MSI Launches The GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G

With the latest 355.60 WHQL drivers that just got released, I idle at around 42C now. :)
lol how would the driver make any difference? Unless the previous driver was making you run higher clocks or load at idle then that makes no sense.

So is everyone satisfied with the noise levels of this card? (I've asked this earlier.) Or is it very dependent on the airflow in your case?

So is everyone satisfied with the noise levels of this card? (I've asked this earlier.) Or is it very dependent on the airflow in your case?

I think the noise levels are quite acceptable but the card runs hot by default so when overclocked they might get louder. However, 100% on this card is nowhere near as bad as the Gigabyte G1 at similar RPMs.

If you can afford it and fit it, a G10 + Corsair H55 (or similar cheap AIO cooler) is a great upgrade. My computer is near silent when gaming now.

I think the noise levels are quite acceptable but the card runs hot by default so when overclocked they might get louder. However, 100% on this card is nowhere near as bad as the Gigabyte G1 at similar RPMs.

If you can afford it and fit it, a G10 + Corsair H55 (or similar cheap AIO cooler) is a great upgrade. My computer is near silent when gaming now.
The card does not run hot. Idles around 32 here and never goes over 79 on auto fan even when oced to 1520. At my typical oc of 1430 it never goes over 77 on auto fan. And that's when testing it in heavy benchmarking or demanding games running uncapped. In real world gaming usage where I use vsync at 60 fps the card obviously runs even cooler.

EDIT: I don't have the MSI 980 Ti, but the Gigabyte 980 Ti G1. Not sure how the heck I managed to miss the thread title other than something in my brain was apparently crosswired at the time!

Idle at 35C (0% fan) at 78F ambient, and under Valley I see 74C (~70% fan) while overclocked to 1515 MHz boost and +25mV with the stock fan profile - and at that level it is much more quiet than my old 780 Ti Classified (~25%), and a TON more quiet than my old reference cooler 780 Ti (~50%) - those sound level comparisons are based on looping the Valley benchmark (sound muted) in the exact same case with the exact same case fans.

100% fan speed is loud - really loud. Yet it never even comes close unless you manually set it there.

I should mention that I have replaced the stock TIM (which was actually applied very well) with ICDiamond which reduced temperatures ever so slightly - but more importantly it sped up the thermal conductivity to help transfer the heat more quickly so that the GPU stays cooler, longer, when the GPU isn't being taxed.

Also of note, I have two 180MM fans blowing at it from the side of my case which I am certain helps to keep it cool.

Last edited:
100% fan speed is loud - really loud. Yet it never really goes above 74C / 70% with the stock fan profile and a nice healthy 1515 MHz OC, and at that level is much more quiet than my old 780 Ti Classified (~25%), and a TON more quiet than my old reference cooler 780 Ti (~50%).

I should mention that I have replaced the stock TIM (which was actually applied very well) with ICDiamond which reduced temperatures ever so slightly - but more importantly it sped up the thermal conductivity to help transfer the heat more quickly so that the GPU stays cooler, longer, when the GPU isn't being taxed.

Also of note, I have two 180MM fans blowing at it from the side of my case which I am certain helps to keep it cool.
Lol 100% fan speed is not that loud at all on this card. A couple times I have even forgot that I left it at 100% as the sound is not all that annoying. Now in dead silent room or with the pc near your face then it will be loud but anything would seem loud like that. And yeah It is quieter at 100% than the vapor chamber reference cooler at 50%.

In a dead silent room 100% fan speed on this thing is loud to me, and I do have case that doesn't dampen noise - then again, I seem to have become more sensitive to fan noise recently. So I have changed out case fans, unhooked others, replaced CPU fans, etc.

Now leave me alone and let me be ornery and overly-sensitive to noise ya damn kids!

If I do not adjust GPU/memory clocks, or change the default fan curve, what percentage will my fans usually reach while gaming?

I used to water cool, but I got really tired of the maintenance and having to take it all apart every time I upgraded, so I went back to air. But what you mentioned look like self-contained water cooling. Will they really last five years without refilling?

And do you have any idea if one or both of those would fit in my Antec P180?

Thank you. I have not kept up with computer hardware in a long, long time.

I found the best way to water cool for an easy life is to do just the CPU.
My pump is an Eheim 1048 pond pump with 1/2" ID pipe, very reliable and silent, been running for around 5 years 24/7 and had 1.5 years use before that.
Using an external Rad.

A CPU water block lasts through tons of upgrades so becomes great value and all the air in the case is cool for the GPU.
(My block was cooling on a X38 board, P67a, now Z170)
Then get a GPU with a good cooler and you are golden.
Loads of space inside the case and not much to gather dust and restrict airflow.
GPUs can be easily changed too.

The tubing complexity is reduced being a single device and it gets much better performance without a GPU in the loop.
An external radiator is easy to clean and can use a large silent fan.

