MSI Launches The GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G

Hmmmm kind of interested in a 980ti with a full VRM memory cooling so I can easily put on a H55 with my NZXT bracket.

Anyone have pics on the 980ti MSI gaming with the heatsink off? I know the lightnings usually work.

Hmmmm kind of interested in a 980ti with a full VRM memory cooling so I can easily put on a H55 with my NZXT bracket.

Anyone have pics on the 980ti MSI gaming with the heatsink off? I know the lightnings usually work.
There is an Asian reviewer on youtube that takes the card apart.

Looks like this would work really well with an aio cooler... damn tempting to just buy the G10 bracket from NZXT.

Last edited:

The VRMS and memory are passively cooled by air from the fans

fPo9bni.jpg

iXD4Rcd.jpg

The gigabyte actually has active cooling on all the VRM's and memory in comparison, which is another reason I went with that model.

cooler1.jpg

LdG17df.jpg

Last edited:
Really wish they would start using fins on the entire cover plate.
Even better, if they would attach the cover plate itself to the base of the heatsink. I believe Gigabyte does something similar with their G1's.

However, the plate works much better for AIO setups as previously mentioned.

Yea the MSI Gaming would work perfectly. Looks like I might snag one of those up, have to check out to see if there are any unlocked bios's out for it.

Yea Gigabyte is a no go if you got AIO. Thats why my 970 G1 is still air. Too much of a pain in the ass to get passive cooling on the VRM's and memory.

Cannot say its bad either, because even air cooled the G1 is a badass!

Looks like this would work really well with an aio cooler... damn tempting to just buy the G10 bracket from NZXT.

Let me tell you. It really works so damn well. When I was able to game on my MSI 780 lightning, I got up to 1500mhz and it stayed below 75C @ 1.35v (i finally backed down to 1450 because boy I was working my Corsair AX1200). They really really work well.

As long as you can keep the VRM's and Memory cooled (Like the pic of the MSI gaming) you are good to go.

I don't see much of a difference between the two. With the MSI the VRM and memory has its own heat sink whereas the Gigabyte uses the same heat sink for the chip, VRM, and memory. What I do know is that with the MSI, at zero fan, the temperature is a good 2-3 degrees lower. I think that's due to the superior design of the heat sink.

I don't see much of a difference between the two. With the MSI the VRM and memory has its own heat sink whereas the Gigabyte uses the same heat sink for the chip, VRM, and memory. What I do know is that with the MSI, at zero fan, the temperature is a good 2-3 degrees lower. I think that's due to the superior design of the heat sink.

When it comes to air cooling probably not. The only thing I would like the MSI Gaming is for putting my spare H55 and G10 NZXT bracket on it.

Then I don't have to fuck trying to cool the VRM's and Memory, as with the Gigabyte I would have too.

You guys are aware corsair and MSI are planning to release a AIO?

That looks like the card to wait for.

Anyone hear of any other AIO 980ti?

When BHPhoto comes back online I am ordering 2 of these mofos.
Not going Gigabyte this round since their card is 20 more each so 40 more and also has coil whine issues galore just like last models. Need to wait for Rev 1.1 which can be quite a bit far off.

Can't wait till July 10th for ASUS Strix so MSI gaming it is.

Yea the MSI Gaming would work perfectly. Looks like I might snag one of those up, have to check out to see if there are any unlocked bios's out for it.

Yea Gigabyte is a no go if you got AIO. Thats why my 970 G1 is still air. Too much of a pain in the ass to get passive cooling on the VRM's and memory.

Cannot say its bad either, because even air cooled the G1 is a badass!

I am looking at doing the same thing - MSI Gaming with AIO and bracket. I plan to retain the midplate and backplate though. Waiting to hear if I will need a copper shim or not as the die area looks pretty clear compared to the EVGA ACX that has the 4 metal tabs from their midplate that come into the die area. I would like to put an H90 on their so I can use it with the 140mm noctua fans I already have installed. All the hybrid boards are 120mm.

The heatsink over the VRM looks perfect for doing AIO like NZXT because it has the fins already for more surface area compared to just flat piece of metal. You could probably attach low clearance heatsinks over the VRM areas on plain flat metal midplates though...

What's the difference between AIO and the EVGA Hybrid?

The Hybrid models like EVGA and the upcoming Corsair come from the manufacturer with the AIO attached and typically retain the midplate/backplates for cooling of VRAM and VRM. Normally when people put the NZXT bracket on they remove the midplate (sometimes backplate too) and slap the AIO unit on the GPU die and a fan blows on the VRM. There is no heatsinks or midplate to help with heat exchange of the VRM or VRAM so the temps of these components can get high. That is why you will see people buying 3rd party heatsinks to place on those components.

EVGA charges $110 for the hybrid cooler, which is about how much you would pay for components individually (AIO, bracket, heat sinks) anyways....you just can't find the hybrid cards or the hybrid cooler in stock right now.

