2.0.6c BIOS Firmware for select 500-Series Motherboards

AGESA 1.2.0.6c:

-Security Patch for Raven Ridge / Picasso APU
-Support Vermeer-X CPU (Ryzen 7 5800X3D)
-Performance Improvements

another interesting feature added in the new BIOS is the reenabling of the 'Max CPU Boost Clock Override' option for AMD's Vermeer (Ryzen 5000) CPUs...more MSI motherboards will receive the BIOS update in the coming weeks...

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-x570-b550-beta-bios-update-bug-status.348919/

Last edited:
Hopefully the X570 Tomahawk will get one of these sooner than later. For a minute I thought we did, but it was the B550 instead.

are you able to revert back to an older BIOS with this motherboard?...I know some boards don't allow you to go back

The 1.83 beta is a later version than the 1.80 (current official version), so I'd imagine so. I haven't tried going back, but MSI usually lets you flash to whatever you want.

I'll have to install this later tonight. Hopefully I don't bork my Windows install again :p

it's at the top of the list...7C84v191 (Beta version)...dated March 23 2022
This is what I see:

1648054864130.png

Try a different browser/OS/computer.
Weird, my buddy just tried it and it still shows the old version.

I'm going to wait until it comes out beta anyways. I've just been waiting a while due to the recent bugs.

I'm in the Mountain region and it showed up and installed fine. In fact, it works great. No issues with my Windows install and my RAM speeds stay higher than they were. Nothing huge, but more steady, with dips that don't go as low. It isn't the magical 1.2.0.7 release, but it's steady + a slight improvement for me.

I'm in the Mountain region and it showed up and installed fine. In fact, it works great. No issues with my Windows install and my RAM speeds stay higher than they were. Nothing huge, but more steady, with dips that don't go as low. It isn't the magical 1.2.0.7 release, but it's steady + a slight improvement for me.
Thanks! I see it available now and will try it out.

I thought you were going to wait until it comes out of beta? :D
Ha! You got me :)

Since it seems they ironed out the bugs and I havent fiddled with it since last year, I think I will give it a try.

BIOS seems stable, gaming is solid and XMP is working without issue. I did notice a bit of a decrease in my Cinebench score of about 4%.

BIOS seems stable, gaming is solid and XMP is working without issue. I did notice a bit of a decrease in my Cinebench score of about 4%.
XMP has never worked right with mine. Upon cold boot I get the 1-long, 2-short beep. Swapped memory and still get the same issue with XMP enabled. Disable XMP, set timings/voltage manually and no problem.

Related to XMP, what profile are most people using? Seems they are different per what some people have posted on Reddit and even on MSI's forums.

Related to XMP, what profile are most people using? Seems they are different per what some people have posted on Reddit and even on MSI's forums.
I don't know the specifics but I just click the A-XMP button (once) in the BIOS which sets my RAM at 3600.

I don't know the specifics but I just click the A-XMP button (once) in the BIOS which sets my RAM at 3600.

That's profile #1. It's what I'm using, too. If you press it again, it'll apply profile #2. At least a few people have suggested that profile 2 tweaks some values, but it's always tough to trust random internet voices. I was curious if anyone here (a place I trust more than Reddit and such) had any insight.

I just use the XMP profile that matches my RAM timings, which is Profile 1- my G.Skill timings are 16-16-16-36...everything is running perfectly smooth with AGESA 1.2.0.3b...I'll only update my BIOS if I hear something amazing about a future version- 1.2.0.7 sounds like it might be a good one

On my RAM at least I have found no difference between the A and B values using ZenTimings (and I think Thaiphoon Burner also but it's been awhile).

I think some modules can have two profiles, and IIRC one of the other mainboard manufacturers tweaks the second XMP profile a bit more but I can't remember where I read that.

new beta AGESA 1.2.0.6c BIOS released for the X570 Tomahawk..

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/support

the 1.2.0.6c BIOS now looks to be out of beta and the final version is showing up on the MSI support website

also MSI has released its official AMD AGESA 1.2.0.7 BIOS firmware for its high-end MEG X570 series motherboards...as of right now, the four top MSI boards including the MEG X570 GODLIKE, MEG X570S ACE MAX, MEG X570 ACE and the MEG X570S Unify-X have received the BIOS...hopefully they release the BIOS for the Tomahawk soon

I figure I'll skip the non-beta 1.2.0.6c with the 7 coming soon. Even if this board lags behind a little, the 1.2.0.7 does enough that they aren't going to sit on it that long.

I figure I'll skip the non-beta 1.2.0.6c with the 7 coming soon. Even if this board lags behind a little, the 1.2.0.7 does enough that they aren't going to sit on it that long.

I've been fine with 1.2.0.3b with zero issues but I do plan on upgrading to the 1.2.0.7 BIOS as rumors say it's pretty solid (eliminates all the stuttering issues that were reported with fTPM)

MSI is rolling out the 1.2.0.7 BIOS for a boatload of their boards right now. This board always seems to lag behind, but with a little luck we should be getting it soon. I'll check back each morning and post something if I see it.
I figure this will probably be the last BIOS most of us ever need for this board. At least assuming you aren't having any issues afterward.

Back