MSI Sea Hawk RTX 2080 Overclocking @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
MSI Sea Hawk RTX 2080 Overclocking

MSI sent over its new Sea Hawk RTX 2080 card for use in a build video. This is a fair simple RTX card build that is purchased with a pre-installed All-In-One cooler. We wanted to see how well it overclocked and spent a night of gaming in order to do that and we have to say we were pleased with our results.

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

Interesting alternative to the Gaming X Trio card recently reviewed here, similar in price.
Think I would lean towards the Trio as it appears to be the cooler, quieter card and a tiny
advantage in potential boost is negligible, not to mention potentially detrimental to the
cards long term viability as per your mention of minor artifacting. I would be satisfied with
2010MHZ heatsoaked and the fans at reasonable rpms.

Your getting old and playing it safe Kyle, running at the first sign of an artifact lol. With a little patience, good psu, and msi Afterburner slider at max and fans at 66%, my Seahawk settles in athe 2138 for the ride. The VRAM is tricky this generation, I have micron on board mine, it eats alot of power surprisingly if you try to push it and the core to max, so I trade off some of the VRAM speed for raw clock numbers and get better overall performance.

What VRAM did yours have Kyle, if your still able to check?

I have got it now where I can get a solid 2070MHz/8000MHz, and it has Samsung VRAM. The intake temp is ~34C and the exhaust is ~49C. And yes, I could probably trade off some of the VRAM clock for more GPU clock from my previous testing.

IMG_20181221_175842.jpg

flir_20181222T020919.jpg

I'm pretty sure you should be able to sync up your cases RGB to your collection of dance music. Could have your own personal rave party tonight (please live stream the event).

Solid at a rock, stays pretty much at 2070/8000 after hours of play. It will drop to 2055MHz but not for long.

Doom 1600P.jpg

Reactions: ecktt
like this
Was eyeing the card simply because it make sense vs a massive heat sink blocking PCI-E ports and the heat is vented outside.
Why does the Seahawk X cost 1800?!!!

Was eyeing the card simply because it make sense vs a massive heat sink blocking PCI-E ports and the heat is vented outside.
Why does the Seahawk X cost 1800?!!!
The other variants of the Sea Hawk are fully built custom water cooling blocks from EK IIRC. But with no link to a card, I really do not know what you are looking at specifically.

Got the same VRAM clock issue on my msi gaming x trio 2080ti. I think it's an afterburner but because other programs still read at 8000kHz even when afterburner shows 7800. Test it out and see what you find.

Got the same VRAM clock issue on my msi gaming x trio 2080ti

Would love to hear more about your experience with this card. It was a real close 2nd choice for me. Considering how many sites have stated that power plays a major part in Turing's OC potential I was fascinated by the 3 x 8pin connectors. I also read it has a custom BIOS that allows a higher power draw than the FE TI's. I think so far I've only come across one or two reviews for this card.

Would love to hear more about your experience with this card. It was a real close 2nd choice for me. Considering how many sites have stated that power plays a major part in Turing's OC potential I was fascinated by the 3 x 8pin connectors. I also read it has a custom BIOS that allows a higher power draw than the FE TI's. I think so far I've only come across one or two reviews for this card.

I've loved the card. Great cooling, very quiet, usually 64c max in games. I'm at +1000 memory and around 2070 core clock. However, the third power thing is kind of a gimmick and other cards have a higher bios power limit. That said it's fairly high up there at 330w....but I think FE cards are 320w. The card apparently lacks power balancing that all the others have but I've had no issues. The RGB is great if you are into tgat. Overall in very happy with it.

PhoenixWings SLI still works okay for some games but it can depend on the title if you get good support or not. It's probably better to get a single powerful card unless you have a really exotic setup and need more power.

Anyway, one more question: Is there any good reason anymore to go with a high core count Intel i9 CPU over the AMD 2950X? I am asking for your personal opinion, as I have already looked at this article: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/11/13/intel_core_i99980xe_vs_amd_ryzen_threadripper/1

Of course, I can't afford a 9980XE, an even if I could, that's just throwing money away. However, sometimes you can find a 7960X for around $1000 to $1100 on eBay. Who knows, maybe even the 9960X will come down in price on eBay. Also, I am wondering what the point of the 10 core 9820X is when there is also the 9900X. Seems weird to release two CPUs so close in performance, unless the difference between them is yields.

So the better question is: if the 7960X is priced within $100 or so of the 2950X, would it make sense to get that CPU over the AMD Threadripper?

Thank you.

Intel Core i9-9980XE vs AMD Ryzen Threadripper

Have not used the 9820X so I really can't give you much insight there. 9900X is $700 less expensive for 2 less cores....and a free game. :)

On the 7960X, if you are going to overclock I think you would have to overclock it to get real value out of it, but if you could push all 16 cores to 4GHz+, it would be a workload screamer compared to the 2950X. I have not used the 7960X, so I am just guessing on clocking.

No SLI? I started wondering if SLI has become worthless. I don't have RTX cards so I don't know how it performs in those. I got a pair of GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 cards in SLI running and an ACER ultrawide 1440p display. Would a pair of RTX 2080 cards in SLI be an upgrade to what I have now?

Over at GN they did some testing with NV Link and 1080TI SLI: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...rtx-review-overclocking-gaming-power-thermals

Pretty sure I've read a couple other places too. Personally I wouldn't recommend it either. With your current setup those 2 1080TI's will beat a single 2080TI for the games that support it. 2080 SLI is going to be an almost like for like and at 4k those 1080TI's 11GB vs. 8GB Vram will likely beat them too. DDR6 is faster sure but it won't help if the game is using more than max. I almost SLI'd a 1080TI since I have a Strix 1080TI in my other rig but during the last six months I've seen Newegg/Amazon charging $1200-1400 which was the same price as the Strix 2080TI I ended up getting to replace a 1080 SLI setup for my 4k rig. If you feel you have to spend the money then I'd skip 2080 SLI and go straight to the 2080TI but honestly with what you have I'd say wait till next fall and see what the landscape looks like then.

edit: I forgot to mention that I'm not sure about vram usage for UW 1440p vs 4k so the vram issue may not apply but I still don't recommend going to 2080 SLI.

2nd edit: Here's one of the other reviews I'd read about NV Link vs. SLI: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_SLI_RTX_2080_SLI_NVLink/

It's pretty in depth with an A to Z game comparison. The only major flaw is they don't specifically tell you which games actually have SLI support. You just kind of have to figure it out by looking at the numbers. Bottom line is that NVlink 2080's trade virtual blows with 1080TI SLI with barely 1-2 fps difference for most games.

Last edited:
I'm just surprised that the same card has different memory, possibly from the same batches. Wonder if the failing cards just got bad memory or a memory mismatch.
It seems to me that the most if not all of the failed cards I saw replaced did NOT have Micron VRAM on those. Make of it what you will. I am still looking to buy a Space Invaders card. Had I realized it was going to be a "big deal," I would have never sent mine back. I messed up.

Back