MSI land on my black list. Reason? MSI CENTER.

vlad_8011

Limp Gawd
Hi .

I wanted to present you my story, but it would take too long - in short, i WAS fan of MSI - in terms of hardware/software - it was least problematic above all Gigabyte and ASUS, till now.

So you decide to choose hardware for your PC? You got whole list of all possible configs - but if you want to get full control over your hardware with least bloatware, you choose same brand of Motherboard and GPU (for this example - lighting, which is forced in all MSI-AMD cards).
Now, you got specified target and budget for hardware - in my case that was B550 Chipset, Ryzen 5800X, Trident Z Neo RAM, 6800 XT. So after analyzing all KNOWN downsides of all known manufacturers i choosed MSI.
To control GPU in any manner, you need GPU drivers. I choosed "full install", as i wanted to use least third party software, and after using that card for tests on X470 chipset motherboard, i knew thats good shoot. Here comes the stairs....
I knew i cannot install Mystic Light standalone, as it wont work on B550 and X570 chipsets, to control RGB ONLY i HAVE TO USE Mystic Light, which is bundled in to MSI Center. Software looks good and stable, if you ignore the facts, that default settings are collecting data about you and auto-update, which resets privacy settings in this software every update. But forget about it - it nothing.

After XFX incident (absurd loud coil whine in 3 pieces of new cards - 6800 XT Merc 319 CORE in the row! No way to get rid of this, tried all possible solutions) i decided to MSI Gaming Z Trio, (which MSI decided to delete its page on their site) for testing, and its coils are ticking - until i use slight undervolt. Its bad silicon, and can go only to 1100mv/2300Mhz instead default 1150mv/ 2409Mhz, but thats enough to coils be silent enough, but cooling solution (heatsink) is way under expectations and even after fan swap it needed -3% to power limit. So i set custom profile for UV - zero rpm off, 2300Mhz max core clock, 1100mv max core voltage, -3% power limit and custom fan curve.

And it was fine, untill i discovered, that after system restart or just turning on PC, fans on my GPU are off until it reaches 50 degree C. I remember i turned zero-rpm feature off, so i went into Adrenalin Software and saw default power limit, default fan curve, default core clock, and zero-rpm on (default setting). There was no notification, that settings was restore beacuse of error crash or anything. I tried 3 types of drivers, removed all possible software, didnt used Afterburner, and it was still an issue.

After next reinstall of system, i installed one program after another with adrenalin settings in mind, with restart after every program i installed and detected MSI Center is an issue. So i reported that issue to MSI Support. After more than 2 weeks of fighting, testing optional drivers they told me to install, they stated (now hold on):
Zrzut ekranu 2022-08-28 181659.png

Which in translation to english means :
854659MSI Center resets AMD Adrenalin 2020 profiles

Content:
Hello,
Thanks for waiting.
After careful analysis of both programs, unfortunately, this behavior of the MSI Center application is forced and cannot be changed.
This means that having MSI Center installed will overwrite the AMD Adrenalin settings by default.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
MSI Technical Support
So i have to choose - RGB control or quiet and cool GPU. Do you feel that logic? "We know about the issue and wont fix it". What company do such terrible software and got such support?!
They have no non-rgb GPUs in the offer, so i had to choose Gaming X or Z, they have great Mystic Light that can control all of my RGB, but hidden behind software that cause problems, which they are aware of, and they still cant release standalone Mystic Light nor fix the issue in MSI center? This is high level BS, which i simply dont accept.

There is no way to be aware of this issue, its not described anywhere yet, so threat this as a warning.

In newer (1.0.50) versions of MSI Center only zero-rpm and power limit gets reset, sometimes core clock, but still, there is an issue they dont want to fix. That said, they land on my personal Black List of manufacturers uncapable creating proper hardware/software, right next to ASUS, Gigabyte and XFX, and that said its my last PC.

Of course i tested all possible RGB software out there (OpenRGB, SignalRGB, and some other alternatives, with careful removal of its files with reinstall (tested one by one, one at the time)) and none of these detect my GPU. RGB on my RAM resets everytime i reset, turn off and on my PC, so to get RGB OFF or preffered effect i had to keep some RGB control software.
Ofcourse, physical switch for RGB on my motherboard and BIOS options for disabling LEDs completely wont work on RAM and GPU (while GPU and MB are same brand).

So keep it as warning in case you plan to buy AMD GPU and considering to choose MSI.

I think it's a sign from the universe to forget about RGB and stop using it.

I'm surprised there aren't more options to control fans completely independently of software. There is a device that has a temperature sensor that controls fan voltage, but it's somewhat rudimentary. It is cheap though. But might require soldering and voiding warranties. Probably.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I control fans in BIOS, but have PWM controller powered by SATA, i use it for fan testing, it got knob to control PWM.
But LED control is nightmare for most manufacturers, and people keep saying "you dont like it? Turn it off". If they would know its not that simple.... Having different brand of MB and GPU force you to use two bloatwares like MSI Center.... This have to end.

Ah ok, so by default, the RGB is just doing a random pattern, or its pattern of choice, and it's resetting back to that behavior every time you cycle the PC power. Yeah, that would be annoying.

My little fan controller recommendation is probably not that useful, but in light of fans only coming on at all until 50C is reached... there's got to be a product someone already made that does the job with custom fan curves. I've found GPU fan headers to be easily damaged by fans that go bad. Not sure how common that is on 6800XTs that haven't been mined on, but still. Maybe someone can recommend a better external solution for the GPU.

You really can setup your fans in the UEFI, but failing that there is always FanControl. It's open source, but brand agnostic.

Every company wants you to install a Chinese data-collection app on your machine.

New mainboard? Chinese data collection app to control your RGB
New router? Chinese data collection app to update firmware or set up
New toaster? You bet a Chinese data collection app to make it toast bread

It's freaking disgusting and I hate it.

Just a comment on the AMD card coil whine - I had this BAD when I had a 6900XT, and it was the power supply causing it. I was using an EVGA 850W Platinum, switched to a Corsair RM1000i and it turned the GPU silent.

Just a comment on the AMD card coil whine - I had this BAD when I had a 6900XT, and it was the power supply causing it. I was using an EVGA 850W Platinum, switched to a Corsair RM1000i and it turned the GPU silent.
For me Corsair, Seasonic, BeQuiet, Thermaltake, SilentiimPC had the issue. Plus I see comments on YT under my video, that a lot of people have same problem and only with XFX CORE variants. I completely lost trust in this company. 3 cards in the row with same problem is too much to be coincidence.

For me Corsair, Seasonic, BeQuiet, Thermaltake, SilentiimPC had the issue. Plus I see comments on YT under my video, that a lot of people have same problem and only with XFX CORE variants. I completely lost trust in this company. 3 cards in the row with same problem is too much to be coincidence.

Is the core a reference PCB? I almost picked up a core edition 6900XT since they're only $699 now but I went with a 3090ti instead for the time being since I could get a nice MSI one for $1079. My 3070ti is pretty good but I'm playing at 4k and it really struggles with games like Cyberpunk.

Is the core a reference PCB? I almost picked up a core edition 6900XT since they're only $699 now but I went with a 3090ti instead for the time being since I could get a nice MSI one for $1079. My 3070ti is pretty good but I'm playing at 4k and it really struggles with games like Cyberpunk.
To be honest I have no idea. But CORE and BLACK looks identical, only difference is cheaper components on PCB and less OC possibilities on CORE.

Back