msi meg x570 unify cpu fan stuck on lowest speed

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I built my R9 3900X system back last august, my Gigbyte Master board I had with it died suddenly (I think a transistor on the board its self shorted out) so I swapped in a MSI MEG x570 unify as a quick and cheap replacement and it worked amazingly, even the CPU was about 10oC cooler under full load on this board, was quit happy with it for the last two month. I was looking at my system temps today and noticed my CPU was 87oC at idle and the chipset was also 82oC, the CPU fan was 300RPM (Max 1400) and the chipset was 0RPM (max 3300), I was in the BIOS trying to mess with my fan curve, turning AMD cool and quite off, turning smart fan off even did a update to the latest BIOS but nothing, it would stay stuck at 300 and 0 respectively no matter what temp was reporting, I had to resort to locking the CPU and chipset fan at 100% just to keep my system from cooking to death (the case was hot to the touch when I first noticed this) anyway I cant seem to get the fan curve to work under any condition from the BIOS tools even though it work 100% 2 months ago when i swapped in this board and i did nothing in the inbetween to mess with it as i was happy with the default settings the only thing i did was update to the latest ver at the time and turn on XMP.

If anyone has had this issue and a solution pls let me know, I cant send this back right now, I have yet to send the gigabyte board in because Im missing the default CPU mount that it came with and it needs to be on when I send it back, ontop of that this virus had causes everything to come to a halt so sending it now it not a option.

Are those the temps reported in the BIOS? What if you tried to change the fan curve to be based off another temp sensor? And if you chipset is that hot just sitting there idle then I assume there is either something wrong with the board if that is what the sensor reads when in the BIOS. Also when you say your case was hot to the touch I would also think there is a larger underlying issue since I would think that it would take a lot of hear and really poor case air flow to make a case hot, even warm, to the touch. My chipset temp does not get above 50C on most days. But HWInfo64 says that my CCD1 and CCD2 get to 209C at some point and even adds a CCD3 that does not exist. My min temp on my CPU is -10,000C, so I do not really trust the software all the time. Lol.

ya the temps were all reported in the bios as high, the case has good airflow and 3 case fans (2 front 1 rear) the chipset fan was at 0 RPM for hours before I noticed the issue and the CPU fan was at its slowest speed, I can not switch sensors for the chipset and switching for the CPU did nothing, messing with the fan curve did nothing aswell, all i can do is lock the fans to 100%

i'd try reflashing the bios if you can, maybe something got messed up or go back to an older version if possible.

If you re-install the BIOS or downgrade and it is still a problem then it is either the board or something with the PSU supplying way to much power. My idle temps for the CPU in BIOS is like 25C and the chipset is maybe 30C if that. I honestly have never seen my chipset get hot enough to even turn the fan on during normal operation, let alone be hot enough to need it when in the BIOS.

ya the temps were all reported in the bios as high, the case has good airflow and 3 case fans (2 front 1 rear) the chipset fan was at 0 RPM for hours before I noticed the issue and the CPU fan was at its slowest speed, I can not switch sensors for the chipset and switching for the CPU did nothing, messing with the fan curve did nothing aswell, all i can do is lock the fans to 100%

Replace that chipset thermal pad too. It is a cheap thermalpad with fabric interwoven inside it. I replaced it with paste and my temps dropped 20c and my chipset fan never turns on anymore. It is essentially passive now.

I'm at the 4 month point with my Unify 3900x build. I haven't had any problems at all. Try what the posters above suggested.

Will try downgrading the BIOS when I get a chance but im not messing with the thermal pad under the heatsink, the board is still under warranty first off and secondly I suffer from spinal damage so I would take me much longer to do that and this being my primary rig I dont want it to have massive down time. If I cant get the fan control to work I will have to send this board back, in the mean time does anyone know of a software solution to control the fans, something that could override the BIOS settings be hopefully be free to use, thanks for your time and sorry for the late response I have been in serious pain for the last 3days and have been basically bed ridden for most of it

Back