MSI P55-GD65 8 pin JPW1 with 4 pin PS

cpnhowdy

Limp Gawd
I havent upgraded in about 5 years and today I noticed the CPU power needs an 8 pin connection but my Antec PS has only a 4 pin. Old threads from a few years ago
say it is fine to plug the 4 plug into the socket however Im wondering if the i5 and i7
really need whatever the 8 pin gives.
Do I really need to buy a new power supply or am I safe running with the current Antec?

To my thinking you are "safe" but wonder if that is really your question. It will work fine, long story about the 8 pin vs 4 pin and bottom line is that in single socket boards they are all connected so it does not matter. The real question is the design of the 5 year old Antec and its +12 power delivery. If it is of the older style where a significant amount of the power supply rating is on the +3.3 and +5 it is likely it is not a good choice and could be running hot or worse, unable to supply all the needed +12 in a high load or OCing situation.

Doh TP-550 lets see ....

Edit, apparently there is a "new" version which is EPS (8 pin cpu power) and apparently not the one you have. Still looking for the old versions specs, can you pull the side panel and list the wattages ?

Edit 2, if yours is this older model of the TP-550, no I would not use it for a C2D system, much less an I5, i7 whatever. Not sure about AMD but that supply is even iffy on a P4 and a no-go with anything newer by Intel. Oh it would work, but it is hugely underpowered on the +12 and is asking for trouble. Replace it when upgrading.

From an old review
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=214

Overload Protection
Latching Protection
+5V @ < 47A
+3.3V @ < 48A
+12V @ < 18A <----- not even close with any kind of decent gamer video card and/or OCing.

Most of wattage on +5 and 3.3, if this is your model its the old style and really not suited for modern Intel cpu use.

Thing is I cannot be sure what model you have, the "new" TPx-550 is ok, not great but OK. Again the best bet is to look on the label on the side for the output specs. Me personally, for a gaming machine I would not want anything with less than 30A of +12 and that would be a minimum, with a top of the line video card 40+ min +12. (rule of thumb/off the top of my head numbers, you should add up the +12 draw in watts by looking at reviews of the video card you intend, cpu, estimate the board at 20watt etc. and see what you need on the +12. There are power calculators out there, or post back with a list of your intended equipment and get an opinion. Or just buy an 800W supply and forgetaboutit.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill for your reply. I guess I should have started this thread in the power supply section.
I double checked and I have a Antect TPII-550 but I decided to go ahead and upgrade to
a Corsair TX750 since the Antec might be underpowered for a i5/i7. Wont be overclocking so should be safe
Now if I could just get Win 7 to install ......

Back