The card does not run hot. Idles around 32 here and never goes over 79 on auto fan even when oced to 1520. At my typical oc of 1430 it never goes over 77 on auto fan. And that's when testing it in heavy benchmarking or demanding games running uncapped. In real world gaming usage where I use vsync at 60 fps the card obviously runs even cooler.

Lucky you, I was seeing idle temps near 60 and load temps very close to 80 and the fans ramped up quite a lot. I do have a quiet case which isn't exactly great for airflow but at least it is quiet. To be honest I would've been fine with the stock cooler on the MSI but I bought the G10 + Corsair H55 at the same time just to be sure I get a quiet card after being severely disappointed with the Gigabyte G1.

Lucky you, I was seeing idle temps near 60 and load temps very close to 80 and the fans ramped up quite a lot. I do have a quiet case which isn't exactly great for airflow but at least it is quiet. To be honest I would've been fine with the stock cooler on the MSI but I bought the G10 + Corsair H55 at the same time just to be sure I get a quiet card after being severely disappointed with the Gigabyte G1.

There are a lot of dependencies here. The first one I can think of is whether or not you are driving more than one display. If you are, it is normal for the card to idle around 60C, because it has to run at higher clocks more frequently in order to drive the displays. I had this "issue". The workaround was to set a custom fan curve; the fans at around 30% is SILENT, I kid you not. Now, I idle at around 42C now, with the latest drivers.

The 980ti can cope with 2 or 3 1080p displays without raising power use.
It would need to exceed that or have something else keeping the clocks from idling.

The 980ti can cope with 2 or 3 1080p displays without raising power use.
It would need to exceed that or have something else keeping the clocks from idling.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by that. Power use as in raising clock speeds?

It is well established that more than one display (all it takes is one) will cause the video card to frequently run at higher clocks. It still downclocks (my old GTX 570 by comparison NEVER downclocked with dual displays).

I can easily replicate this by disabling my second monitor, and my idle clocks go down to about 135/405 and never budge. Likewise, temps as a result go way down to about 32-35C. As soon as I enable my second monitor, that all goes out the window.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by that. Power use as in raising clock speeds?

It is well established that more than one display (all it takes is one) will cause the video card to frequently run at higher clocks. It still downclocks (my old GTX 570 by comparison NEVER downclocked with dual displays).

I can easily replicate this by disabling my second monitor, and my idle clocks go down to about 135/405 and never budge. Likewise, temps as a result go way down to about 32-35C. As soon as I enable my second monitor, that all goes out the window.

I dont doubt your experience but it suggests something is different with your setup.

My GTX580 power use didnt change when running 1 or 2 1080p displays (unless I used a program that needed more gpu power).
Neither does my 980ti.
My 290x however used to use 40W more when using more than 1 display.
I was critical of the 290x because of this.
All the above on Win 7.

My 980ti is on 2 displays as I speak and is at complete idle.
The fan is off and idle temp is 32C.

I dont doubt your experience but it suggests something is different with your setup.

My GTX580 power use didnt change when running 1 or 2 1080p displays (unless I used a program that needed more gpu power).
Neither does my 980ti.
My 290x however used to use 40W more when using more than 1 display.
I was critical of the 290x because of this.
All the above on Win 7.

What resolutions are your screens? It might be because my main display is 2560x1600.

I use nV-Inspector and have multi-monitor low power state active with exceptions in place for games. Even with 8560x1440, the card doesn't need to push much for my desktop and work stuff, so it stays silent and cool.

I see parts of some games that cant even stay above 1420 but most will maintain 1440-1450 without throttling. You have a magical card if it can maintain 1500 under full gpu usage uncapped.

If I'm lucky then I got lucky twice, because both of my MSI 980 Ti 6G's exceed 1440-1450 quite easily and will maintain those frequencies. One of mine is slightly better than the other but the worst of the two still maintains 1482MHz under load.

If I'm lucky then I got lucky twice, because both of my MSI 980 Ti 6G's exceed 1440-1450 quite easily and will maintain those frequencies. One of mine is slightly better than the other but the worst of the two still maintains 1482MHz under load.
Make a video of you running Metro Last Light benchmark on very high settings with very tessellation at 1440p or 4k then I will believe you. Until then most of you can claim you maintain these clocks well above 1450 in all your games but I don't believe it. I certainly dont buy any of these 1500 mhz + claims in uncapped demanding games at 1440 or higher on stock bios. ;)

I went through MSI, Giggabyte, and Zotac. I have yet to find a card that can maintain 1500+ at 4K on the Witcher 3. Maybe my bad luck or maybe most of these 1500+ claims are on 1080P.

I went through MSI, Giggabyte, and Zotac. I have yet to find a card that can maintain 1500+ at 4K on the Witcher 3. Maybe my bad luck or maybe most of these 1500+ claims are on 1080P.
People just flat out exaggerate.

People just flat out exaggerate.

