MSI X370 Motherboard UEFI Support for Precision Boost 2

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Editor-in-Chief HardOCP Staff Member

I reached out to MSI last week to see when and if it would be updating its X370 chipset motherboards to support Precision Boost 2, that we found to work so good on our water cooled Ryzen 2700X, and it tells us that the support is already in all its X370 EFI. That seems like it happened fairly quickly, but I guess that is a good thing.

The X370 BIOS on the website [already] supports AMD Precision Boost 2.

Templar_X likes this.
  2. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

It's nice to see this is moving along.

AMD is tick-tocking along with their new arch, and the board partners are taking it seriously as well.

Now, I wonder if there has been any word on a second gen Threadripper....

Vercinaigh and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  3. pgaster

pgaster [H]ard|Gawd

I was just reading their forums and came across a thread where a guy got some great results at stock speeds with a water cooled 2700X:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=302946.0

2700X installed on X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

"Enter BIOS. Set CPU and RAM setting to stock. Save BIOS profile to preserve fan and water pump curves.
    Restart and enter BIOS. Set BIOS on default and restart to ensure all was successful.
    Shut down.
    Removed 1600 CPU / Installed 2700X
    Boot to BIOS. BIOS noted that CPU had been changed and offered start up options. I chose F1 for Set up and BIOS completed and opened fine. All looks normal. Install Fan and Water Pump curves from previously saved profile.

Run benchmarks in Superposition and Cinebench while capturing performance in Hardware Monitor
    I am delighted with the numbers. On stock settings peaks of 4.4+GHz on all cores. Low temps and modest increase in power consumption over the 1600. I might have received a very good copy of the 2700X."

Later down in the thread:

"30 minutes of Assassin's Creed Origins on 2K Ultra
    Hardware Monitor shows 4.5GHz without manual OC'ing
    Temps hit 56C"