Hi everyone,

Here's info on my build:
Lian li q11b
Core i3 Clarkdale (no OC)
Corsair h50
4GB ram
1 TB 7200RPM
MSI Hawk Radeon 5770 (two fans)

At start up, I'm getting a weird grinding noise from the GPU (right side) fan.
If I leave it alone, it goes away after 2-3 minutes.
I've stopped the fan temporarily with my fingers at start up and let it run again and that stopped the grinding noise.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm sure there aren't any cables hitting the fan.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bad fan bearing. Unless you fancy replacing the fan yourself, either live with it / unplug the fan, or RMA the card.

Bad fan bearing. Unless you fancy replacing the fan yourself, either live with it / unplug the fan, or RMA the card.

Wouldn't a bad fan bearing keep on making the noise? How is it that the noise stops after just 2-3 minutes?

Someone will probably freak out over this idea idk but leave the side off start your computer up and stop the fan from coming on w/ your hand since there's two do one at a time one should be good to cool the card while you test it. At least then you'll have it ruled out if the noise persists.

Wouldn't a bad fan bearing keep on making the noise? How is it that the noise stops after just 2-3 minutes?

When you have a bad fan bearing, what typically happens is they grind when they are cold (i.e. when the machine is first switched on) - almost invariably they stop making the noise once they warm up. You can sometimes get the noise to stop by tapping the fan hub. Be advised though, the grinding noise usually coincides with the fan running at far below its usual speed (e.g. I had an 80mm 2500rpm fan that did it, and when it was grinding, was only moving at about 300rpm)

When you have a bad fan bearing, what typically happens is they grind when they are cold (i.e. when the machine is first switched on) - almost invariably they stop making the noise once they warm up. You can sometimes get the noise to stop by tapping the fan hub. Be advised though, the grinding noise usually coincides with the fan running at far below its usual speed (e.g. I had an 80mm 2500rpm fan that did it, and when it was grinding, was only moving at about 300rpm)

Thank you for the explanation.

Unfortunately my RMA period was over couple months ago... had this card for only 8 months before it started making this sound...

Have you (or anyone) dealt with MSI warranty? I don't know if I should send it in for warranty (I didn't even get a rebate back from them properly...) or should I just buy another card from another brand?

Back