MSI Lightning II vs. GTX 480

Riddleofsteel

[H]ard|Gawd
I was just wondering if the 5870 Lightning II was as fast as or overclockable enough to make it as good as or maybe even faster than a stock GTX 480. Thank you for any help.

Just buy 2 460's and over clock them easily and use multi-monitor gaming without freaking display port crap and save $80..

I don't have an SLI board. Another thing, is a third party cooler for a GTX 480 bad news since it exhausts the hot air into your case?

The 5870 won't be faster than the 480. But it will likely be quieter. Nonreference solutions do not exhaust hot air from the case like reference designs. But if your airflow is ok, that shouldn't be a big problem. Your inner case temps will rise a few C though.
I find that when you OC a 5870 the noise advantage tends to disappear but I really haven't had the lightning on hand so I don't know how effective/quiet its cooling design is. Read some reviews and decide for yourself.

I'd go with ROG Matrix Platinum if I were set on buying a 5870.

I don't have an SLI board. Another thing, is a third party cooler for a GTX 480 bad news since it exhausts the hot air into your case?

If you have good airflow in your case then its not bad news.

When it comes to speed: GTX480>5870

Back