MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC - GTX 760 - Video Card Review @ [H]

And my 660 ti just devalued some more, sigh.

I mean it hasn't been a year yet and my card is already half price on fleabay. Sad.

In the tech industry this happens basically every week, it's to be expected.

Buy/put together a $1000 computer and next week something "newer" and "better" comes out followed by price cuts to all the "old" and "outdated" stuff. You just gotta buy what's best for you and your needs at the time and not look back until it's necessary to upgrade again :).

Kyle.. $20 buxs is not a deal breaker if you decide to spend $249 buxs as we all know Newegg has HD7950Boost at $269 with 4 free games.

Kyle.. $20 buxs is not a deal breaker if you decide to spend $249 buxs as we all know Newegg has HD7950Boost at $269 with 4 free games.

Actually in this case it's only a $10 difference as the reviewed MSI card is $259. Makes that 7950 look even better :)

We all know the the 660ti was battling with the HD7950 and it should of been part of your review.. i will end my bitching with that.

How much of an upgrade would this card be over a 570 GTX?
Not sure if I need a new card yet or if I should wait until 8XX gtx line.

Edit: meant 8XX

Last edited:
Not sure if I need a new card yet or if I should wait until 6XX gtx line.
well you can look at reviews and easily make the determination that a stock 760 will only be about 20-25% faster than a stock 570 if the rest of your specs are not a limitation. and I guess you meant to say 8xx not 6xx.

Not sure if I need a new card yet or if I should wait until 6XX gtx line.

Looking at TPU summary charts, perhaps 28% faster, and 2GB of vram (vs 1.25)

well you can look at reviews and easily make the determination that a stock 760 will only be about 20-25% faster than a stock 570 if the rest of your specs are not a limitation. and I guess you meant to say 8xx not 6xx.

Looking at TPU summary charts, perhaps 28% faster, and 2GB of vram (vs 1.25)

yea that is kinda what I was thinking. I'll just save for the 8 gen cards.

Will there be a 760 Ti with 4GB VRAM
a 760 ti has not even been mentioned anywhere. as for the 760, yes its already been mentioned in reviews that there will be 4gb cards and EVGA has one available now. if your sig is current then you also need a cpu upgrade at this point.

Will there be a 760 Ti with 4GB VRAM

All indications are that the GTX 760 is the final GPU addition for some time.

This is expressed in the reviewers guide, and in email.

The list of cards we listed on page 1 of the evaluation will hold true through the fall of 2013.

GeForce GTX TITAN/GeForce GTX 690
GeForce GTX 780
GeForce GTX 770
GeForce GTX 760
GeForce GTX 660
GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
GeForce GTX 650 Ti
GeForce GTX 650

That's the lineup for the foreseeable future.

Impressive... and of course this comes out after I pick up a second 460 to tinker with SLI.

Should I 'upgrade' my 6870 Crossfire setup for a 760 for just 1680x1050?

My initial reaction is to just keep the crossfire for the resolution.

Should I 'upgrade' my 6870 Crossfire setup for a 760 for just 1680x1050?

My initial reaction is to just keep the crossfire for the resolution.

Do you feel it's too slow ?
If not then no.

Looks like I'll keep it then. I guess I have no issues with the raw horsepower from the 6870s. Just maybe the VRAM may start to hold it back. I'm going to have to search up VRAM use for the 1680 resolution.

Looks like an awesome upgrade for my 560 (non-ti). Has there been a ti version announced?

EDIT: Nevermind. That's what I get for posting en haste. :D

So if you were looking to build a watercooled monster of a system, which would GPU setup would be recommended:

One titan
Two 780's
Three 770's
Four 760's

It appears that the Titan, 770's and 760's would be about the same price, with the 780's costing a could hundred more.

So if you were looking to build a watercooled monster of a system, which would GPU setup would be recommended:

One titan
Two 780's
Three 770's
Four 760's

It appears that the Titan, 770's and 760's would be about the same price, with the 780's costing a could hundred more.

Two 780's if you can swing it, for a single display. (Does the 760 even support 4-way?)

One titan
Two 780's
Three 770's
Four 760's

Two 780's will be much, much faster than a single titan. 3-4 way sli scaling has always been hit or miss with nvidia, so I would try to avoid that. Unless you need to push a lot of pixels.

One titan
Two 780's
Three 770's
Four 760's

The correct answer is as many 780s as you can afford.

I feel kind of screwed with my SLI 660Ti's. We finally get a good stable driver for all games (BF3 finally smooth) and they release the 760 that beats it by a pretty decent margin. It would be one thing if I had the performance I have now about 4 months ago, but just getting all round stability straightened out at release of its replacement just feels really wrong to me for some reason. Like I should have waited till the drivers matured( holy fuck that felt like my ATI days) before even getting these cards, and saving money to boot. Just IMO, I just don't feel good about my purchase since this release.

It is also very easy to extrapolate the performance of HD 7950 from the PowerColor Myst performance.

We compared the PowerColor Myst to the 7950 here - http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...on_hd_7870_myst_edition_review/9#.UcuKr_m1E1I

It was very close to the performance of the HD 7950, you can see the performance differences there. Plus, in that review itself, you can see how it compares to the 660 Ti, again, another way to extrapolate the performance of the HD 7950 in comparison to the PowerColor Myst and in turn the 760.

Time, is always, a factor in launch reviews. We have to be very choosy because time doesn't allow us to compare everything. The PowerColor 7870 Myst was exactly the same price ($249) as the 760, and given its close to HD 7950 performance, made the perfect comparison at launch price wise. Thankfully we are able to do follow-up reviews filling in the gaps.

