MSI P67A-GD65 LGA1155 Chipset Motherboard Review @ [H]

The whole discussion was about NewEgg's price gauging, not about how great their delivery times are, or how easy their RMA process is. That's it.

The whole discussion was about NewEgg's price gauging, not about how great their delivery times are, or how easy their RMA process is. That's it.
Yeah, and to that I say, "what price gauging?" - that is unless you're talking about CPU's which I find microcenter to be cheaper on.

Yeah, and to that I say, "what price gauging?" - that is unless you're talking about CPU's which I find microcenter to be cheaper on.

This is exhausting. I guess forum trolls who post for the sake of posting do exist. Check out the following links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121412

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125349

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500186

Check this out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150517

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150518

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161329

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121374

This one takes the cake:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125316

Despite the fact that AMD set the MSRP for the 5970 at $499, NewEgg begs to differ:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150460

And some other stuff:

Really? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131642

Oldies but Goldies, right? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131352

I got this from NewEgg 6 months ago for $289 shipped: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128413

And I could go on forever. So please tell me, how the fuck is NewEgg not price gauging?!

I'm not a forum troll. If me asking you for insight on your price accuracy is trolling, then maybe you are just frustrated about backing up what you say.

Again, I also see it as a privilege of you taking the time to show me the light, however I haven't seen complete truth in what you've shown me yet.

You've listed me a ton of video cards, and other pieces. However, you haven't shown me any alternate pricing.

If you use google shopper, it'll show you different price points for the same product from multiple sites. From what I've just looked at, Newegg isn't unreasonable:

XFX 6970 Google Shopper Link

How is Newegg.com price gauging? It's the same price as tigerdirect.com. The only reason I see it going up is because Newegg.com charges sales tax and tigerdirect.com doesn't. I'm not sure how that is possible? Either way Newegg.com seems to be on par as lowest price point w/ tigerdirect.

Regarding a MSRP, that's a "manufacter suggested retail price" that doesn't mean that a company has to sell at that price. The reason why a price goes higher than MSRP is demand. This is basic economics. If there's high demand and no stock, the price goes up. Is it possible that the stock on that motherboard is low? ( I don't know, I'm asking. )

HD 5970 Google Shopper
It appears you can get it $100 cheaper off of Amazon. That's good. It seems that prices on this video card are all over the place, and you're right Newegg.com is on the high-end here. But again I bring up demand and availability.

If you go back to the 6970 you'll see it's pretty comparable to any other site. I really think it depends upon the stock levels.

Rampage III Extreme x58 google shopper link

You'll see newegg.com is the cheapest next to superbiiz.com - I didn't know about superbiiz.com until you mentioned it. It seems they can have pretty good deals on that site. What's their reputation like compared to Newegg? Delivery? RMA's? etc?

I'm not trying to piss you off mate, I'm just having a nice back and fourth on where to go for best deals and making sure all perspectives are settled.

Thanks for participating.

I'm not a forum troll. If me asking you for insight on your price accuracy is trolling, then maybe you are just frustrated about backing up what you say.

Again, I also see it as a privilege of you taking the time to show me the light, however I haven't seen complete truth in what you've shown me yet.

You've listed me a ton of video cards, and other pieces. However, you haven't shown me any alternate pricing.

If you use google shopper, it'll show you different price points for the same product from multiple sites. From what I've just looked at, Newegg isn't unreasonable:

XFX 6970 Google Shopper Link

How is Newegg.com price gauging? It's the same price as tigerdirect.com. The only reason I see it going up is because Newegg.com charges sales tax and tigerdirect.com doesn't. I'm not sure how that is possible? Either way Newegg.com seems to be on par as lowest price point w/ tigerdirect.

Regarding a MSRP, that's a "manufacter suggested retail price" that doesn't mean that a company has to sell at that price. The reason why a price goes higher than MSRP is demand. This is basic economics. If there's high demand and no stock, the price goes up. Is it possible that the stock on that motherboard is low? ( I don't know, I'm asking. )

HD 5970 Google Shopper
It appears you can get it $100 cheaper off of Amazon. That's good. It seems that prices on this video card are all over the place, and you're right Newegg.com is on the high-end here. But again I bring up demand and availability.

