MSI Reveals Optix MEG381CQR 37.5-Inch HDR600 144 Hz Curved Monitor

erek

[H]F Junkie
So many monitor releases anymore... are they all amazing or junk? I can't tell to be honest because they're not hitting into the segments i'm interested in nicely

"MSI currently does not have a firm launch date for its Optix MEG381CQR monitor and only says that it plans to launch it sometimes in the third or the fourth quarter. Pricing of the display is also not set, so we can only make guesses based on MSRPs of other curved 37.5-inch displays which appear to be pretty expensive."

MEG381CQR-Aegis-Ti5_575px.jpg

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1541...qr-375inch-hdr600-144-hz-curved-monitor-w-vrr

Ok this kind of hits all the marks for me. As long as there is a way to turn off those fugly RGB lights. I guess it depends on the price as well.

This one is "ultra wide"? How does this work for games that don't have resolutions that support that? Do you just get black vertical bars? Or hope to run everything in windowed mode?

This one is "ultra wide"? How does this work for games that don't have resolutions that support that? Do you just get black vertical bars? Or hope to run everything in windowed mode?
Most modern games do support 21:9 out-of-box or with a few simple ini tweaks. Normally you will see the same height as a 16:9 monitor but with additional view of the sides.

If you are playing old games or some outliers (I think the devs on Overwatch refuse to support ultrawide cause they consider it cheating) you can run in a smaller 16:9 res and you will have black bars on the sides. But this is rare.

You can always run windowed if you like, but running at a 16:9 fullscreen resolution should always be possible, I can't think of a situation where that wouldn't work.

Note, that there are games with problems in ultrawide, where the UI is messed up or things are scaled wrong. It's not 100%, but usually you will find people in the community with fixes or patches and things.

I might consider upgrading to this MSI.

My current monitor is still good, I like it, but 2560x1080 is not a lot of space to work with on content creation.

Would definitely help with editing textures and stuff, 1080p is kind of a struggle.

Too many gimmicks, just give me the display without any additional price bloating garbage.

Just a re-branded LG 38GL950G, just like the Acer X38, but without the G-Sync chip. Not sure why anyone would wait for this MSI or Acer when you can get the LG now with the superior G-Sync chip already in it.

So many monitor releases anymore... are they all amazing or junk?

For the most part, there haven't been any new monitor releases in about 18-24 months. All we have gotten have been CES launch announcements of monitors which never actually launch, or we get a re-launch of the same garbage panel that was first launched circa 2017 but now has a very slightly updated control box inside - and RGB.

So many monitor releases anymore... are they all amazing or junk? I can't tell to be honest because they're not hitting into the segments i'm interested in nicely

"MSI currently does not have a firm launch date for its Optix MEG381CQR monitor and only says that it plans to launch it sometimes in the third or the fourth quarter. Pricing of the display is also not set, so we can only make guesses based on MSRPs of other curved 37.5-inch displays which appear to be pretty expensive."

View attachment 217649

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1541...qr-375inch-hdr600-144-hz-curved-monitor-w-vrr

That's the exact stand that's on my Acer XR382CQK v2. LG panel 3840x1600 75Hz

Just a re-branded LG 38GL950G, just like the Acer X38, but without the G-Sync chip. Not sure why anyone would wait for this MSI or Acer when you can get the LG now with the superior G-Sync chip already in it.
I assume price will be lower. The LG is almost $2000, I can buy a decent used car for that type of money.

Back