MSI P67A-GD65 + 2nd Radeon HD 6950 clearance issue

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
I can't fit 2 Radeon HD 6950s onto an MSI P67A-GD65 because of the switch/led jumpers on the back of the MB. I can live with everything except the power switch, but even then that is causing a clearance issue. I'm thinking there have got to be several forum members with this motherboard and two 69XX video cards, am I missing an obvious workaround or something?

Wow, just got off the phone with MSI technical support. Tech support transferred me to one of their testers who sheepishly apologized for this minor design flaw. That's right, you can't actually run a 2nd modern video card in this motherboard.

The box has a big [H] Gold Award on it. I'm surprised I haven't read about this issue on this forum yet.

I returned my GD65 for BIOS/stability/compatabilty with a specific LCD screen of all things--issues.

The board felt...rushed. I really wanted to like it.

why dont they clear? I have crossfire on a GD53. Am i missing something?

They don't clear the front panel motherboard connectors.

Do they have a special quick connector like ASUS boards do? That can add some half CM to the height of the connector. Otherwise, it may be the connectors that come with your case are too long? I dunno what to say :(

At any rate, [H] didn't give Gold Award to the GD80 ([H] did review both, GD80 later on) - a souped up version of the GD65. Reasons given were because the GD65 was all [H] had to base P67 mobos off of at the time, and they had not seen other implementations, yet.

If I remember correctly the only thing useful on the connector is the power; if you bend the pins 90 degrees it can be made to work (msi forum suggest you cut hte power quick connect to make it fit; but i prefer to bend the pins on the mb). The other set of pins are for the speaker which is pretty much useless on that motherboard.

Bending the pins was the one workaround I could think of.

I'm not sure what they mean by "cut the power quick connect" :confused:

Back