MSI RMA review

Furious_Styles

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently sent my 980 ti lightning in for an RMA. It had some insane coil whine and my screen would go black and crash the computer after being on for 24-48 hours. Took about 3 weeks total turn around time for the card to get back to me which is good. However when I received it two of the screws that hold the back plate on were loose and rattling around inside the card somewhere. Luckily I heard this before installing it and was able to shake them out of the card. I have no idea how this happened because I just tightened them and they are not stripped/loose at all. This is a really poor job by MSI imo and I just wanted to let everyone know to make sure to double check your cards should you ever have to use the RMA process.

Note: I still have not fully tested the card so I'm hoping the issue is actually fixed.

That's really weird, I wonder how the screws got in there?? Was it a new card or did they do shoddy repair work on yours?

That's really weird, I wonder how the screws got in there?? Was it a new card or did they do shoddy repair work on yours?

They fell out of the backplate. And considering they double box it and the inner box has lots of foam I can't see how it would move much. I think it was just a slack job by whoever put it back together. Unacceptable in my book. I'll report back when I've tested it for a day or two to see if it's actually fixed.

at least they returned a working card, sort of - I will only buy EVGA cards because I can call a tech for free, the are open 24/7 and warranty support is what it ought to be for the entire industry (but is not).

at least they returned a working card, sort of - I will only buy EVGA cards because I can call a tech for free, the are open 24/7 and warranty support is what it ought to be for the entire industry (but is not).

EVGA warranty is only good for the American market, not EU.

I had to RMA a 780 years ago that caught fire and total time was 10 days. That was over Thanks giving holiday too. Was a refub but was spot less. Still running fine in a friends computer.

I had good experiences both times I used their warranty service. First time they replaced a fan and turnaround was about 7 days. Had a fan bearing fail on another card and it took around 10 days that time, but they upgraded me to a retail-packaged 390 as the 290's were out of stock. Both RMAs were for fan failures which was concerning, but the warranty service was fine overall.

Yup. When you are buying big dollar flagship cards, that warranty can pay off bigtime. Plus the secondary market favors them because the warranty transfers fully.

RMA'ed my ASUS RX 470 a few weeks ago and they gave me a brand new one within a week.

I'm in Canada so you might not have as good luck in the States.

Back