MSI R9 390X GAMING ON 520W??

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
i just bought this card as an upgrade from r9 380. so.. my psu had a multiple times to shut off the pc with a black screen. now, that is caused by the watt shortage. so, the graphics card can be controlled 50% power consumption up and down from radeon wattman settings. firstly, i'd like to know if there has been any damage to any part in my pc during these black screens. then, i want to know the sweet spot for power consumption to equalize the psu with the graphics card.

Last edited:
sounds like you need a new PSU, dude :-/ you might could make it work with (to throw numbers out there) -20% or -30% power limit or something but by that point you'll be significantly hampering the performance of your shiney new card

i know. it is just temporarily until i buy a new one. won't want anything to happen to either or both of them.

as long as you keep the card at a low enough power limit that the crashing stops you shouldn't cause any damage. if you keep running the card at full power then yeah it could overstress something--crank that PL down

i dropped it to 15% and i noticed nothing. TPH ( before dropping ) i play ffxv on max settings, but 720p as my tv's native, and never noticed anything. it happened when i played pes 2019 for like 3 matches. it simply went black. if there is a specific meaning to this, please refer it to me.

Last edited:
i've looked on google and saw a cable that combines two PSUs together to one pc. could another 250w or something work with 520w to provide power for the rest of the case except the graphics card?

INTEL CORE I5-4440 3.1GHZ
24GB RAM 1600MHZ
GIGABYTE B85-HD3 REV 2.0
2X HDD
COOLER MASTER K380

no just buy a new psu with at least the minimum for a 390x

"AMD Minimum Power Supply Requirement : 750 watt
XFX Recommended Power Supply : XFX 850W PSU"

Back