MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce?

prod_d06db20597e85b979eb46e6304ec138d.jpg

is this the one you are referring to ?

I think that's an awesome deal. $199 is a good deal even without the aftermarket cooler.

Note that the MSI cooler is a little different from the Zalman 1000 in the HardOCP review you linked to. The Zalman in the review is all copper. THe MSI cooler has copper pipes, but aluminum fins. Will this matter? Probably not that much. And it's still most likely WAY better than the stock cooler.

The one thing I can't see from the Newegg pics is whether there the ram is cooled. I suppose that there is at least air from the fan blowing down across the PCB and ram.

Either way, for $199 AR I'm going to bite. I've been waiting for one of these.

Newegg's price is now $229 ($209 after MIR). It actually increased $10 WHILE I WAS CHECKING OUT.

EDIT: UPDATE - Newegg customer service took care of me. The are processing a credit.

Yeah, saw this as well. Didn't grab it since I want some feedback on first, don't want to get burned like I did with Gigabyte's aftermarket 8800GT redesign.

Is this the stock market?

This was another card I was considering. It goes down a notch for the raised price.

don't want to get burned like I did with Gigabyte's aftermarket 8800GT redesign.
What happened? This card does appear to have a non-reference PCB.

Jeff Rage said:
Is this the stock market?
Yeah seriously. I emailed Newegg to complain. We'll see if that does any good.

I purchased this card. I have tested a bit and done some OC. found absolutly nothing to complain about. I can hear the fan but is not an unpleasant sound. I manually set fans to full speed and still not outragiously loud. My OC was respectable. I did not unlock shader and core I forgot the shader number but core was 730 and mem was 1010 ran through pcmark 2k6 with no evedence of artifacts. did not push any farther. Temps looked very healthy at around 130F. I set every thing back to defaults and am satisfied with my purchase. If you look the only change from my sig on my system is the vid card so I figured that I'm CPU bottle necked anyway.

I'm pretty sure that the only differance with the MSI card is the addition of a Zalman cooler.

My computer is runny smoothly with this card no issues to report after a weekend of gaming. Not a single lockup NO BSOD no games have exited to desktop. Good Framerates... I'm a happy man!!!

I'm pretty sure that the only differance with the MSI card is the addition of a Zalman cooler.
I'm pretty sure that MSI's red PCB means it's a non-reference design. All the reference nVidia cards that I've seen have the green PCB.
My computer is runny smoothly with this card no issues to report after a weekend of gaming. Not a single lockup NO BSOD no games have exited to desktop. Good Framerates... I'm a happy man!!!
Great to hear - I get mine tomorrow.

I am so tempted to buy. At newegg AR it is only $199......... but what is the catch? It's a good 30-40 less than any other OCed cards?

Should I buy?

Any thoughts on whether to keep the plastic cover that goes over the fins? On one hand, it seems that it helps ensure that air from the fan blows over the fins; on the other, the stock cooler from Zalman doesn't have a cover and you think they knwo what they're doing.

DooLocsta said:
Mine comes tomorrow as well but I do need to get Newegg to credit me the $10.
You should hurry on that. The cust service rep who I was dealing with said he was doing it because of how recent the order was. It sounded like, had I waited too long, they wouldn't issue the credit. His reason for the price hike: they are not price-protected from their vendors. That may well be, but that shouldn't translate into price fluctuations on items they have in stock. Anyway, don't wait too long...
Luder[PAK9 said:
Any thoughts on whether to keep the plastic cover that goes over the fins?
If it comes off easily, I'll be trying it with and without. My hunch is that, because there are no ramsinks or heat sinks on the voltage regs, these components could benefit from a little directed airflow from the shroud.

You should hurry on that. The cust service rep who I was dealing with said he was doing it because of how recent the order was. It sounded like, had I waited too long, they wouldn't issue the credit. His reason for the price hike: they are not price-protected from their vendors. That may well be, but that shouldn't translate into price fluctuations on items they have in stock. Anyway, don't wait too long....

I appreciate the advice I just got off the phone with them and got my credit. Now if I would have just got my card today I would be happier. Goodbye 7900GT you have been nice.

Ladies and gents,

To all who are interested, I took a bunch of photos and wrote a bit about my experiences with this card in this thread at SPCR.

Overall, I'm terribly impressed with this upgrade. I ended up leaving the fan shroud off. I removed it to take pictures, and when I went to re-install it, the fan blades rubbed against the shroud. I read about this in one of the user reviews on Newegg's product page. Running without the shroud doesn't seem to be a problem.

So far (after about 24 hours of use) this card is solid, fast and quiet.

Jay

Very cool, I ordered mine last night. I must admit I have pretty high expectations right now given the specs and design. I do hope it is on the quiet side but I'm none too worried about that. :)

mine just arrived yesterday before i went to work, but since i work at night and sleep during the day, i didn't have time to play around with it any......but i know the first thing i'm gonna do when i get home...... :D

WTH is this a new design? I got an MSI "OC" around release week and it had a stock cooler with a sticker slapped on.

WTH is this a new design? I got an MSI "OC" around release week and it had a stock cooler with a sticker slapped on.

yep, it's an updated design....likely because of the severe lack of other manufacturers that have a cooler other than the reference cooling solution, and the fact that there have been reports of some of the stock-design cards getting too hot.

and it worked, too....the cooler on this card is what pushed me over the edge and made me decide to buy it. this card is the least expensive 8800gt on the egg, and with this cooler included from the factory (saving me $50 on an aftermarket Zalman vf1000), it's absolutely the best value of any 8800gt out there, in my opinion.

its a screaming fast card that's around 90% of the performance of an 8800gtx at half the price, it runs very cool, and is extremely quiet (aside from the fan shroud issues that some people have been reporting)......what more could you want?

Back