MSI N285GTX SuperPipe OC @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
MSI N285GTX SuperPipe OC - Brand new from MSI we have their N285GTX SuperPipe OC, based on the GeForce GTX 285, to evaluate. With its magnificent cooling solution and higher than standard clock speeds we see how it stacks up against a GTX 285 and a GTX 280 in gameplay performance, overclocking, power and temperature testing.

MSI’s SuperPipe technology seems to do the job well, and we can’t wait to see what it does on a GTX 260 and the new GTX 275. For the SuperPipe technology, and MSI stepping out of the bounds of reference heatsink designs, we feel this deserves a Silver award.

Looks like the card is pretty much inline with what you would expect.

Only thing speaking for this card is the look of it. Hot air in the case is not worth it though.

Hot air in the case is not worth it though.

That makes no sense. How can you be concerend with "hot air in the case" and dismiss 10C drop in temps? You have a net decrease in temps, but zomg hot air inside a computer case = end of the world?

Hi all, I just had a quick question regarding the review. In the ASUS EAH4890 review from a little while ago, the test system with the NVidia GeForce GTX 280 (602Mhz/2.214Ghz) card was shown as having a power consumption of 215W at idle and 419W under load. In the new MSI N285GTX Superpipe review this same card is shown as having a power consumption of 148W idle and 382 under load. I understand that these are not the same test systems but was wondering why there was such a large disparity in the power consumption figures, especially at idle. Does the different CPU in the Asus review really draw that much extra power (~65 Watts) when idle over the CPU in the MSI review?

Please no flaming. This isn't a trolling post, I think the reviews HardOCP does are some of the best on the web. I'm just trying to expand my own personal knowledge. Thank you and keep up the great work [H]!

Hi all, I just had a quick question regarding the review. In the ASUS EAH4890 review from a little while ago, the test system with the NVidia GeForce GTX 280 (602Mhz/2.214Ghz) card was shown as having a power consumption of 215W at idle and 419W under load. In the new MSI N285GTX Superpipe review this same card is shown as having a power consumption of 148W idle and 382 under load. I understand that these are not the same test systems but was wondering why there was such a large disparity in the power consumption figures, especially at idle. Does the different CPU in the Asus review really draw that much extra power (~65 Watts) when idle over the CPU in the MSI review?

Please no flaming. This isn't a trolling post, I think the reviews HardOCP does are some of the best on the web. I'm just trying to expand my own personal knowledge. Thank you and keep up the great work [H]!

The fact of the matter is they are two different systems: the motherboards are different, the CPUs are different, the memory is different, the cooling solutions are different, and the power supplies are different. So no, the CPU probably does not draw 65 extra watts but some watts here and there from each component will lead to different readings.

The value (or lack thereof) proposition of this card is made worse by MSI's poor warranty period and policies:

MSI VGA Products are warranted for 3 year limited warranty (Two (2) years Parts & Labor, and the third Year Parts ONLY, shipping and handling fee will be required). The 3rd Year "shipping and handling" fees are $45.00 per unit for video cards.

Source

Thus, in effect, it's a 2 year warranty with a $45 option for a third year should you need it. Depending on the value of the card, and the correlating depreciation, MSI, in many instances, protects itself from actually having to provide a 3 year warranty given the replacement value of the card at the 3rd year (versus the "shipping and handling fee."). Meanwhile, MSI receives the benefit from representing a longer warranty (e.g., see Newegg's listing of any MSI video card indicating a 3-year warranty).

The value (or lack thereof) proposition of this card is made worse by MSI's poor warranty period and policies:

Sadly, if it's anything like their motherboards I've had, you'll NEED a good warranty too. I fried 2 MSI mobos in a 6month period, and have never fried ANY other motherboard. In fact, I still have a working ASUS KTA266-based board.

Maybe they have resolved these issues now, or maybe their video cards are more reliable, but after being burned twice in a row I will never buy one of their products again.

/END RANT

The fact of the matter is they are two different systems: the motherboards are different, the CPUs are different, the memory is different, the cooling solutions are different, and the power supplies are different. So no, the CPU probably does not draw 65 extra watts but some watts here and there from each component will lead to different readings.

Thank you very much.

the speeds they are getting up to on GDDR3 is just insane, 2.7 GHZ on OC? jeesus!

Buggers.I was hoping this modified cooling would help increase the overclocks, but I guess they'd been maxed out on stock coolers, anyways.

Was hoping there would be a 4890 add-in, but that's OK.