If you go back to the 6970 you'll see it's pretty comparable to any other site. I really think it depends upon the stock levels.

Rampage III Extreme x58 google shopper link

You'll see newegg.com is the cheapest next to superbiiz.com - I didn't know about superbiiz.com until you mentioned it. It seems they can have pretty good deals on that site. What's their reputation like compared to Newegg? Delivery? RMA's? etc?

I'm not trying to piss you off mate, I'm just having a nice back and fourth on where to go for best deals and making sure all perspectives are settled.

Thanks for participating.

Nothing personal, lol, so I'm not trying to piss you off either. Sorry if I did, you have my apologies. But everyone knows that NewEgg will gauge the prices on anything that sells. From the links that I've posted you can see that. I mean $560 for a GTX 580 and $714 for HD5970? Wow! The prices on the HD6950 aren't gauged yet because they aren't exactly flying of the shelves. Most people want to buy the fastest single GPU that they can afford. That's why the GTX 580 is such a great seller. When the HD6990 will be out, it will be a top seller and NewEgg will be at it again. Nothing wrong with making money, but when you're an online e-tailer.... you get what I'm saying...

Superbiz is good, well packaged stuff, never had to RMA anything so I don't know how that works. Their Free Shipping and Cheap Shipping is SUPER SLOW. Took them 7 days to get a 80GB Intel SSD to me ($159 - free shipping). But they package stuff way better than NewEgg. Directron isn't bad either. It matches NewEgg on shipping, surpasses NewEgg on packaging.

Nothing personal, lol, so I'm not trying to piss you off either. Sorry if I did, you have my apologies. But everyone knows that NewEgg will gauge the prices on anything that sells. From the links that I've posted you can see that. I mean $560 for a GTX 580 and $714 for HD5970? Wow! The prices on the HD6950 aren't gauged yet because they aren't exactly flying of the shelves. Most people want to buy the fastest single GPU that they can afford. That's why the GTX 580 is such a great seller. When the HD6990 will be out, it will be a top seller and NewEgg will be at it again. Nothing wrong with making money, but when you're an online e-tailer.... you get what I'm saying...

Superbiz is good, well packaged stuff, never had to RMA anything so I don't know how that works. Their Free Shipping and Cheap Shipping is SUPER SLOW. Took them 7 days to get a 80GB Intel SSD to me ($159 - free shipping). But they package stuff way better than NewEgg. Directron isn't bad either. It matches NewEgg on shipping, surpasses NewEgg on packaging.
Got it thanks.

Right now I'm debating the following (I'm building a new rig when SB drops):

1) Order parts from Newegg besides CPU/Mobo (microcenter)
2) Pick up all things are microcenter (one is 1 hr away)
3) Order from another site? (Superbiiz/Directron?)

Got it thanks.

Right now I'm debating the following (I'm building a new rig when SB drops):

1) Order parts from Newegg besides CPU/Mobo (microcenter)
2) Pick up all things are microcenter (one is 1 hr away)
3) Order from another site? (Superbiiz/Directron?)

Same situation here. I already have a few parts, but still need: HD, OS, CPU, Mobo, Video Card

Seeing some of the packaging of hard drives, I am tempted to pick that up along with cpu/mobo from microcenter. Otherwise I will probably wait until Superbiiz has one of their 15% off coupons, since I am willing to wait. The Samsung 1TB F3/Windows 7 Home Premium is a good combo. Also would like to use that coupon on a 6950.

Do the people in this thread who keep writing "price gauging" actually mean "price gouging" or is there some other meaning to the term?

Is there a Micro ATX equivalent of this motherboard?

EDIT: So I just saw that MSI also released a P67A-GD55, which appears to be this same motherboard in mATX format minus the two PCI slots.

Last edited:
Can we please go back to the topic of this forum which was the review, not Newegg.

Great review of a great board... thanks Kyle & co.

my wife is going to be inheriting my P55 setup (including my RAM and 5870), but she will not be inheriting my H70. So it's new build time :D and I've narrowed my CPU choice to a 2600K and this board. I had one other board picked out as a comparison (Asus Maximus IV Extreme), but it's too expensive.

quick edit: thanks for the review Kyle, greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
Just a quick heads up guys - MSI is targetting this board for 179.99 MSRP, so we will be very aggressive on this platform and providing the best board at a very reasonable price.

