MSI Releases AMD X470 and B450 Bios Updates for AMD Raven Ridge Processors

cageymaru

Fully [H]
MSI has announced new bios updates for its AMD X470 and B450 motherboards that support the upcoming AMD Raven Ridge processors. These models include the AMD Athlon 200GE, 220GE, and 240GE APUs.

The updated BIOS version is prepared to support the future AMD Athlon 200GE, 220GE, and 240GE APUs and also the current Athlon APUs which have launched last year. MSI strongly recommends its users to update their systems by downloading and applying the latest BIOS. Download and install the latest BIOS using M-Flash to update affected models. Ensure to always download the latest BIOS from msi.com corresponding product pages.

I guess AMD has a built up a stock of less then 2200/2400g silicon. The 2200G is already pretty darn cheap... but I guess this updates all the lowball chips to ryzen+vega of some sort.

It says AGESA 0070 which I take to mean 1.0.0.7 which I have not seen yet. Probably just optimizing for newer APUs for now but it might have support for Ryzen 3 if someone were to drill down to the CPU support list.

Last edited:
MSI strongly recommends its users to update their systems by downloading and applying the latest BIOS.

But why? If the only changes are adding these three CPU's I'll never use?

The good old rule of thumb here is, never update a BIOS unless you have a problem you are trying to solve. There is no benefit to be on the latest one, just to be on the latest one.

I've had BIOS updates in the past introduce instability, remove features (like ECC and VT-d support) etc. etc.

They are probably just trying to get people to update their boards so they get fewer "my CPU is not supported and I don't have an older CPU needed to update the BIOS" support tickets.

But why? If the only changes are adding these three CPU's I'll never use?

The good old rule of thumb here is, never update a BIOS unless you have a problem you are trying to solve. There is no benefit to be on the latest one, just to be on the latest one.

I've had BIOS updates in the past introduce instability, remove features (like ECC and VT-d support) etc. etc.

They are probably just trying to get people to update their boards so they get fewer "my CPU is not supported and I don't have an older CPU needed to update the BIOS" support tickets.

They don't suggest updating unless you need to:

F0IsXjZ.jpg

I saw this mentioned a few days ago over at TPU and I am still confused... Why do they say "future" 200/220/240GE when they are already out? Is this a regional/country thing?
I think that's just how marketing people talk. ;)

Back