~Ibrahim~

That makes no sense. How can you be concerend with "hot air in the case" and dismiss 10C drop in temps? You have a net decrease in temps, but zomg hot air inside a computer case = end of the world?

That's why I am concerned. The difference between Core and Exhaust worries me. If that makes no sense to you maybe I am totally wrong but what exactly happened to that heat? Did it magically transformed into fairy dust in which the heatsink is covered?

Great review guys!!

Now if only someone could comment on sound output from the new heatpipe cooler...

I know that with the system I have, when the fans spin up to 100%, it's CRAZY loud.

As for the overclock, so I get a STABLE 710/1515/2600 from my cards in SLI. How much difference will you see going to 735/2700? Maybe 2 fps? Why is this important?

Now if someone (like MSI) were to make this card with STOCK speeds that ran 1/2 as loud, THAT would be impressive!!

Or, even better, if someone could design a cooler that would work with these cards in SLI...KA-CHING!! That would be a money maker. (I have a feeling that this will be a very strong card for a very long time, sort of liket he 8800GTX was...is...whatever!).

My two cents

That's why I am concerned. The difference between Core and Exhaust worries me. If that makes no sense to you maybe I am totally wrong but what exactly happened to that heat? Did it magically transformed into fairy dust in which the heatsink is covered?

Heat != temperature.

Heat*Air Volume*specific heat of Air = temp change of air. If you move an infinite amount of air over a heat sink per second even if your generating 10,000,000Watts, there will be no increase in the temperature of the air. If, however you but the heat sink in a adiabatic (insulated) enviroment, and let it reach steady state, the temperature of the air will go to inifinity, even if your generating only 0.00001 Watt.

Great review guys!!

Now if only someone could comment on sound output from the new heatpipe cooler...

I know that with the system I have, when the fans spin up to 100%, it's CRAZY loud.

As for the overclock, so I get a STABLE 710/1515/2600 from my cards in SLI. How much difference will you see going to 735/2700? Maybe 2 fps? Why is this important?

Now if someone (like MSI) were to make this card with STOCK speeds that ran 1/2 as loud, THAT would be impressive!!

Or, even better, if someone could design a cooler that would work with these cards in SLI...KA-CHING!! That would be a money maker. (I have a feeling that this will be a very strong card for a very long time, sort of liket he 8800GTX was...is...whatever!).

My two cents

Sound is mentioned in the conclusion, under the Value section.

price and performance be damned, either way that thing looks dead sexy. never have I had such lust for a piece of hardware.

Only thing speaking for this card is the look of it. Hot air in the case is not worth it though.
I agree w/ Vyedmic. 1: I'd rather have slightly higher GPU temps w/ the exhaust going out of the PC completely & not have the rest of my components run warmer because of the GPU. 2: With stock cooling & 6% fanspeed my GTX 260 doesn't hit 64°C in most games & rarely hits 70°C. ;)

I'm assuming the heatsink just sits on the gpu and their are seperate ramsinks, which get cooled by the two fans, as they pass air through the heatsink.

If this is the case, which I think it is, it'll work well for those with waterblocks that don't cover the ram and mosfets. I use a Swiftech waterblock, ramsinks, and mosfet heatsinks for my 9800GTX+. I should have swapped to it earlier, as the stock cooling seems to be killing my ram. This card would be a perfect replacement.

I installed the card last night and I must say that I am impressed. I previously was having overheating issues with both an EVGA GTX 285 SCC and BFG GTX 285 OCX where I had to increase the fan speeds to get stability. I was not happy with the noise level so I thought I would give this card a shot. The temps on this MSI board are 45c idle and 76c under full load at stock fan speeds as apposed to the BFG's 58c idle and 86c under load at stock fan speeds. The card also has an added benefit in my system, the PCI bus noise is much lower compared to all of the other GTX 285 cards I have tried. Great card I only wish MSI had a better warranty, they should realize that if the want to be major competitor with video cards, they need to offer lifetime warranties like XFX, BFG and EVGA.

Is this currently the coolest running GTX 285 that you can buy?

Is it cooler than the EVGA Backplate one?

I would say. Sparkle has this beastly one out, but I haven't seen it available for purchase anywhere.

The backplate helps some. Not like a new cooler, though. :)

~Ibrahim~

I was more surprised that GTX 280>285 can see more difference in game settings.

I'm pretty sure it is cooler than the back plate model from EVGA. This thing loads at about 53C on 70% fan. 53C.

~Ibrahim~

Back