MSI just dropped me an email and told me that the company was going to be shooting for a $179.99 price point on the P67-GD65 motherboard reviewed here.

Edit: I see MSI beat me to it. :D

Kyle, when you boot this board does the time to post feel any shorter than a traditional bios boards?

Sorry if has already been addressed.

Just a quick heads up guys - MSI is targetting this board for 179.99 MSRP, so we will be very aggressive on this platform and providing the best board at a very reasonable price.

A bit expensive for my taste. I was thinking more on the lines of 120-130 mid range sandy bridge mobo. If it was a high end motherboard with all the options then it would be a fair price. I guess the price will go down after it's been released for awhile.

A bit expensive for my taste. I was thinking more on the lines of 120-130 mid range sandy bridge mobo. If it was a high end motherboard with all the options then it would be a fair price. I guess the price will go down after it's been released for awhile.

^ this.....
Gimme a $120 (MAX) mobo and $200 2500K and I'm on it like a cop on a doughnut...:eek:

I would not expect any of these companies to be targeting the Free Fry's Combo Crowd out of the gate.

I have a question regarding this mobo. Where do you put the memory sticks? The blue or the black slots.
The reason I'm asking is because if it's the blue ones, installing a corsair vengeance kit with some aftermarket cpu cooler becomes impossible (Venomous, Noctua D12...)

Kyle, when you boot this board does the time to post feel any shorter than a traditional bios boards?

Sorry if has already been addressed.

Yes on this board. The EFI BIOS basically skips the traditional POST page. You never really see it as it blinks up for about .1 of a second at most. On the ASUS WS board, you can set the BIOS to display the post screen for a set number of seconds, which is a nice feature for those of us wanting to know exactly how the machine is booting.

Kyle, any reason why I should be getting a Gigabyte UD4/5 or a ASUS P8P67 Pro/Deluxe over this MSI board?

Loved the review, looks like a solid board... just that I haven't had prior experience with MSI as a mobo.

I will be planning on OCing heavily with a 2600K (4.6+Ghz), xfire'd 6950's, 8gb corsair vengeance, corsair H70 and a creative titanium HD.

Just can't seem to nail down the right mobo.

My budget for a mobo is around 180-250, max.

Hard to say right now. Motherboards are getting to be more about features, support, and value now that all the northbridge functions have moved to the CPU. GBT does not have EFI BIOS, that might be a plus or a minus in your book. MSI does have OC Genie, but likely you don't need it. That UD4 is on my bench right now and looking to be neck-in-neck in terms of perf as should be expected, but have not OCed yet.

I have a question regarding this mobo. Where do you put the memory sticks? The blue or the black slots.
The reason I'm asking is because if it's the blue ones, installing a corsair vengeance kit with some aftermarket cpu cooler becomes impossible (Venomous, Noctua D12...)

Good question. On the MSI board, it notes slots 1 and 3. On the ASUS WS board it specified the "old" way of DIMM slots 0 and 2. On the GBT UD4 board I have right now it specified either way is fine per the manual. So I think it is up to you as long as you have one stick in each channel.

^ this.....
Gimme a $120 (MAX) mobo and $200 2500K and I'm on it like a cop on a doughnut...:eek:

Hahahahaha! That's police officer profiling and I resent that. (..takes another bite of his freshly made chocolate glazed eclair with a creamy vanilla pudding middle).

Kyle, about the Control Center II... is this something that comes with the board? Or did MSI provide you with this as a separate download? I can't find it anywhere on MSI website. The latest version of Control Center for the Big Bang X Power is 1.0.197.

Does this MSI board do X-fire in x16 - x16? I ask because it appears the Asus P8P67 is x16 only with one card, and x8 - x8 in X-fire. Does that even matter?

Hmmmm.. x16 / x16 would be nice. As for me, this MSI board is my favorite (on paper) after reading pretty much any review that I could get my eyes on so far.. I purchased 8gb's (2x4gb) sticks today at the Egg - CAS 7 DDR3 1600. 8gb's is probably plenty but the other [H]ard part of me wants to just buy another 8gb set for a total of 16gb's. Overkill for my needs.. probably. But I usually end up doing a build thread of every new computer that I put together / fabricate. This one will be no different. Looks like Sunday monring, my butt will be standing in line at the front doors of Microcenter ..look out i7 2600k!

