MSI X570 Prestige Creation -- Slow SATA Speeds?

night_2004

2[H]4U
I just got Windows 10 installed on a new build, and the computer is busy importing a software RAID1 array (two dynamic disks) from my old rig. The task manager is reporting ~90MB/s read/write speeds (a finding confirmed by HD Tune). I'm pretty sure the resync process is just pure sequential I/O. My old rig (Z87 w/ i7-4770K) was hitting 200MB/s with the same disks and an updated Windows 10 install with the same resync operation.

Does anyone have experience troubleshooting SATA speeds on the X570 chipset or this specific motherboard?

Sorry, not helpful here. If it's sequential I would think it'd be much higher, heck I get over 100MB/s with my spinning rust. I guess it could depend on what else is going on in the background. Any other tasks hitting the array while it's rebuilding?

Well there's something going on, but I can't pinpoint it. An SSD attached to the chipset SATA ports is hitting 350MB/s no issue. I've turned off W10's indexing, there's no page file on that disk, and this is a fresh install that isn't doing any work yet. So I'm not sure what's going on.

I found a reference on Reddit but see no such setting in my BIOS, nor do I know if that's the real problem since the SSD hits full speed.

bad cable(s)?

Maybe. I'm also getting intermittent connectivity with the optical drive too. Sometimes it is there, sometimes it is not.

EDIT: Nope, changed out the cables with SATA cables from my old rig (no issues there) and the speeds are the same.

Last edited:
I don't know why, but after deleting the array and recreating it I'm up to 250MB/s+. In RAIDXpert2 those disks now show as having a "Type" of "Disk" instead of "Legacy". Maybe that was the issue. Restoring data from backup now.
OK, down to the optical drive issue alone...

Last edited:
I have this same board, havent noticed any slowdowns on sata. I do know they released a bios update for optical drive issues, so you may want to flash that one.

I don't know why, but after deleting the array and recreating it I'm up to 250MB/s+. In RAIDXpert2 those disks now show as having a "Type" of "Disk" instead of "Legacy". Maybe that was the issue. Restoring data from backup now.
OK, down to the optical drive issue alone...
This is what I was going to suggest is rebuild the array. Even with software raid you can run into weird problems where it is "working properly" but has some odd issue like you encountered.

might of already fixed this but i had same issue sorta it is linking to doing a all core overclock for some reason when i do that my sata speeds tank but if i do a pbo or ccd overclock its fine.

Back