Heh, well my Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 does the Witcher 3 1080P with max settings at 1500MHz just fine (1515 start). I also tried it with DSR at 3840X2160 and had the same results - granted the FPS was crud.

I'm not certain if there is any practical difference between DSR 4K and actual 4K - so that may skew my results.

do you use 3dmark to stress the card?

See sig. Game stable 24/7. Once I throw in the Kraken on my second classified I should be able to do about 1525/8200.

Heh, well my Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 does the Witcher 3 1080P with max settings at 1500MHz just fine (1515 start). I also tried it with DSR at 3840X2160 and had the same results - granted the FPS was crud.

I'm not certain if there is any practical difference between DSR 4K and actual 4K - so that may skew my results.
At 1500, I get the little bit of red flickering in Witcher 3 others have mentioned when their oc is too high in that game. A little under 1480 is the highest artifact free oc in Witcher 3 I have tried.

Last edited:
At 1500, I get the little bit of red flickering in Witcher 3 others have mentioned when their oc is too high in that game. A little under 1480 is the highest artifact free oc in Witcher 3 I have tried.

I've not seen any red flickering, but I also haven't pushed this card hard to try and find the max overclock. For me the minimal gain for a 1550+ clockspeed (ala White Whale/Captain Ahab) really isn't worth sacrificing the stability I currently enjoy.

You simply need watercooling. My MSI + G10 bracket + Corsair H55 runs around 1500 at 1440p just fine, including The Witcher 3. I don't see much sense trying to push it much further.

You simply need watercooling. My MSI + G10 bracket + Corsair H55 runs around 1500 at 1440p just fine, including The Witcher 3. I don't see much sense trying to push it much further.

This (or a better card).
My card is a 68.9% ASIC air cooled SC+ ACX2.0+.
It is good for 1454MHz while keeping pretty quiet.
With a high power BIOS to get 1.25V, and 75% fan, it is stable at 1500MHz.
Water would allow this card to go a little further.

Yep anything over 1479MHz was a no go on the Twin Frozr cooler, would artifact instantly in Firestrike at 75-79c, my 63% asic does not help. Now 1500MHz is achieved under 55c but it's wasted on me as I use 1080p or 2160p DSR with a 60Hz monitor. Don't underestimate the soft throttle with 980Tis when they reach 65c

Makes sense if everyone's reporting it under water. Mine had 71%, 74%, and 78% ASIC and no go on air. I'll pass on an extra $100 for 5% gain.

Yeah, its steep if you are ok with the air cooler.
Since upgrading to Skylake, my card gets pushed even harder.
At 1454MHz, it hits 100% use in Project Cars and Witcher 3 even more !!
Cant test GTA V just yet cos of drive space (cant fit the 10GB upgrade).

Makes sense if everyone's reporting it under water. Mine had 71%, 74%, and 78% ASIC and no go on air. I'll pass on an extra for 5% gain.

Fair call. I went with the AIO cooler because I can move it to my next card and above all keep my system quiet.

Make a video of you running Metro Last Light benchmark on very high settings with very tessellation at 1440p or 4k then I will believe you. Until then most of you can claim you maintain these clocks well above 1450 in all your games but I don't believe it. I certainly dont buy any of these 1500 mhz + claims in uncapped demanding games at 1440 or higher on stock bios. ;)

Its fine if you don't believe me or anyone else that has a 980 Ti that clocks above 1500MHz. I'd make a video but I'm simply too lazy to go through the trouble. I don't need to prove anything to you and I have no reason to lie about it either since I'm perfectly ok with it if you don't believe me, really I am. There's no e-penis here.

Its fine if you don't believe me or anyone else that has a 980 Ti that clocks above 1500MHz. I'd make a video but I'm simply too lazy to go through the trouble. I don't need to prove anything to you and I have no reason to lie about it either since I'm perfectly ok with it if you don't believe me, really I am. There's no e-penis here.
Well as I have said, there are certain games at 1440 and 4k I believe there is no chance people with a stock BIOS can maintain 1500 in. I can and do provide proof of any claims I make if someone asks me to as it only takes a few minutes. It is nothing personal though.

Well as I have said, there are certain games at 1440 and 4k I believe there is no chance people with a stock BIOS can maintain 1500 in. I can and do provide proof of any claims I make if someone asks me to as it only takes a few minutes. It is nothing personal though.

If you want to use your stock bios then don't expect to get good overclocking results. The rest of us will use custom bios's to take care of the power limit throttling the voltage on the cards.

[email protected] on an egva 980ti.

Or just buy a card that already has a good "stock" VBIOS such as the Gigabyte 980Ti G1 - 130% power limit.

If you want to use your stock bios then don't expect to get good overclocking results. The rest of us will use custom bios's to take care of the power limit throttling the voltage on the cards.

[email protected] on an egva 980ti.
You took that completely out of context. I was referring to those claiming to maintain over 1500 in all games with the stock BIOS.

Back