Does this MSI board do X-fire in x16 - x16? I ask because it appears the Asus P8P67 is x16 only with one card, and x8 - x8 in X-fire. Does that even matter?

It does x8/x8 like most boards. The CPU only offers 16 PCIe 2.0 lanes, so when you insert a card in the second PCIe slot, it drops down to x8. Link

The difference is slim to none. Even at 2560x1600, there is hardly any noticeable difference. [H] review.

Kyle points out in his review that the new UEFI bios is "clunky and mushy" as other reviews mention as well. This is disapointing but could easily be remedied by a bios update.

It does x8/x8 like most boards. The CPU only offers 16 PCIe 2.0 lanes, so when you insert a card in the second PCIe slot, it drops down to x8. Link

The difference is slim to none. Even at 2560x1600, there is hardly any noticeable difference. [H] review.

Thanks for the link. Actually, it looks like this other story is more applicable since it looks at x16/x16 v x8/x8, not the x16/x16 v x16/x8 of the one you linked: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/23/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x8x8/

Regardless, point made that performance loss looks small.

But, considering my old MB (Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe from 2006) and current MB (Gigabyte X38-DS4) both have x16/x16, it seems this is a step backward. I guess because this is a "mainstream" chipset instead of an enthusiast one? I may just sit tight until the higher performance chipsets are released.

Ordered a gd55 and a 2500k due as it is a toss up between boards at this price level.
this review helped that decison.

I ordered one of these boards today for my cousin's build. I had a gigabyte UD4, but the review of this board looked pretty good. Seemed really simple to OC too. One of the things I liked was the multimeter points. I probably wont be using them, but they sure are cool!

Ordered a gd55 and a 2500k due as it is a toss up between boards at this price level.
this review helped that decison.

Hey what exactly is the difference between this and a gd55? I've been trying to come up with a motherboard that doesn't have as many bells and whistles that I don't need but still has quality support for sata III, usb 3.0, and uefi bios... but the sheer number of p67 boards from MSI alone makes my head spin :(

Hey what exactly is the difference between this and a gd55? I've been trying to come up with a motherboard that doesn't have as many bells and whistles that I don't need but still has quality support for sata III, usb 3.0, and uefi bios... but the sheer number of p67 boards from MSI alone makes my head spin :(

Gd55 and Gd65 is basically the same.
you loose a few usb and sata ports and voltage measurement with the gd55.
that about it.

depends how many ports you need i guess.

I purchased this board after reading some reviews and it's pefect for me except that my second gtx 470 that runs in SLI completely blocks the front panel connectors, I can't connect anything to them. Does anyone know some solution to this, the only way I can turn on my computer right now is with the physical power button on the motherboard itself.

Gd55 and Gd65 is basically the same.
you loose a few usb and sata ports and voltage measurement with the gd55.
that about it.

depends how many ports you need i guess.

Thank you :)

I purchased this board after reading some reviews and it's pefect for me except that my second gtx 470 that runs in SLI completely blocks the front panel connectors, I can't connect anything to them. Does anyone know some solution to this, the only way I can turn on my computer right now is with the physical power button on the motherboard itself.

.... !!!
That's really screwed up! :eek:

did u try to connect them before installing the card
i had to cut the plastic joint in the connector and connect pin by pin

I have tried plugging in the the front panel pins into the mobo before putting in the gfx card, but then the gfx card won't click into the pci express slot. Anyone know of some 90 degree adapter maybe?

I'm looking at my front panel connector pins and it looks like it would be very difficult to cut off the plastic part. What about bending the pins on the motherboard? How durable are they. Has anyone else ran into this problem, any solutions? This seems to be a huge design flaw on what is designed to be a gaming motherboard. Kyle have you tried SLI on this board, maybe you can provide some insight.

How durable are the connectors? I did notice that the pins were slightly bent but I'm woried about The front panel connectors and the motherboard's pins won't make contact properly if I shorten the pins. The front panel connector's have a plastic casing that may be too deep for the shortened pins to make contact.

Back