MSI Hates me, I need a new Socket A mobo

lorcani

2[H]4U
My MSI board kicked my ass, as did both of the replacements. I'm honestly thinking about running it over with a car, that's how much pain and suffering it has caused me. KT4 Ultra, I bid you.. adieu. I'll spare you the details.

What I need is a Socket A motherboard to accomodate the following parts:
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with the retail HS
Generic PC2100 DDR 128Mb (Yeah, I know :p)
ATi Radeon 9000 Pro
Turbolink 420W PSU
Maxtor IDE 36Gb HDD
CD
CD-RW
On-board sound

On-board networking would be a nice addition, but it's not totally necessary.

The only thing I ask is that it be relatively cheap ($70 absolute MAX, $60 would be better), and not be MSI. MSI will never darken any computer I ever touch again. :D

Overclocking is a big no-no. What I need is enough stability to get me through the day, and the staying power to not die within 3 months (unlike MSI :rolleyes: ).

Thanks, guys. I'll post back in a few minutes with the one I wanted to buy off Newegg.

I built a rig once for a friend using the Kt4 Ultra FISR board. I have to agree with you I wasn't terribly impressed with it at the time. Had some quirky bugs, but after messing with it for a couple days I figured out how to make it happy. Come to think of it I haven't heard from the guy quite awhile, so it must be working just fine.

CVNet1 said:
I built a rig once for a friend using the Kt4 Ultra FISR board. I have to agree with you I wasn't terribly impressed with it at the time. Had some quirky bugs, but after messing with it for a couple days I figured out how to make it happy. Come to think of it I haven't heard from the guy quite awhile, so it must be working just fine.

I probably could get it working. The question is, is it worth the time and effort, and the risk that it may crash again? Not in my eyes.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-127-157&DEPA=1

ABIT "KD7A" KT400A Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL - $49 with free shipping.

That sounds like a fockin' terrific deal, and RETAIL! Anyone have any worthy objection?

edit: I just googled it, and got a post about possible data corruption over 191Mhz FSB. Since I won't be overclocking, this ain't no thang. :) Anything I may have missed?

Bump. Anyone know about the Abit KD7A mobo? I want to get your opinions before I buy.

Ack!!! I've gone through a few bad MSI and FIC boards myself. I finally found a nice toasty & warm home with my Asus A7V8X board for my Athlon XP2700. It even has a few nice toys that comes with it. Asus and Abit are my choices, both make good boards.

Back