Msi K8n Neo 2 Plat. Problem

RomanMtz

Gawd
Hello...

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I have with this new system I built. So I completed buying my parts for my new system and I put them all together. These parts included an OCZ Powerstrean 520W PSU, MSI NEO2 Plat mobo, 512 OCZ Plat. Rev 2 RAM and a new 3000+ socket 939 CPU.

My problem is that once I power the system on, it stays on for like 5 seconds (without showing a video signal) and then automatically shuts off. I tried different PSU's and RAM and the same thing happened. I'm thinking it's either the CPU or the mobo. Has this happened to anyone before? Please help me out here!

Thanks in advance! :D

Did you happen to check out the color code on the rear pci slot of the computer? Can you tell me what it is showing. Also with mine I had something very similiar except sometimes the screen came on and it froze when checking the raid array which I don't use and other times it would just not show up on the screen at all. The problem I found out was that the default settings in bios in the cell portion were too low for my memory so it gave me all kinds of fits. Well even when I attempted to enter bios it would freeze on me because of the settings. So after trying to reset CMOS with the jumper it still would freeze on me. The only way I could get it to come up on bios is to
remove the power from the computer,
wait 15 sec,
remove the battery from the motherboard,
wait at least 15 minutes (anything less than 15 min would result in same problem),
replace battery and then power,
and power up while hitting the delete button in order to enter bios.

While in bios go straight to the cell menu and change to your recommended memory settings.
Unhide the hidden features by pressing: shift +f2 and then alt + f3
disable agressive timing
disable nv/ati speedup
If changing HT freq then do not press enter but use pg up or pg down or it will freeze

Also this board underclocks the voltage of your processor by .1v doesn't seem like much but if you plan on overclocking it can make a difference. You may want to account for this in the CPU voltage.

Let me know if you need anything else. Good luck!

Fireplay5

Hey Fireplay5, thanks for the reply...

I haven't had a chance to check the diagnostic leds thoroughly... I didn't pay much attention to this because the comp completely shuts off on its own after being on for about 4-5 seconds so I really can't distinguish where the leds were when it shuts off...

I cleared the CMOS before firing the system up for the first time and then again when it didn't turn on the first time and it did nothing to the problem. The thing is that I don't even get a video signal on my monitor before it shuts off completely so I'm guessing the only I can go by are the LED's...

So removing the battery for 15min didn't work? It took me forever to figure that one out on mine. I still don't really know why it fixed it.

Back