MSI MEG 342C QD-OLED 3440x1440 Curved

MSI could be a win if it's cheaper than the Alienware and just as good. No G-Sync module could mean lower cost.

Curved = no go for anything but gaming :(.

Not true. Right distance and curvature makes your brain perceive panel as flat. Once your eyes get used to it, using a flat non-curved panel makes your brain think its curved, but outward and not flat... I just FUBARed my curved OLED and went back to non-curved LCD. I'd know...

MSI could be a win if it's cheaper than the Alienware and just as good. No G-Sync module could mean lower cost.
$1100 based on the video. Actually have had the AW for almost a year now but if all were available at the time, between all options my top 2 picks would be the DW & MSI.

Last edited:
Better Color Coverages and Deeper Black than the Alienware one due to different Glossy Polarizer/Film. Can drive 1440p 175Hz 12bpc without DSC 1.2a, no G-Sync Ultimate chipset shouldn't compromise anything, has both Full-Bandwidth HDMI 2.1a and DP 1.4a, KVM and other features you can find in a very few OLED-based monitors on earth.

Very solid overall, only if it was 32" 4K 144Hz. Anyway, this's the end-game UW 1440p Curved monitor.

Better Color Coverages and Deeper Black than the Alienware one due to different Glossy Polarizer/Film. Can drive 1440p 175Hz 12bpc without DSC 1.2a, no G-Sync Ultimate chipset shouldn't compromise anything, has both Full-Bandwidth HDMI 2.1a and DP 1.4a, KVM and other features you can find in a very few OLED-based monitors on earth.

Very solid overall, only if it was 32" 4K 144Hz. Anyway, this's the end-game UW 1440p Curved monitor.
It's an AW3423DWF clone with 175Hz instead of 165Hz, HDMI 2.1 instead of 2.0 (not sure what modes are supported), and KVM. The coating is the same as on the Alienware as mentioned in the review linked above.

I picked mine up as soon as it was available. One annoyance is the front RGB strip. Every time I turn the monitor off then back on, it doesn't remember my setting for OFF. There was a firmware update on 6/05/23 that fixes that, but the update fails every time I try it. I do have a USB extension cable so it actually reaches my PC. Maybe that's the culprit but it's way too much work to get the pc close.
The monitor has been great so far. The only thing outside of the RGB strip that has annoyed me is blacks seem... crushed or something. In dark games I can't see a damn thing. Say you go into a dark room in Rust. Everyone can still see stairs and me, I can't see a single thing. I can if I go nuts with the gamma, but that is not optimal.

I picked mine up as soon as it was available. One annoyance is the front RGB strip. Every time I turn the monitor off then back on, it doesn't remember my setting for OFF. There was a firmware update on 6/05/23 that fixes that, but the update fails every time I try it. I do have a USB extension cable so it actually reaches my PC. Maybe that's the culprit but it's way too much work to get the pc close.
The monitor has been great so far. The only thing outside of the RGB strip that has annoyed me is blacks seem... crushed or something. In dark games I can't see a damn thing. Say you go into a dark room in Rust. Everyone can still see stairs and me, I can't see a single thing. I can if I go nuts with the gamma, but that is not optimal.

That's odd. From MonitorsUnboxed video the MSI's gamma tracking should result in dark detail being lifted and brighter than reference, not crushed.

1688844146470.png

Hmm, it apparently has a "Night vision" mode of sorts you could play with. Don't play rust but likely have to change settings.

My experience with MW2 and AW is I had to increase darkness specifically (HDR in game calibration). Only because it was actually too realistic, I wanted increased brightness in dark areas lol

1689003449554.png

I was able to get the firmware to update by factory resetting the monitor, setting the refresh to 144hz, and shutting off my second monitor. Not sure which of those three was the trick, but it worked.

Just fyi for anyone in the future that might have the same updating problem.

Edit: Also, the night vision helps in some games. I've tried different profiles and I still can't see a thing in many dark areas of some games. I'll have to see if HDR makes nay difference. I generally only use HDR for movies. Don't feel like burning this oled out.

Back