MSI Subsidiary caught selling marked up Nvidia cards on eBay

"The eBay listing reveals that the company known as Starlit Partner has sold four GeForce RTX 3080 graphics cards."

Holy fuck a whopping 4 cards? Those evil sob's. MSRP is just that. A suggested retail price. Winey ass cry babies. Don't buy it if you don't like it just wait and cry until you can afford it.

"The eBay listing reveals that the company known as Starlit Partner has sold four GeForce RTX 3080 graphics cards."

Holy fuck a whopping 4 cards? Those evil sob's. MSRP is just that. A suggested retail price. Winey ass cry babies. Don't buy it if you don't like it just wait and cry until you can afford it.
Because they were caught early. If it was a rogue employee they wouldn't have done this under that account/ Given time this could have been a steady source. When the article hit they had plenty other 3080 auctions up and live for $1400 something.

lol now that's entertainment right there, people being parted from insane amounts of money for a graphics card.

Because they were caught early. If it was a rogue employee they wouldn't have done this under that account/ Given time this could have been a steady source. When the article hit they had plenty other 3080 auctions up and live for $1400 something.

Yeah well... They can sell their cards wherever for however much and if people are buying them then well I would do the same.

Can't believe people are still going crazy for these after the capacitor debacle as well as launch hype having basically disappeared.

the capacitor thing was another over reaction that while necessary to get changes to happen wasn't as big of a deal as people wanted to make it out to be.. it was pretty obvious it was an issue with the way boost clocks were being handled by the AIB's trying to cost cut at the same time.

the capacitor thing was another over reaction that while necessary to get changes to happen wasn't as big of a deal as people wanted to make it out to be.. it was pretty obvious it was an issue with the way boost clocks were being handled by the AIB's trying to cost cut at the same time.

Lolwut? That makes it not an over reaction. Nvidia literally released a driver to slow the cards down.

Not according to Nvidia.

Yeah? Nvidia sells to MSI. MSI sells to Starlit using Nvidia guidelines. Starlit sells on ebay. Nvidia goes after starlit? Starlit wins because they don't have a contract with nvidia and can sell wherever and at whatever price they want.

Yeah? Nvidia sells to MSI. MSI sells to Starlit using Nvidia guidelines. Starlit sells on ebay. Nvidia goes after starlit? Starlit wins because they don't have a contract with nvidia and can sell wherever and at whatever price they want.

True, but Nvidia could threaten to stop selling to MSI, and Starlit gets shitcanned.

I don't think that's how it works. Starlit obviously has a more direct connection to MSI or MSI couldn't tell them to refund the product. If Nvidia wanted to hold MSI responsible I'm sure they could since they are directly related companies. Micro STAR International / STARlit

From my post in the scalping thread, I'm absolutely shocked. Shocked I say.

Personal opinion though, I feel if you think this is the only incident you're most likely naive. It's more that they were caught. And yeah, I don't really think it was just this one lone individual, but he will be the fall guy.

Jesus fuck they didn't slow the cards down. They fixed the boost table to keep cards from spiking to God damn high. Testing showed the difference are with in margin of error if anything.

Yeah I have to agree. They were too aggressive on the FREE turbo boost is all. The reduction has neglagent effect on performance and it actually allows turbo to keep up longer helping performance in certain cases.

Devil's Advocate thought:
If anti-scalpers are using bots to create many eBay accounts and place insane bids on scalper listings ensuring that they will not sell them, then what's stopping unscrupulous companies from using similar bots to create many eBay accounts to scalp their own products?

Devil's Advocate thought:
If anti-scalpers are using bots to create many eBay accounts and place insane bids on scalper listings ensuring that they will not sell them, then what's stopping unscrupulous companies from using similar bots to create many eBay accounts to scalp their own products?
Nothing because people are still buying these things at 3090 prices.

That would depend on the structure of specific agreements that NVIDIA has with MSI.

True, but Nvidia could threaten to stop selling to MSI, and Starlit gets shitcanned.

Again, that would depend on the structure of NVIDIA's agreements with MSI. It seems as though NVIDIA has some sort of manufacturer's approved pricing in place to limit what these companies can sell graphics cards for, otherwise MSI wouldn't have had to pull something like this. MSI violating that, even through a subsidiary could be a huge problem.

I don't think that's how it works. Starlit obviously has a more direct connection to MSI or MSI couldn't tell them to refund the product. If Nvidia wanted to hold MSI responsible I'm sure they could since they are directly related companies. Micro STAR International / STARlit

Again, this depends on how the company was setup and the specifics of any agreements that NVIDIA and MSI have with each other.

Starlit is a subsidiary of MSI, so for all intents they are MSI.

Again, while that's true in a sense that thinking may or may not apply depending on how the agreements are structured. We flat out, do not know. About the only thing we can be sure of is that NVIDIA obviously has some pricing limitations in place or MSI wouldn't have had to do this. It could simply have sold it's cards for a higher price and claimed "fair market adjustment" on their website the way car dealers mark up the price of certain car models that have high demand like the Shelby GT500.

That would depend on the structure of specific agreements that NVIDIA has with MSI.

