MSI Vortex –– Dual GTX 980, 6.5L

jb1

Limp Gawd
Hi all,
Just saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4RsjFec-qU

Interesting use of MXM connectors (I think) to build a tiny 6.5L system with two GTX 980's. I wonder how these GTX 980's compare to desktop GTX 980's? Also, curious how easily one might be able to upgrade this in the future if this is indeed being done with MXM connectors.

I've been wanting to do something like this for some of my own ITX designs. Pretty cool, if obnoxiously ugly.

I've been wanting to do something like this for some of my own ITX designs. Pretty cool, if obnoxiously ugly.

Yeah I also toyed with the idea of trying an MXM build, but have decided against doing such a thing due to no guarantees of GPUs with the MXM connector versus typical PCIe which should definitely be around for a long, long time.

I was going to mention there's already a thread about this somewhere around the forum, but it looks like Vittra beat me to it. Anyway, down to biz... The laptop gtx980 (not gtx980m) is exactly the same die as a desktop gtx980, but possibly binned for the best power/thermals. Performance should be the same, but overclocks are a big unknown for this system - perhaps it's possible, but we don't know at this time. Beyond that, MSI is saying the MXMs are upgradable, but I suppose we'll see.

From what I've read, these are actual 980s not the mobile version. They are just in MXM form. Either way, apples design is nice. Imitation is flattery.

The problem is still that you cannot buy MXM upgrade's from shelf nor replace the motherboard in the future. Nice machine but it's still a laptop component's grade.

I believe they stated in an interview that you would be able to upgrade the machine later on, whatever that means.

It may well be possible to buy MXM cards from MSI, but with MXM, you're often locked into one particular vendor. (The MXM brief specifically forbids this, mind you, but...)

MSI does state that the machine will be upgradable, GPUs as well, but as has been covered, it may be limited to vendor specific units. As for the gtx980s in there, they are desktop 980 dies - nvidia sells mxm format 980s now, not just 980m. Their briefing on the 980 for mobiles indicated that they are the same dies, but perhaps binned for the best thermals, and that vendors would have final say on clocks and OC allowance. All that aside, if these units truly are upgradable and vendor-agnostic in the GPU department, that's a pretty big deal. The CPU is a question mark though - the highest model stated is the 6700k, but I'm not aware of anything else that is both faster and compatible with that socket and DDR4. I've fallen behind on CPUs a bit.

You most certainly won't be able to upgrade the motherboard (+ daughter riser), PSU, and cooling. There'll be faster 1151 CPUs in the future but if you're starting out with a 6700K chances are it won't be worth upgrading before a new socket shows up.

That much is absolutely certain, Vipz. Regardless of upgradability, there are several components that comply with no common standard - mobo is going to eventually be a dead end, PSU is also likely so, though it appears to be a modified server psu.

Like boil said, it's basically a Mac Pro so hardly innovative...
However, if it looked a little more simpler and wasn't MSI I'd consider one

Back