MSI Mobo died 2 months out of warranty :( Anything I can do?

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
My MSI motherboard simply stopped working and it's exactly 2 months out of the warranty so I can't RMA. Does MSI ever honor products that die so close to within the warranty? I used their support ticket system and got rejected. This is the first motherboard I've owned that ever died on me, and the fact it was so close to the warranty period really deters me from ever buying another MSI board :(

Cheers

Sucks, but writing a company off because they would not support a product with expired warranty might be a little harsh. On the bright side you had a product that had no issues for the advertised warranty length of the product. I have seen far worse with people trying to get in warranty support with other companies and have major issues getting resolution.

Yeah I think your being too harsh on MSI, pretty much all companies aren't going to help you for free 2 months over warranty, maybe a month and you could probably get one of the better companies at customer service like Apple to give an exception, but 2 months out you'd get denied by pretty much everybody.

I understand, maybe I'm just extra sour because it just happened. I've never had a motherboard fail before, let alone in under 2 years.

By any chance, did you purchase it using a credit card that has an extended warranty feature?

sadly no :( I'm a bit surprised there is no kind of grace period of like 3 months within the warranty that MSI might honor out of goodwill...I know other companies do this for smaller electronics.

What motherboard do you have that has less than 2 years of warranty? I just looked at about 10 random boards from H55 to Z97 chipsets, low and high end, and they all showed 3 year warranties.

Asrock used to have 1 year warranties. Maybe they have 3 now also?

Op, was your system overclocked? I always consider the consequences when ocing, not that i care anyways. I'm happy running my rig stock. Cars on the other hand are a money pit to build up!! :(

It's 3 (like most) but it wasn't in use for the first whole year.

..... Capacitors can still go bad even not being used. You also stated that it went out prior to being used for 2 years. Sounds like maybe you delayed on getting the RMA?

My MSI motherboard simply stopped working and it's exactly 2 months out of the warranty so I can't RMA. Does MSI ever honor products that die so close to within the warranty? I used their support ticket system and got rejected. This is the first motherboard I've owned that ever died on me, and the fact it was so close to the warranty period really deters me from ever buying another MSI board :(

Cheers
You can buy a new motherboard. That's about it.

If it's out of warranty then it is. It's not manufacturer's fault. I've had Abit motherboards that died every 6 months because of stupid fan design. Go buy another one and you should be okay. Usually computers outdated within 3 years anyway.

Back