MSI Optix G27C, anyone?

Borgschulze

2[H]4U
So my wife's BenQ FP93G-X finally bit the dust... which means she gets an upgrade to my current 24" 1080p VA BenQ EW2420.

In turn, means I need to purchase a new monitor.

I'm looking at this MSI Optix G27C, but I can't find a whole lot of info on it other than it does in fact have Freesync.

I can't justify $500 CAD + monitor, and all the G-Sync ones I like are $800-$1200.

Has anyone used this new MSI monitor? Should I bite the bullet at $379 CAD? Or run for the hills?

I want 144hz, IPS or VA panel, and 1080p, 24-27", decent stand, and under $400, but if something that is super awesome at $500 appears out of thin air, I'd probably buy it.

I've been thinking about buying one. The Viotek model is pretty much the exact same thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS9CDDA
They use the same OEM or something. I just feel it's a bit overpriced at $400 CAD but our dollar sucks so there's that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada though. I was in fact looking at the Viotek model, but couldn't find one other than eBay to ship to Canada, and I'm not buying a monitor on eBay... I can buy the MSI semi-local, and be able to return it if it's terrible without wasting many days waiting for a refund.

It's a budget SVA 144hz monitor, hard not to like at that price.

One thing though: some people have reported a weird blue hue when Freesync is used. Might still be worth it with an Nvidia card, the price considered, but still not ideal

I wouldn't even know till I upgrade my video card :(

The blue hue thing kind of bothers me, I mean.. how does that make it past QC?

Dead pixels concern me as well, mainly why I want to buy it locally if I can.

Probably the same way the early Samsung C24FG70 monitors hit the streets with the purple hue overdrive. Hopefully it will be fixed in a new revision soon.

Well, I got one on hold for me at the "local" shop that's about 40km away...

Will pick it up Friday night or Saturday.

$5 for the zero dead pixel policy, sounds like a deal to me.

So I picked up the monitor today.

Has about 5 dead pixels, 3 upper left, 2 lower right.

Had weird purple artifacting at first watching a video.. 1080p 60fps... seems to have gone away now, but I did go into the menu and toggle Freesync on then off, even though I have an nVidia card.

Backlight is... well, not that great, fairly uneven, liveable, as long as you don't watch horror movies constantly with a ton of black.

And when I'm in a game, and the monitor goes to sleep... I have to alt+tab to get the screen to not be black, that's not a Displayport thing is it?

I'm going to phone the store tomorrow, get them to bring another one in, and if it takes too long, I might just ask for a refund.

The build quality is great though, the stand doesn't shake at all... and I'm using a flimsy Ikea desk.

I also wish it wasn't curved, doesn't really appeal to me after using it... kind of a gimmick.

144hz is AMAZING though, I didn't think it would be a big deal, but oh damn is it ever.

Thanks for the update. The amount of dead pixel is pretty bad damn. I'm not surprised about the uneven backlight. Are you picking it up in-store at Newegg?
I wish you had an AMD card to test freesync and that blue/purple hue thing hmm

I'm going to return it.

It's nice, but $400, dead pixels, and bad backlight...

I just want 100+ hz panel, 1080p with a non-TN panel so I can have nice colour.

Also found out why the wife's monitor didn't work... her PC was wedged against the power receptacle in the wall... and it broke the receptacle... I found that out when I setup my old monitor for her.

I got it at Canada Computers FYI.

Too bad.
You can appreciate that they went for a good panel, but it seems like MSI went into selling monitors with the hands-off approach with regards to quality control.

Yep, it really is a nice monitor.

Had it not had any dead pixels, I'd probably have just kept it.

Cheapest 144hz non-TN panel I could find...

I wonder if TN panels colour has improved over the years... ye olde FP93GX looks like thy trash when you view photos on it with gradients.

These 144Hz SVA seem to suffer from bad blb in general. Samsung, Acer, MSI whatever, in the reviews there are always people complaining about the blb.

I could live with that crappy backlight if it had zero dead pixels...

It's too bad, it is a nice display, would be even better if it wasn't curved.

I mean, what other 144hz non-TN panels are there for $400 CAD? None... they're all $600+ it seems.

Oh well, it's not my time to upgrade yet... I'll stick with my $175 BenQ EW2420 for another year, drop some coin on a new GPU and Monitor next year probably.

So it's been almost a year...

Planning on picking up a MSI Optix G24C today for $250 on sale.

The 27" was kind of overkill for size... hoping this 24" version doesn't have any dead pixels!

Back