MSI motherboard RMA issues [poor customer support][

cokewithvanilla

Weaksauce
A member of the MSI customer support staff just told me I was a wasting his time and hung up on me. I actually asked him, if, in fact, on this recorded call he was telling me that I was a waste of time.... and he said "yes", and explained why. Would not get me a supervisor.

Basically, I have a faulty X99A XPower Gaming Titanium, usb issue. For me, I'm done with MSI... not because of the product, but the service is appalling.

I have followed up with them in email and a second service agent. No supervisor yet, but an issue like this isn't worth this much of my time, so, I guess, buyer beware.

Last edited:
I had horrible CS with MSI with a Z77 MPower board. That was my last MSI product. I have a list of Manufacturer's/Brands I avoid because of horrible/poor/lack of tech support.

>>Basically, I have a faulty X99A XPower Gaming Titanium, usb issue.

How is it faulty?

Is it physically damaged?

No, its having issues with one of the USB hubs being turned off. was having post issues with USB code, two techs confirmed they believe it a motherboard issue. The issue that prompted the tech to act in such a way was that I requested an RMA where I would get my board before sending mine back. This was offered with the previous tech I talked to. After he denied, I asked for a supervisor, and ended up hearing I was a waste of time, he explained that I was trying to drag on the conversation and no supervisor would speak to me, then I asked him to confirm what he just said, asked for a supervisor again and he hung up on me.

Last edited:
nvm... just read your last post again and saw you are getting POST errors.

Yep, sure sounds like a mobo problem.

Last edited:
Most of the time when I have a mobo go bad, I buy a new one and sell the RMA repair/replacement when it comes back.
Either that or save it as a spare, whatever.

That keeps my down time and frustration level to a minimum.

Most of the time when I have a mobo go bad, I buy a new one and sell the RMA repair/replacement when it comes back.
Either that or save it as a spare, whatever.

That keeps my down time and frustration level to a minimum.

That makes sense, and its likely what i'll do.. if it were dead, I'd have already done it. but technology moves a bit fast for that. no point in me buying a 4-500 dollar X99 mobo when i can get a 7800x and a mobo for 650. 'advanced rma' is the modern norm. I was actually surprised when they didnt think it was. I havent done a single rma in memory that hasnt gone that way. Dell, logitech, corsair, plantronics... and just about everyone else (bed stu, allen edmonds, zagg, name a company) considers reverse logistics a priority. Dell sent me 6 monitors over night 3 times when I had issues, they finally upgraded my model (due to RBG/BGR configurations). I literally had 18 of their monitors in my possession at one point. Plantronics sent me a headset for free (didnt ask for the old one back) when I had connectivity issues. I will buy from these places forever.

In any event, it's poor business practice to insult a customer. I honestly made a poor choice going with MSI in the first place, should have gone for a more common board (think Rampage). Oh well. Just sharing my experience here. I Dont like it, so i wont buy it... figured maybe that would apply to someone else.

edit: MSI never commented on the issue with the customer service rep... not on the phone, twiiter, or email. Leads me to believe this is their norm.

Last edited:
Granted, it was a few years ago, but I had to send my MSI laptop off for warranty repair twice. It was painless and the techs were friendly. But then I wasn't arguing policy with them either. lol

Granted, it was a few years ago, but I had to send my MSI laptop off for warranty repair twice. It was painless and the techs were friendly. But then I wasn't arguing policy with them either. lol

Same thing on my x370 that was giving me weird SATA issues but I also just went along with non-advance RMA and upgraded to Skylake-X in the process. It was a smooth experience minus being without a mobo for 3 weeks. Now selling my X370 board. Didnt realize I could get better service, ie Advanced RMA, with other mobo makers. Wonder if Gigabyte does this. If so great since I have 2 of their boards right now. If not who? ASUS? AsRock? This would be worth paying a premium and/or being brand loyal.

BTW I know this exists since I've done this with Dell and their monitors but I assumed thats why their monitors are always a bit more expensive than most of their competition as this was priced in.

Msi doesn't do advanced rma it's as simple as that your asking for a service they don't provide.

I had a MSI Radeon 280X that started dying 3 months before warranty expired. They sent me a MSI R9 390 in place of it(had to return the 280X first so they could exam it, of course). Can't really complain about that. I've been happy with MSI's RMA service.

OP complains of service by MSI because he wants a service that they simply don't offer, then talks about Asus... Not sure if you know what you're getting your self into but sure, go ahead!

On a more serious note you should go with EVGA if you want advanced RMA. They usually are pretty good about their warranties. Then again you pay a premium, on mostly, mediocre boards. What you're looking for in the mobo world doesn't exist.

Last edited:
If I bought something from you, or better yet, I bought something from someone else who bought it from you. Than I ask you directly for another one because I thought mine was broken. Sight unseen....people are inherently dishonest, not everyone is willing to take others only on their word. Msi has a good turn around. My mobo was out for maybe a week and the new one was shipped out.

What you want is to live near a microcenter. Buy the $20 2 year warranty, swap it out in person if anything ever goes wrong.

How does he sound entitled? Because he wants an item under warranty to be repaired as it was offered to him? Sounds like a consumer with a faulty product, to me.

A member of the MSI customer support staff just told me I was a wasting his time and hung up on me. I actually asked him, if, in fact, on this recorded call he was telling me that I was a waste of time.... and he said "yes", and explained why. Would not get me a supervisor.

Basically, I have a faulty X99A XPower Gaming Titanium, usb issue. For me, I'm done with MSI... not because of the product, but the service is appalling.

I have followed up with them in email and a second service agent. No supervisor yet, but an issue like this isn't worth this much of my time, so, I guess, buyer beware.

I sold that exact board and both me and the buyer have had nothing but issues with that board.

Is there a mention on their website that they do in fact not do advanced RMA? Most mobo companies do not do advanced RMA and I think that some that do will put a hold/charge for the RETAIL price of said board on your card then refund it when send the bad board back. Some will even whine about that.

If someone did in fact previously tell you they would do a advanced RMA and they are now saying otherwise, sounds pretty shifty on their part, or that one person is a total dumbass for telling you that.

Sounds like you need to just bite the bullet, send the board back and let the RMA progress.

Is there a mention on their website that they do in fact not do advanced RMA? Most mobo companies do not do advanced RMA and I think that some that do will put a hold/charge for the RETAIL price of said board on your card then refund it when send the bad board back. Some will even whine about that.

If someone did in fact previously tell you they would do a advanced RMA and they are now saying otherwise, sounds pretty shifty on their part, or that one person is a total dumbass for telling you that.

Sounds like you need to just bite the bullet, send the board back and let the RMA progress.
OP made assumptions that Advanced RMA was standard.

Back