MSI X299 SLI Plus LGA 2066 Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
MSI X299 SLI Plus LGA 2066 Motherboard Review

Intel’s latest chipset launch requires new motherboards. Everyone has entirely new product lines to look at so we kick things off with MSI’s X299 SLI Plus. This is a basic offering which we have tested with the Intel Core i9-7900X and Intel Core i7-7740X. Again MSI shows us how less is sometimes more.

I'm going to wait and see if MSI releases an X399 SLI Plus. Very happy with the Z170A SLI Plus in my office PC.

Nice review, I do like my x370 MSI gaming carbon pro board. I wish the mobo makers would be more forthcoming on how the lanes are split up for nvme storage when it comes to some of the boards like the gigabyte with 3 m.2 slots. and a 28 lane CPU

I'm going to wait and see if MSI releases an X399 SLI Plus. Very happy with the Z170A SLI Plus in my office PC.
We have not seen any messaging from MSI that would say that is going to happen.

That is unfortunate. What would be your recommendation for a TR4 board in the same "everything you need and nothing you don't" segment?
Have not had any experience or knowledge of that segment yet.

Nice review, it's a shame that MSI don't list the what thunderbolt add-on cards this is compatible with. Though I've been holding out to see if a second wave of x299 boards come out that aren't as rushed as the first wave to pair with a 7820x.

Nice review, it's a shame that MSI don't list the what thunderbolt add-on cards this is compatible with. Though I've been holding out to see if a second wave of x299 boards come out that aren't as rushed as the first wave to pair with a 7820x.

Well, if history continues to repeat itself, we won't see any refreshes until Intel is ready to do a processor refresh on this platform.

I was thinking more something along the lines of the Gigabyte Designare boards for example and not a full refresh ;-). But you're probably right, all the boards out now are there to stay until Q3 2018.

I was thinking more something along the lines of the Gigabyte Designare boards for example and not a full refresh ;-). But you're probably right, all the boards out now are there to stay until Q3 2018.

That could happen, but don't know for sure. I suspect some manufacturers may be waiting to see where the wind blows in the enthusiast market as far as the HEDT platform goes (X299 vs. X399) and then left themselves room to adjust accordingly. That's pure speculation on my part, but it seems reasonable.

Reactions: zehoo
like this
Back