MSI motherboard RMA experience

I'll chime in here with my experience.

Personally, I had to deal with two 790FX-GD70 boards going bad inside of 6 months. First one would not even post, just completely locked, unless the EPS connector was not plugged in. I had the board for 3 months with a 965BE C2 in it. I mail it to MSI, and three weeks later get the replacement; a refurb. That one lasted another 3 months, one day after dropping in a 1090T, without OCing, and the board blistered on the back. My guess was the 965 was working the VRM, and the 1090T just came in at the wrong time. I contacted MSI about it, noting I didn't seem to be the only one with the issue, and asked for some shipping help due to each time costing me $30 shipping via USPS (I later found a UPS depot, and save $4). MSI took a week to respond, and basically told me a flat no.
I eventually took the heatsink off the board, and one VRM wasn't even contacting the heatsink, causing it to overheat, melt solder joints, and blister the board. At that point I was pretty annoyed at having spent $190 total for a board that was dead inside the warranty period. I know RMAing takes time and money, but come on. This was their flagship AMD board at the time. When it ran, it ran great. But the heatsink issue was their mistake, and they had an utter lack of care about the customer. So, they went to my list of makers I will never buy from, or recommend (along with Antec and Enermax).
Someone mentioned Antec as being good. In 2003 I spent 11 months dealing with them refusing to reply regarding RMA issues (had no phone for long distance at the time). After some threats, they responded, were extremely rude, and blamed me for them taking that long a time.
Back on topic, I switched from the MSI to a Gigabyte..and went through 2 RMAs with that board, too, except the second time Gigabyte offered to pay for return shipping. Go figure. So...a double deuce to MSI, Antec, and Enermax (for just making unreliable PSUs that like to burn systems...go screw).

Lengthy rant over.

I am having a terrible time with them.

Look up newegg reviews for 870a-g54 motherboard. Tons of people with doa boards even as recent as this week.

We got a doa board. Went direct to them for rma because of posting in newegg review section with specific title and email address. That only delayed having to fill out for an rma, had to pay for shipping.

Asked for working board to be returned and found out yesterday they sent back a brand new packaged motherboard. Guess what, also DOA!!! No mention of what was wrong with the first one, their online rma status thing also didn't work.

So I suppose nobody checked the board out, pulled some stock off the shelf, just as I would assume newegg would do. That is the reason we went straight to the source in the first place!

So now here we are a month+ since the initial purchase, can't get a refund for the board, and the rebate is messed up.

So we are forced to play their game I guess, but looking at newegg reviews there is no way I can let my uncle use this part. It will probably die later. And now I can only question the company.

I am going to have to call and see wtf is up. I am going to flip out if they ask me to pay to ship another board back to them.

I am having a terrible time with them.

Look up newegg reviews for 870a-g54 motherboard. Tons of people with doa boards even as recent as this week.

We got a doa board. Went direct to them for rma because of posting in newegg review section with specific title and email address. That only delayed having to fill out for an rma, had to pay for shipping.

Asked for working board to be returned and found out yesterday they sent back a brand new packaged motherboard. Guess what, also DOA!!! No mention of what was wrong with the first one, their online rma status thing also didn't work.

So I suppose nobody checked the board out, pulled some stock off the shelf, just as I would assume newegg would do. That is the reason we went straight to the source in the first place!

So now here we are a month+ since the initial purchase, can't get a refund for the board, and the rebate is messed up.

So we are forced to play their game I guess, but looking at newegg reviews there is no way I can let my uncle use this part. It will probably die later. And now I can only question the company.

I am going to have to call and see wtf is up. I am going to flip out if they ask me to pay to ship another board back to them.

I have an 870a-G54 on the way to me, but I'm overseas and I had my buddy just toss it in another box to reship to me when he got it form newegg... You are freaking me out right now....

ok not really, but I'm concerned.

I think their products are a little weak. I bought a MSI 6600GT a long time ago. Fan broke. They sent me a new one, that one broke too. I had just 2 weeks ago flashed my BIOS to get better memory capability but it killed it. I think the board was already going bad and the update did it in. Had to RMA that. I did buy 1 mobo a few years ago and no problems so...

3 products - 2 RMAs...

Compare that to my 2 gigabyte boards that are old as dirt and thats pretty crappy numbers.

Sorry to hear a few of you had trouble with MSI RMA. I sent out my board on the Oct. 25th and currently being held at FedEx for me to pick up (stuck at work:( ).

I do agree with the poor RMA status look up as it doesn't tell you much besides "in process" for one and a half weeks. Just send MSIRMA an email and they might be able to give you a real update.

Hopefully it will not be a DOA board.

Back