MSI X570 Tomahawk review: possibly the best $200 X570

lopoetve

Imhotep
Here is the buildzoid review of the board

I had mostly decided on this board already at the point this came out, mainly due to having enough PCIe slots and USB ports. He gave it a good review, and Ive been happy with my purchase.
Perfect. Exactly why I'm looking at it.

Ready4Dis

[H]ard|Gawd
Perfect. Exactly why I'm looking at it.
When can I buy one? They announced it how long ago? x670 boards will be coming out by the time this thing is available. I'm betting you won't see this for $200 within the next 6 months. I'd honestly be surprised if you can get it for under $250 in the next month or two (if I'm wrong, I may just get one, but I'm probably pretty safe).

lopoetve

Imhotep
When can I buy one? They announced it how long ago? x670 boards will be coming out by the time this thing is available. I'm betting you won't see this for $200 within the next 6 months. I'd honestly be surprised if you can get it for under $250 in the next month or two (if I'm wrong, I may just get one, but I'm probably pretty safe).
I’m looking at the Prestige X570. Just saw the VRM comment to ask about it. :)

Hmmm, I have one and am typing this message from a PC built using this board...
OK, then show me where to buy it for $199. It's good for you that you have it, but all the stores I checked, haven't got it yet (newegg, amazon, microcenter)
So maybe you can enlighten us!?

Jedibeeftrix

Limp Gawd
i bought it as a pre-order from overclockers.co.uk for £218.

they have had a second batch of stock around a week after the first.

Ready4Dis

[H]ard|Gawd
i bought it as a pre-order from overclockers.co.uk for £218.

they have had a second batch of stock around a week after the first.
So you got it for $273 give or take... That doesn't make it the best $200 board. That makes it a decent just under $300/over $250 board.

Jedibeeftrix

Limp Gawd
i'm including VAT (@ 20%), which i believe is not normal practice in retail dollar pricing, so probably closer to $225?]

yes, when this board was first announced they were talking about a $190-200 price range, but in the mean time we've seen a global pandemic that has knackered manufacturing supply chains.

my thoughts on the value of this board is that it basically matches the Aorus Master specs which released at £360, and still retails for about £320. £100 more than i paid.

Ready4Dis

[H]ard|Gawd
i'm including VAT (@ 20%), which i believe is not normal practice in retail dollar pricing, so probably closer to $225?]

yes, when this board was first announced they were talking about a $190-200 price range, but in the mean time we've seen a global pandemic that has knackered manufacturing supply chains.

my thoughts on the value of this board is that it basically matches the Aorus Master specs which released at £360, and still retails for about £320. £100 more than i paid.
I just did a direct conversion, so if it's $225 it's still a great deal for what it is. Even at $250 it's a good deal. I'm actually surprised you found one that well priced with the x570 shortage and everything.

Still, no where available in the USA... No boards are really available for MSRP.
I bet the same will happen with the new GPUs in September. First batch and that's it.

somebrains

Gawd
Desktop component manufacturers are probably throwing their production historic cycles out since lockdown is pushing a desktop resurgence.

People ive known for years are streaming out of the blue.

PC gaming is a thing again bc you can watch only so much content before going insane.

Free to play games are driving a bunch of my buddies kids to look at a PC instead of PS5 or Nintendo Switch.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
so if the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk is the best price/performance board, what is the 2nd best?...Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi or Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite?

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
If both are configured without WiFi, the ASUS is $30 cheaper, and as an owner of one, I feel their positioning is about appropriate.

Gigabyte has more USB ports on the backside, and an USB-C header (the ASUS has USB-C on the backside but no header).

I feel the PCIe layout of the Gigabyte is a bit better (on the ASUS, a larger GPU will obscure one of the PCIeX1 slots).

HAL_404

Gawd
It is the best $200 X570 that you can never buy.
a seller in China has it posted at Newegg for $390 + $75 S/H ... what's the problem? LOL

B&H Photo website says the following:

$219.00
Back-Ordered
Expected availability: Jun 26, 2020

Last edited:
If AMD is as quick with the X670 chipset as they were with the B550, we still have some time with the X570 chipsets. So at some point it should be available. But is X570 still really needed?

mda

[H]ard|Gawd
X570 has a lot of uses above what a B550 can give. You just have to know you need it to justify it. Mostly deals with utilizing the rest of the PCIE lanes that the chipset can offer.

But for most people who will be running 1 GPU, wifi, 1gbps lan, a few SATA drives and an M2 drive or two, B550 is all you need.

Other devices (mainly GPUs) being PCIE 4.0 ready should also help the case for B550 since you can do more with less lanes. Same holds true for X570 but I don't see many people saturating PCIE 4.0 at this point within AM4's lifetime.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I'd like to get the MSI X570 Tomahawk but if it doesn't come in stock soon I'll just get whatever the top ranked B550 board is in terms of price/performance (MSI B550 Tomahawk? Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite?)

lopoetve

Imhotep
X570 has a lot of uses above what a B550 can give. You just have to know you need it to justify it. Mostly deals with utilizing the rest of the PCIE lanes that the chipset can offer.

But for most people who will be running 1 GPU, wifi, 1gbps lan, a few SATA drives and an M2 drive or two, B550 is all you need.

Other devices (mainly GPUs) being PCIE 4.0 ready should also help the case for B550 since you can do more with less lanes. Same holds true for X570 but I don't see many people saturating PCIE 4.0 at this point within AM4's lifetime.
Unless you’re on the edge of the prosumer space. I’m planning on running 3-4 NVMe drives, gpu, sata SSDs, etc. I’m right on the edge between X570 and jumping to thread ripper

mda

[H]ard|Gawd
Unless you’re on the edge of the prosumer space. I’m planning on running 3-4 NVMe drives, gpu, sata SSDs, etc. I’m right on the edge between X570 and jumping to thread ripper
If the MSI X570 ACE or the GB X570 Aorus Master doesn't look appealing, it's likely TRX40 for you :p

lopoetve

Imhotep
If the MSI X570 ACE or the GB X570 Aorus Master doesn't look appealing, it's likely TRX40 for you :p
Prestige x570 Creator is top on my list I think, followed by the Ace, and then the Crosshair from ASUS.

I don't trust Gigabyte with AMD boards - too much bad luck (love their GPUs and Intel boards though).

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
I'd like to get the MSI X570 Tomahawk but if it doesn't come in stock soon I'll just get whatever the top ranked B550 board is in terms of price/performance (MSI B550 Tomahawk? Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite?)
It's tough finding a B550 board in stock either...

polonyc2

Fully [H]
if this Tomahawk doesn't come in stock soon I might just get tempted to wait for Zen 3...