Eh, you water cooling peeps are never happy, i'll stick to the simplicity of air cooling for my needs.

Eh, you water cooling peeps are never happy, i'll stick to the simplicity of air cooling for my needs.

You should be shocked how easy it is to mount an H55 on that MSI 980ti with a NZXT bracket. Will take around 15 minutes tops.

if you want to overclock to the max, with never having to worry about reaching the temp limit. It is the way to go.

You should be shocked how easy it is to mount an H55 on that MSI 980ti with a NZXT bracket. Will take around 15 minutes tops.

if you want to overclock to the max, with never having to worry about reaching the temp limit. It is the way to go.

Don't care

Just ordered 2 of EVGA 980 Ti classified instead of MSI Gaming cards. I am hoping they perform better and are quiet. I have always been intrigued by the gaming cards but it is always something that stops me from getting them. This time it was shipping charges since BHPhoto was charging me 83 bucks shipping, Amazon wasn't offering international shipping and with newegg I have to first ship to NY and then get it shipped to my home country. Just a hassle.

Classifieds will cost me 20+9 import fees to get it in my home.

Landed cost with MSI gaming with newegg option was 1430, with BHPhoto was 1424 and landed cost of Classifieds is 1430. lol.
Right choice? I can still cancel order on Amazon unlike other sites.

Just ordered 2 of EVGA 980 Ti classified instead of MSI Gaming cards. I am hoping they perform better and are quiet. I have always been intrigued by the gaming cards but it is always something that stops me from getting them. This time it was shipping charges since BHPhoto was charging me 83 bucks shipping, Amazon wasn't offering international shipping and with newegg I have to first ship to NY and then get it shipped to my home country. Just a hassle.

Classifieds will cost me 20+9 import fees to get it in my home.

Landed cost with MSI gaming with newegg option was 1430, with BHPhoto was 1424 and landed cost of Classifieds is 1430. lol.
Right choice? I can still cancel order on Amazon unlike other sites.

Classifieds or the Gaming 6G for the same price...? You'd be crazy if you didn't go for the Classys.

Thanks for the link.

With all the 4k hype there are games that even the fastest cards can't handle at 1080p.

This is becoming less and less true. I used to feel this way back when I had my 7870 and got a 290X when it came out. There hasn't been a single game since then that 1080p (19x12 for me) even posed a minor threat unless you wanna run 16xmsaa or something ridiculous.

This is becoming less and less true. I used to feel this way back when I had my 7870 and got a 290X when it came out. There hasn't been a single game since then that 1080p (19x12 for me) even posed a minor threat unless you wanna run 16xmsaa or something ridiculous.
You are telling me you can run GTA V at constant 60 fps with a single card at 1080P with max details including whatever AA the game offers? Or Witcher 3?

You're not an enthusiast if you don't run multiple GPUs.

Even if you have a Titan X overclocked, it still cannot run every game on its maximum settings at 4K resolution and hold 60 FPS. You still need two GPUs for 4K 60 FPS.

If you're not gaming at 4K 60 FPS by now then you are not an enthusiast.

Also, multi-card setups are only a PITA if you go with AMD, because AMD's drivers are terrible. Nvidia supports SLI very well. The only 'AAA' game I've played in years that couldn't support SLI was Dead Rising 3.

You do not get to dictate the meaning of enthusiast to other people. Sorry to break it to you but just because you believe something doesn't make it true. Oh and last time I checked CF and SLI are equal in terms of headaches. If anything I have seen CF scale very well.

You are telling me you can run GTA V at constant 60 fps with a single card at 1080P with max details including whatever AA the game offers? Or Witcher 3?

My over clocked strix 980 nearly can on witcher minus AA and hair works at 1200p, so 1080p easily

You guys are buying into the marketing. Just because they give you options doesn't mean everything should be turned on to max. Some of those options even make your game worse. AA makes your image less sharp which was a good trade off when resolutions produce horrible jagged edges. Now, with high res, I prefer my image sharp without AA. Then there's chromatic aberration which actually makes your image significantly worse with its weird perspective issues and color fringing.

Of course, now they throw in GameWorks which although looks great, is totally unnecessary for a fun experience. They will keep throwing stuff in to make you OCD people buy multiple video cards and/or higher tier cards just to play 1080P at max. I can see significant differences between 4k and 1080P in the image quality department. All the other post-processing stuff are insignificant and are just fluff that barely makes a difference. Saying that 4K is not possible on a single 980TI because you're just so OCD that everything must be maxed out is just that, OCD. New games will add in additional post processing and game work features to entice you to buy multiple cards to max out settings, you'll see more grass, more trees, etc. but that's just quantity rather than quality, which is resolution.

