MSI NX8800 Ultra OC back in stock on Newegg, thoughts?

Svengali

Limp Gawd
I've been hearing this card is a really great value 595bucks after mail in rebate, and the core clock is really high, and supposedly can OC a bit further. From looking at it it seems like this would be an 8800 Ultra that is worth the premium, as opposed to the stock Ultra.

Thoughts? I hear some guy has one of these on this forum. Seems too good to be true, heh.

If you want the BEST video card available, go for it.

As for value? Its still better to get an 8800GTX over the Ultra IMO..

Although I almost picked up a Evga 8800 Ultra on craigslist for $400 lol. :D I must hold myself back...

If you want the BEST video card available, go for it.

As for value? Its still better to get an 8800GTX over the Ultra IMO..

Although I almost picked up a Evga 8800 Ultra on craigslist for $400 lol. :D I must hold myself back...

But this isnt like some 800$ Ultra, a stock GTX is like 546 this is 595 after mail in rebate. While theres a premium, its not like a small clock difference. 575 vs 660 for example, and can go higher so I hear. I'm actually wondering why its not MORE expensive, which is why I was hoping for some thoughts from someone who owns one. :p

A eVGA pre-oced to 621 mhz GTX regular is 584 on newegg as well. Like I said, sounds too good to be true. :p

Link to NX8800: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127288
Stock GTX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072
621 GTX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130079

But this isnt like some 800$ Ultra, a stock GTX is like 546 this is 595 after mail in rebate. While theres a premium, its not like a small clock difference. 575 vs 660 for example, and can go higher so I hear. I'm actually wondering why its not MORE expensive, which is why I was hoping for some thoughts from someone who owns one. :p

A eVGA pre-oced to 621 mhz GTX regular is 584 on newegg as well. Like I said, sounds too good to be true. :p

Link to NX8800: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127288
Stock GTX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072
621 GTX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130079

Not to mention a memory clock that GTXs can only dream about--2300Mhz. Seems that memory throughput is rising in importance again these days. Good to hear it's back in stock. That's the card that Heatlessun paid $750 for, and he's glad he did. Apparently it's solid after a month or two of heavy use.

Do you think I'll be able to run it? My PSU is a Enermax Noisetaker 2 Rev 2.2 600W PSU. With 34A on the 12V (2 rails combined @ 22A each)

I think the stock Ultra requires that much power it says a "500W" psu but it mentions the rails being 34A. So i'd be right at the minimum for stock

From the EVGA stock Ultra on newegg: "System Requirements Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 34 Amps.)
Two available 6-pin Molex hard drive power dongles"

My justification for possibly buying this is even if the GF9s are awesome this fall its not like I cant 1) Sell this card on ebay and pay a difference if its warranted by the games coming out and 2) It's not really likely that there will be games coming out this fall that cant run on a 8800 much less a OC'd 8800 Ultra

For clarification the rest of the PC (for judgements on the powersupply question) is a ASUS A8N-32 SLI, X2 4800+, 3 HDD 1xRaptor 150, 1x320gb 7200 (western digital) and a like 160gb IDE HDD, 1 lite on dvd burner, and thats basically it. I'm currently running 2x7900GTs in SLi and I kind of want a 8800 to power through BioShock / COD4 / Age of Conan. I could get the stock GTX but this Ultra is really not that much more, like 50 bucks more. I just don't know much about MSI's warranty / customer service or general quality of cards. Sounds too good to be true.

I have a very simlar system (see sig) and have the MSI Ultra (though I paid $750 for it two months ago, oh well technology) but I was happy with it even at that price. This is a great card. I didn't really want to upgrade this system, I was waiting for next gen technology, but DX10 games are starting to show up, plus my QUAD-SLI 7950GX2 setup just didn't work in Vista, even SLI was flaky, maybe better now, but for the time being I wanted the fastest single card for DX9/DX10. This card fits that bill nicely.

You should be fine powerwise from your description.

I without reservation recommned this card. It's the best single GPU out there, and has worked well in both XP and Vista (32-bit anyway) for me.

I've been hearing this card is a really great value 595bucks after mail in rebate, and the core clock is really high, and supposedly can OC a bit further. From looking at it it seems like this would be an 8800 Ultra that is worth the premium, as opposed to the stock Ultra.

Thoughts? I hear some guy has one of these on this forum. Seems too good to be true, heh.

I ordered one yesterday when they were back in stock. I think you won't get a 8800gtx to overclock as high as this one on air. And I don't think anyone is getting 2300 on the memory (if so, just a few). BTW, ZipZoomFly sells this card for $100 more.

I'm building a new system for my son that includes a 30 inch monitor, so I felt I needed to get the fastest card I could get to drive that monster. He also plans to use his 20 inch as a second monitor. I also got a 850 watt Enermax PS to make sure I have enough power in case he goes 8800Ultra Sli later.

It just became even more too good to be true. Newegg dropped the price anothe $15 today. Mine is already shipped so I missed that last price drop.

its getting closer and closer in price to the GTX, it makes it a worthwhile purchase IMO if u can afford it.

i still would be happy with a gtx tho lol.. its not all that much of a difference

Thanks for all the input. Now I'll have to sell my 7900GT's (theyre EVGA KO's pre-oced to 500)

Anyone know a good price range to try selling em? (Am I even allowed to ask? hehe :p)

Also, heatless is the x2 4800+ a significant bottleneck in performance for you? I've noticed in benchmarks the performance is more than satisfactory but the Core 2's definitely get a significantly better yield in frames than the 4800 or similar AMD processors. While right now its moot on the games out, I hope it doesnt make the difference between playable and unplayable for the newer games coming out this season due to my CPU. Any thoughts on that?

And by playable I mean max ingame settings. I typically use like 2xAA, sometimes 4X depending on how jaggy the game is. AF is cool but as long as its on (2x) I'm fine, its definitely nicer with more but it doesnt ruin my experience if its on lesser values. But I do want to feel confident I'll be able to crank up the new games aside from the IQ settings. I'll be running 1600x1200. I know there aren't specs for most of the games, but hey, its a forum, we can speculate. :p

My main monitor is 1680x1050 and I can game comfortably with every new game out there, STALKER, Call of Jaurez, Lost Planet, at 1680x1050 with most eye candy on. As a rule of thumb, for most games take about 10%-15% off a benchmark with the same 8800 class GPU for the 4800+ vs a QX6800. Just a rough observation of mine, no real data to back it up, but most of the time I think that gives you a good idea of the performance to expect.

Back