MSI Tommy hawk 570x issues

Pivo504

2[H]4U
So I've noticed when I got my phone connected to the mobo via USB c there is weird lagging when transferring files... Is this a known issue that might have a fix?

How old is the phone? I have zero issues transferring files from any phone to my pc. Have you tired other USB cables/ports?

It's a note 20 ultra 5g so it's pretty new... I've tried other cables and other ports but it still does it. My old computer didn't do this. Also when I have my phone connected and try to open files from the phone on pc it hangs..

I know when I connect my Galaxy s20 to my pc, I can select the type of device the phone (USB Storage/media/pictures) is and then the file transfer speeds change. Can you do that with your note? Of course you have the latest chipset drivers on the board? I've never had that happen to me. Sorry , can't be of anymore help.

internal storage or sd card?
Both do it...

Nebulous: when it gives you the option is that on your phone or on the pc? As far as chip set drivers which ones are you using and how can I check which version I'm on? I don't think I've updated those since I put the pc together

Oddly, my Pixel 6 has issues with this board. Whenever I plug it in (no matter what USB port I use - including the C on the back), the phone refuses to allow file transfers initially. I have to toggle charging/transfer on the phone repeatedly before it'll work. Plugging it into to other PC's seems to work completely fine, though.

Oddly, my Pixel 6 has issues with this board. Whenever I plug it in (no matter what USB port I use - including the C on the back), the phone refuses to allow file transfers initially. I have to toggle charging/transfer on the phone repeatedly before it'll work. Plugging it into to other PC's seems to work completely fine, though.
Yes exactly this!!! Finally someone else with the same issue. My old computer worked perfectly like you said. But the tomahawk X570 I have issues transferring its so annoying..when it does transfer files move at snails pace at times its really weird, even my SD card reader acts very strange on this motherboard giving me read/ write speeds that are super slow, sometimes even in the 100kb range no lie, while the SD cards specs are 100MB/sec. The other issue I get is it doesn't allow me to open files that are on my phone thru the computer, it just ends up crashing file explorer and this never happened on my old pc..
Domingo is there any 100% fix for this? I'm petty sure I read on Google that alot of other people are having the same issues I wonder if there is a driver update/bios to fix it? Please let me know and I'll do likewise.

my case has a front USB-C connector which is plugged into the motherboard header and everything works fine...I don't plug my iPhone 13 into it a ton but when I do everything works

my case has a front USB-C connector which is plugged into the motherboard header and everything works fine...I don't plug my iPhone 13 into it a ton but when I do everything works
Is this with the msi tomahawk x570?

iPhone is going to be different, since you can plug in that USB-C cable all you want, but electrically, all iphone's are still only USB 2.0, not USB 3.0+, so it's not going to reach those higher data rates.

What kind of transfer speeds are we talking about? Is it only the USB C connector?

What kind of transfer speeds are we talking about? Is it only the USB C connector?
It seems to be all the USB on the mobo.. Also when I go into files that are on the phone using the pc it won't even open them.. Or it'll open it but it won't be the file I clicked on very strange.. I've heard people had issues but never could find a fix..

This is still an issue for me, too. It doesn't matter what USB port I plug my Pixel 6 into (including USB-C, front ports, back ports, etc.), it takes like 4-5 tries to get it to correctly recognize things for file transfers. Speeds are quick when it does work, it just doesn't always recognize the phone as a storage device. I don't need to transfer files to/from my phone often, otherwise I'd be pretty annoyed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Funny, I had this issue on my Samsung S8, then moved to an Iphone 11 and use the USB-C port on the back of the mobo and never have problems, jsut works.
What I did do for my Android phones is got a USB 3 hub / card reader, connect Android devices to that and it works perfectly every time:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N5FWIDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the reply I will try this out. As Domingo said I also don't transfer stuff from my phone often bc I have 128 GB internal and a 250gb sd card so hopefully your solution works!

Funny, I had this issue on my Samsung S8, then moved to an Iphone 11 and use the USB-C port on the back of the mobo and never have problems, jsut works.
What I did do for my Android phones is got a USB 3 hub / card reader, connect Android devices to that and it works perfectly every time:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N5FWIDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't understand why getting that would make any difference? We're you having the same issues as we were on this msi board?

I think it's an android issue like you mentioned. However since your s 8 is usbC connector did you just use a USB 3 to USB C adaptor for it to plug into the port you linked here?

For what it's worth, I think the latest BIOS actually fixed this for me. Now, whenever I plug in my Pixel 6, I can file transfer immediately. No quirks or anything!

For what it's worth, I think the latest BIOS actually fixed this for me. Now, whenever I plug in my Pixel 6, I can file transfer immediately. No quirks or anything!
Which bios and is there a chance of bricking? I've never changed bios on this motherboard or anyone for that matter lol if everything worked good I didn't mess with bios updates.. Is there a process for updating bios? Lmk thanks for the help!

On the AM4 boards is absolutely worth updating the BIOS. AMD fixes quite a few bugs in the microcode every update. The most recent big push across most AM4 boards fixed the TPM stutter bug, for instance.

Updating is easy, you just throw the bios file on a USB stick, and run the update program found within the BIOS menu.

I've never seen an update brick a board, unless you were really unlucky and lost power during the update.

On the AM4 boards is absolutely worth updating the BIOS. AMD fixes quite a few bugs in the microcode every update. The most recent big push across most AM4 boards fixed the TPM stutter bug, for instance.

Updating is easy, you just throw the bios file on a USB stick, and run the update program found within the BIOS menu.

I've never seen an update brick a board, unless you were really unlucky and lost power during the update.
Thanks for the reply will def try this out!

Is the latest BIOS on amd website or msi and can you post which bios version it was? I can't seem to find where to download the bios on amd website they only offer chipset drivers.. Also when flashing I don't have a thumb drive but I do have a Transcend USB 3.1 Gen1 SDHC / SDXC / microSDHC / SDXC Card Reader, TS-RDF5W but how would the SD card need to be formatted for the bios update to work?
Thanks!

Last edited:
On the AM4 boards is absolutely worth updating the BIOS. AMD fixes quite a few bugs in the microcode every update. The most recent big push across most AM4 boards fixed the TPM stutter bug, for instance...

I don't think every single new BIOS update is worth upgrading to-- unless it fixes a specific issue you're having

I don't think every single new BIOS update is worth upgrading to-- unless it fixes a specific issue you're having
Agreed. Everything was working fine but file transfers for me so no reason to update bios. But Domingo said this latest update fixes it

Does anyone know if I can use the card reader I posted above it basically looks just like a USB flash drive.. I've installed windows 10 the same way using this card reader and a 32gb SD card but I'm just making sure since this is a bios update and not windows?
Thanks

Back