Its a big marketing game to sell more GPU's (especially Nvidia) by throwing more intensive features at Ultra. Not just 5 years ago, high was the optimal settings and Ultra or Uber was the 3 years from now settings when you have excess GPU power. Now, Ultra is the desired settings with the kitchen sink that gets thrown in. And as evident by Batman, without a PS4 version to compare, we dont know how badly a programmed a game actually is.

Having said that, you gotta scratch whatever itch you have. Buy 2, or 3 980Tis. Do what makes you happy. Cheers!

Why is chromatic aberration in video games a thing? There's software that people use to try and PREVENT that in photos.

Hah. You haven't run the Early Access game
Ark Survival Evolved, have you?
OR EUro Truck Simulator 2 with max 400 scaling loaded with map mods and other mods
that greatly enhance the game.... all the above at 1920x1200

Snicker.

It wasn't until I ran into Ark Survival Evolved, that I had a insane irrational urge
to upgrade my GTX970 . I say insane as it is plenty for all I do and thought it would
be for years to come.

I have a irrational belief fed by purchaser urges that a 980 TI would help.

I am trying hard to resist.

In my rationalizing I keep telling myself I will someday , perhaps later this year,
get a nice extra large 28 inch plus 1440p monitor. That might properly justify the expense for a 980TI and the MSI Gaming G1 looks like the ticket.

You guys are buying into the marketing. Just because they give you options doesn't mean everything should be turned on to max. Some of those options even make your game worse. AA makes your image less sharp which was a good trade off when resolutions produce horrible jagged edges. Now, with high res, I prefer my image sharp without AA. Then there's chromatic aberration which actually makes your image significantly worse with its weird perspective issues and color fringing.

Of course, now they throw in GameWorks which although looks great, is totally unnecessary for a fun experience. They will keep throwing stuff in to make you OCD people buy multiple video cards and/or higher tier cards just to play 1080P at max. I can see significant differences between 4k and 1080P in the image quality department. All the other post-processing stuff are insignificant and are just fluff that barely makes a difference. Saying that 4K is not possible on a single 980TI because you're just so OCD that everything must be maxed out is just that, OCD. New games will add in additional post processing and game work features to entice you to buy multiple cards to max out settings, you'll see more grass, more trees, etc. but that's just quantity rather than quality, which is resolution.

Its a big marketing game to sell more GPU's (especially Nvidia) by throwing more intensive features at Ultra. Not just 5 years ago, high was the optimal settings and Ultra or Uber was the 3 years from now settings when you have excess GPU power. Now, Ultra is the desired settings with the kitchen sink that gets thrown in. And as evident by Batman, without a PS4 version to compare, we dont know how badly a programmed a game actually is.

Having said that, you gotta scratch whatever itch you have. Buy 2, or 3 980Tis. Do what makes you happy. Cheers!

And for other people 4k is a waste for a monitor that stays at arms reach, I'd rather play on a 27" 1080/1440p 144hz

Hah. You haven't run the Early Access game
Ark Survival Evolved, have you?
OR EUro Truck Simulator 2 with max 400 scaling loaded with map mods and other mods
that greatly enhance the game.... all the above at 1920x1200

Snicker.

It wasn't until I ran into Ark Survival Evolved, that I had a insane irrational urge
to upgrade my GTX970 . I say insane as it is plenty for all I do and thought it would
be for years to come.

I have a irrational belief fed by purchaser urges that a 980 TI would help.

I am trying hard to resist.

In my rationalizing I keep telling myself I will someday , perhaps later this year,
get a nice extra large 28 inch plus 1440p monitor. That might properly justify the expense for a 980TI and the MSI Gaming G1 looks like the ticket.

Don't even think of upgrading for the sake of ARK. Pretty sure the devs have no idea what they are doing with their customized UE4 engine. Even a Titan X can't run it with any decent looking settings. Literally everyone is lowering the "resolution scale" setting whose max is 100% (so everyone is playing with a low res).

My over clocked strix 980 nearly can on witcher minus AA and hair works at 1200p, so 1080p easily

Well.. I've dropped into the 50's on my heavy OC 970, and my settings are all max except for grass dropped down 1 notch, no hairworks (big performance gain there). I however have a 120Hz 1080p display so the 980ti is going to be the way to go for me.

I wonder what that means for those of us that ordered it and had a 7/1 date.

Did anyone who ordered it early and have a date of 6/25 actually receive theirs yet?

I'm pretty sure that means the first shipment has been allotted for. The original estimate date was July 25th, not June 25th. It was a place holder.

I ordered on BH as well...tempted to cancel it and order from NE but tax on a $680 purchase as well as the other items to apply the G10 bracket is a solid reason to keep away from the cancel button.

If one of you remove the heatsink on your card, let me know if the G10 can fit without a shim!

In stock at Newegg as of 12:50pm EST... just ordered one plus a XB270HU. It's been a long wait but finally time to see what G-Sync is all about :)

Back