Is 770 review and 760 review using same test places ?

Can i do a cross comparision of cards from those two to judge how much would i gain getting 770 over 760 ?

This review inspired me to buy the $250 HD 7950 with the games. Back to Team Red I guess after a wonderful run with the 460. It'll be nice to get off the bargain bin at Steam for a bit and play some modern games.

Kyle, You had a 670GTX in your reveiw and the lowest priced one is $324.99 on newegg .. so why would you even go there if not to showcase how the 760GTX compares with it and not show the some level of preformance from AMD as Nvidia just can not overtake Tahiti at the same price point as how many more stabs do they need to make us quit buying the HD7950 and buy one of there cards.

It does Eyefinity very well for a single card and it can't be overlooked for $20-30 buxs for what it offers.

Thank you Brent for the link.. but we would need current drivers and more then 1920x1080 to see if the 384bit interface and 3Gb of ram would hold up better on the HD7950 Boost. some of the ref cards offered now are voltage unlocked and Sapphire's Trixx has a forced constant voltage setting for the boost cards so they will not throttle the clocks as just one check mark applied in Trixx will make the card run at 975Mhz all the time.

So if I read this review correctly the stock GTX 760 is pretty much just a 10% price cut compared to the stock GTX 660Ti, with a marginal performance boost and idle energy savings thrown in for good measure...?

Gone seems the days when new cards brought twice the performance of previous generation card at the same price point.

Where have you seen non die shrink generation bringing twice the performance ?

So if I read this review correctly the stock GTX 760 is pretty much just a 10% price cut compared to the stock GTX 660Ti, with a marginal performance boost and idle energy savings thrown in for good measure...?

Gone seems the days when new cards brought twice the performance of previous generation card at the same price point.

Its because they are in between designs.
No one ever said this was ever a new architecture. They dropped the price and added more performance at all price points. They have to do a refresh of the 600 series which is what the 700 is, because the tech at the FABS is not ready for Maxwell.

Its been like this forever it seems. 6000 series-->7000 series, 8800 series---> 9800 series, 400 series---->500 series, 600--->700 series.

I don't know why this is new to people.

Its been like this forever it seems. 6000 series-->7000 series, 8800 series---> 9800 series, 400 series---->500 series, 600--->700 series.

I don't know why this is new to people.

I have been wondering the same thing for a long time. This pattern is not new. Maybe nVidia needs to come out and just say they are adopting a tic-toc cycle like Intel and then people will get the memo.

Did the review say what the highest boost clock you saw was? I read the whole thing and am just checking if I missed it.

I think it may finally be time to retire my GTX580. Still cannot decide between 2-way 760's in sli, or a single 4gb 770.

One titan
Two 780's
Three 770's
Four 760's

Avoid Quad-SLI. The performance gains are really terrible going to quad. Sometimes performance is even worse. Quad is only good for benchmarks. Triple is the highest I'd go, and only if you are going Eyefinity.

The GTX 760 looks like a real bargain. Really thinking hard about grabbing one.

LOL, are you serious? 30-40% improvement is the most you see from a new generation of GPU. And for a refresh cycle, 10-15% gain is the most to reasonably expect.

I feel kind of screwed with my SLI 660Ti's. We finally get a good stable driver for all games (BF3 finally smooth) and they release the 760 that beats it by a pretty decent margin. It would be one thing if I had the performance I have now about 4 months ago, but just getting all round stability straightened out at release of its replacement just feels really wrong to me for some reason. Like I should have waited till the drivers matured( holy fuck that felt like my ATI days) before even getting these cards, and saving money to boot. Just IMO, I just don't feel good about my purchase since this release.

Whenever a new cycle of cards come out of course it's gonna make the older cards look slower and more expensive... If you have a step up program, this is when you'd want to take advantage of that.

Last edited:
Avoid Quad-SLI. The performance gains are really terrible going to quad. Sometimes performance is even worse. Quad is only good for benchmarks. Triple is the highest I'd go, and only if you are going Eyefinity.

The GTX 760 looks like a real bargain. Really thinking hard about grabbing one.

Thanks for the info, I had never considered running for cards, but as with the price being so nice it was suddenly possible, although I really had read nothing about pluses and minuses for running four graphics cards before.

LOL, are you serious? 30-40% improvement is the most you see from a new generation of GPU. And for a refresh cycle, 10-15% gain is the most to reasonably expect.

Whenever a new cycle of cards come out of course it's gonna make the older cards look slower and more expensive... If you have a step up program, this is when you'd want to take advantage of that.

I think Olle P is confusing the marketing hype with the reality. since the GPU war started between nVidia and ATI each maker always claimed their newest GPU was twice as fast at the previous one, but once the card was in the wild it was always found that they, at best, increased performance by 30-40%

And for a refresh cycle, 10-15% gain is the most to reasonably expect.
This one only give you 10% if overclocked (such as the tested card).
To me this isn't a "refresh" other than by name.

I think Olle P is confusing the marketing hype with the reality. since the GPU war started between nVidia and ATI each maker always claimed their newest GPU was twice as fast at the previous one, ...
While not a general truth, a couple of cards (below the top end) have come close at the same price point. (Radeon HD5850 cost at launch about the same as HD 4890, but performed substantially better while using way less power.)

If you then go down another generation and look at even older designs remaining on the market at ~$100 you'll notice that newer designs entering that area do kick butt.

Back