Again, that would depend on the structure of NVIDIA's agreements with MSI. It seems as though NVIDIA has some sort of manufacturer's approved pricing in place to limit what these companies can sell graphics cards for, otherwise MSI wouldn't have had to pull something like this. MSI violating that, even through a subsidiary could be a huge problem.

Again, this depends on how the company was setup and the specifics of any agreements that NVIDIA and MSI have with each other.

Again, while that's true in a sense that thinking may or may not apply depending on how the agreements are structured. We flat out, do not know. About the only thing we can be sure of is that NVIDIA obviously has some pricing limitations in place or MSI wouldn't have had to do this. It could simply have sold it's cards for a higher price and claimed "fair market adjustment" on their website the way car dealers mark up the price of certain car models that have high demand like the Shelby GT500.
did you look at the trade mark filing, the profit reports or at least the Amazon seller page showing it was an MSI company ? There no grey area on this it is their subsidiary.

To temper my response, do I think this decision was made in high level meeting no clearly low level management that probably got the job through nepotism and thought this was their chance. Still this was done buy someone employed buy this shell company they control.

Last edited:
Yeah well... They can sell their cards wherever for however much and if people are buying them then well I would do the same.

Man the mental gymnastics to explain away the sheer level of fuckary is hilarious. MSI essentially internaly moved cards to their ebay brand, then proceeds to 'scalp' them at a higher margin hoping to avoid backlash for charging so much (which they could easily have done through regular channels).

Thats some shady shit right there.

Last edited:
Man the mental gymnastics to explain away the sheer level of fuckary is hilarious. MSI essentially internaly cards to their ebay brand, then proceeds to 'scalp' them at a higher margin hoping to avoid backlash for charging so much (which they could easily have done through regular channels).

Thats some shady shit right there.

Backlash is the key word. Even if the arrangement between the subsidiary and parent company are obscured, the transaction is definitely shady and consumers who cannot find the cards otherwise aren't going to like it.

I certainly won't ever buy an MSI card in light of this.

Yeah they were never at the top of my list and this certainly doesn't help their brand.

Can't believe people are still going crazy for these after the capacitor debacle as well as launch hype having basically disappeared.

My enthusiasm has subsided considerably. My interest was 100% based on playing with a shiny new toy. The games I'm playing now will not benefit at all from a new card. I'll just wait for whenever 3090's are readily available.

Yeah they were never at the top of my list and this certainly doesn't help their brand.

My enthusiasm has subsided considerably. My interest was 100% based on playing with a shiny new toy. The games I'm playing now will not benefit at all from a new card. I'll just wait for whenever 3090's are readily available.

They weren't at the top of my list either. I like some of their motherboards, but their graphics cards were never as appealing to me as those produced by several other companies. However, I will actively avoid MSI now in search of a 3090, where as I'd have taken just about any of them before this came to light.

MSI has always had decent prices and features, but their internal business and marketing dealings is rotten to the core.

The core. So I simply won't use them ever again. Corruption that festers is corruption that spreads.

I'll remain pure and use benevolent manufacturers of products. There's nothing wrong with profit, but sometimes the games become too twisted to want to play.

MSI has always had decent prices and features, but their internal business and marketing dealings is rotten to the core.

The core. So I simply won't use them ever again. Corruption that festers is corruption that spreads.

I'll remain pure and use benevolent manufacturers of products. There's nothing wrong with profit, but sometimes the games become too twisted to want to play.

I don't think benevolent is a term you can realistically apply to any for profit business.

This isn't exactly their fault
The people that they have shown working on their behalf have demenstrated disgusting behavior towards their customers on many occasions and if the review pressure exposure didn't put a full press stop on bs like this that shows me they have a low level of care on the subject.

I would think MSI stepping in and fixing things for all four people who "overpaid" for these cards makes the more appealing as a vendor, not less.

I also imagine Nvidia has some ridiculous punitive clauses in place with their contracts that constrain vendors into a very fixed and specific pricing window for their cards.

I would think MSI stepping in and fixing things for all four people who "overpaid" for these cards makes the more appealing as a vendor, not less.

I also imagine Nvidia has some ridiculous punitive clauses in place with their contracts that constrain vendors into a very fixed and specific pricing window for their cards.
So pressuring small tech tuber's on bad reviews, having amazon remove reviews that were negative and trying to buy reviews from larger techtubers those were just mistakes they learnt from before this. Trying to make things right doesnt go as far as getting people under your brand that has the integrity not to have to.

So pressuring small tech tuber's on bad reviews, having amazon remove reviews that were negative and trying to buy reviews from larger techtubers those were just mistakes they learnt from before this. Trying to make things right doesnt go as far as getting people under your brand that has the integrity not to have to.
You can weigh the pros and cons and still decide they're not worth buying from but holding this specific case against them doesn't make sense. They had a tiny, easily addressed problem, and they fixed it fast.

It shouldn't have happened at all. The rogue employee excuse only works so many times.

If some are disgusted with MSI methods, will not buy etc. Why not Nvidia as well? For one we do not know exactly what level this was done or approved of and may never know, could have been some idiot at Starlit. Could have been a test mechanism from MSI as well, we do not know. I would buy Nvidia, MSI and others if the product itself is good and worth the money. Now of course if the company is really rotten to the core, doing things very disgusting such as supporting terrorist groups, illegal drug trade etc. then it would be prudent not to support their fake image.

Back