MSI PT880 Neo - I want to love it, but it won't load my OS.

Atoner

n00b
I had the following system:

Athlon 2000 XP
NVidia Geforce Ti 4600
1 GB PC2700 Ram from Crucial -- one stick CMX512-2700C2, one stick CMX512-2700C2PL.
Gigabyte GA-7RXP mobo
Windows XP Pro.

It ran fine. I went out today and bought a MSI PT880 Neo mobo and 2.8Ghz E P4 Hyperthreading. Replaced mobo and processor into existing system.

The system will POST, load BIOS, and *sometimes* display the hardware list screen...then it just hangs. Sometimes black screen, sometimes the first few lines of the PNP hardware detection, but I can never reach the XP splashscreen.

I tried putting in a Knoppix liveCD to see if it was the OS -- once again, sometimes it will boot to the Knoppix prompt, sometimes not, and NEVER will load the OS..just hangs and will not accept input at the prompt.

I had suspected maybe it was some kind of incompatibility with my RAM, so I tried pulling one of the sticks out. Didn't help. I looked in the manual and it mentioned that since the Processor was 800 FSB, the memory had to be at least DDR333. I had *assumed* that PC2700 ram meant that it was DDR333 compatibile, but I am not sure.

Is there anything else I can try? I've been puzzling over this all day and I need this machine for work, so I'll have to return the parts if I can't get this sorted out this weekend. Please, any help you could give would be appreciated...

-A-

i'll look around because i think i've seen this problem on another board i'll keep you tuned

Thanks Embro,

Yes, I can get into the BIOS.
My power supply is an Antec, I believe. It's 350W, which I now belive might be part of the problem.

I can't flash to the latest bios, however, because I can't get any OS to load. :(

I did try resetting the CMOS, but it didn't help -- still can't load any OS.

Thanks for trying. If anything else occurs to you let me know...

-A-

OK, two power supplies later, I have a 430W PSU with 19A on the +12v rail.

The problem persists. I'm running out of time (and options). What else can I do???

-A-

try running it with a Northwood if you have access to one, but if i was you i would just return it... maybe be just a bad board... it happens, when i bought my Abit KG7-RAID something like this was going on, but i had no display, but it seemed to boot, even to the OS... i had totally no display.. i returned it, they gave me another one and BAM it worked right away.

Dont think this is a bad motherboard... hell no its not(im waiting one from Ncix canada), its either something going on with the prescott or a not working board.

My friend just told me something that might be stupid but who knows, if you can get in the bios, underclock the cpu.

embro, thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I checked in the BIOS and I can't seem to underclock it -- it is currently running at the lowest CPU voltage and clock speed.

-Atoner-

Oh well, I give up. I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow morning and giving up on the upgrade.

Thanks all.

-Atoner-

I don't know, but, you have done a HUGE change for the XP, so why don't you try to do like me, REPAIR it!
Use the XP boot CD to go into the install screen and use the REPAIR ability of it, a AMD install is totally different from a INTEL one, so this MUST be done or the PC will never get to the OS again, until u do this.

Ram all the things you did had nothing to do with a pausing mother board. you failed to re look at ram go to pc3500 ram ddr400 if you can get ahold of Kingston PC3500 HyperX DDR400 i t would be a good idea. it has to be ram beacuse you tried to boot with Knoppix. since you you have a new processer the ram is the logical move

Back