MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Golden Edition

LOL @ the little micro-fan on the side. WE NEED MOAR FANZ!!!11

I wonder how quiet it is with that mini fan...

lol.. I know right. Just make the whole shroud out of fans. :p
The Inno is almost there. :eek:

Ordered one of these through my dealer, he only charged $15 more than the regular version :D

don't ask about the original price though, you'll never believe the card was sold in Taiwan (Taiwanese version of the Australia tax ftw...)

I am also considering asking about returning my old card and changing to this version instead (it is barely 3 weeks old, it didn't have the bad fan sticker when I got it), but... it has no coil whine, +225 core, +450 VRAM stable at stock voltage and BIOS....

*patiently awaits the day when the GPU vendors sell their GPU with the fan side facing up*

Until that happens, performance >>>>> looks :D

No it does not.

I am not sure if it comes with a sticker (I cannot remember if I saw it or not, I had one of my local dealers show me the card), but if there was, it definitionly wasn't golden.

I'm having an issue where I launch the MSI Gaming app and all I get is a system tray icon which then disappears when I mouse over it. I don't see it running in processes, either. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted, etc. Any help getting this thing running would be great.

I'm having an issue where I launch the MSI Gaming app and all I get is a system tray icon which then disappears when I mouse over it. I don't see it running in processes, either. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted, etc. Any help getting this thing running would be great.

Don't bother with that garbage stuff..... We're wanting to know (at least I am) if this overclocks as good or better than the standard MSI Gaming 4G?

Check your ASIC yet? Run GPUZ 0.8.0, right click upper left corner where the video card icon is and click "Read ASIC Quality...." There will be a %...

Don't bother with that garbage stuff..... We're wanting to know (at least I am) if this overclocks as good or better than the standard MSI Gaming 4G?

Check your ASIC yet? Run GPUZ 0.8.0, right click upper left corner where the video card icon is and click "Read ASIC Quality...." There will be a %...

73.1%

No idea what this means, lol

73.1%

No idea what this means, lol

Damn it... My EVGA 970 FTW is 93% but has issues and must be returned.... flickering screen even non-overclocked and driver crashes on desktop with nothing overclocked.

The ASIC % is a general idea of how you can overclock the GPU, when you ran it there was a suggested way to interpret the results. Basically higher % better for OC on air lower % better for high end LN2 etc.

I was really hoping they were binning these chips (sorting them and putting best ones) but doesn't seem like it. If this one sucks when I get it Thursday last choice will be Gigabyte G1

Damn it... My EVGA 970 FTW is 93% but has issues and must be returned.... flickering screen even non-overclocked and driver crashes on desktop with nothing overclocked.

The ASIC % is a general idea of how you can overclock the GPU, when you ran it there was a suggested way to interpret the results. Basically higher % better for OC on air lower % better for high end LN2 etc.

I was really hoping they were binning these chips (sorting them and putting best ones) but doesn't seem like it. If this one sucks when I get it Thursday last choice will be Gigabyte G1

So is 73% basically middle of the road? Should I be concerned?

So is 73% basically middle of the road? Should I be concerned?

No. I heard kingpin uses all 60% cards. The best explanation is it's an indicator of voltage leakage. The lower scoring cards OC better if you have the cooling capacity.

I also heard it doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot on the 9xx series. This is all from the couple hundred page thread at overclockers.

Anywho - see what you get.

If your apps aren't starting try the driver unistaller DDU and use new drivers off of nVidia and afterburner off the MSI page.

Off topic a bit but this bothers me cause I keep hearing about hit and miss EVGA quality in these 970's. They're my preferred brand but all these bad reports makes cards like these and the Gigabyte G1 look much better

Do some research but either in this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1/380

or another tread it is discussed that the EVGA model is the worst of all 970s. 2x6pin, restricted overclocking potential, low quality components.

If the MSI 970 Golden has issues the only other option is Gigabyte G1. I'm hopeful though that the MSI will be a winner. I plan to only keep the card 6-12 months max which is why I'm not watercooling it. I made the mistake buying two GTX 480 FTW HC @ $1300 now they are worth $150 for both... Going to lease GPUs from now on holding onto them too long isn't worth the losses.

I purchased one of these and it seems to be defective. One of the fans always spins at about 2300RPM regardless of temperature. It's very loud. I'm not all that familiar with using Nvidia products as I've been on AMD/ATI for the last 8-9 years but I've installed MSI Afterburner and tried to manually adjust fan speeds but none of the settings have any effect whatsoever on either fan.

If I manually set the fans to spin at 100% the 2nd fan never starts up and if I set them to as low as possible the fan that's stuck at high RPMs doesn't spin down. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with the software, but I can't get this card's fans to work properly so it's going back tomorrow. I haven't upgraded in a long time and was looking forward to playing some newer games, but alas it wasn't meant to be...

For those that are curious the ASIC quality is 62%.

ASIC 70.7% well this sucks..... could be worse. So does anyone else show GPU clock @ 1140 boost 1279 which is not correct for a Golden Edition? Specs are supposed to be 1165 / 1317..... GPUZ says otherwise...

ASIC 70.7% well this sucks..... could be worse. So does anyone else show GPU clock @ 1140 boost 1279 which is not correct for a Golden Edition? Specs are supposed to be 1165 / 1317..... GPUZ says otherwise...

Doesn't matter. Get on with OCing it and let us know if it really does suck.

Overclocking report is depressing. The EVGA 970 FTW had a wonderful chip that did 1500-1550 boost but reached TDP 110% and throttled, except they used cheap parts and the memory on that card would only do 7600....After 2-3 weeks it started to have issues crashing video driver on desktop and wouldn't run properly anymore at stock speeds.

FFW to today finally having enough time to test this MSI Gaming 970 "Golden edition" I was initially excited because it does very well at 8Ghz on the memory +500 in MSI AB (2003 reported in GPUZ) but when I set +150 for what was about 1520 boost it didn't last even in Valley @ 1920x1080 default ExtremeHD

So after what's been all day since 7am of testing and tweaking I've come to realize this GPU just isn't great I'm down to +100 Core Clock which is 1240 in GPUZ Boost 1379 and actual 1441 while in 3D it was OK at +140, +130, +120 but not 100% stable I thought at +120 I was OK until I changed to 2560x1600 then I had artifacts and still some issues.

Now +100 (boost 1441) for 30 min straight Valley it seemed ok 1 or 2 artifacts but it didn't pause and downclock to defaults like it was doing when it wasn't stable. Memory still doing fine at +500 for 8Ghz and I checked lowering the memory didn't help the core stability.

I don't know if 50-100mhz is really worth the hassle of RMA and looking at something else which would be the Gigabyte G1. I'm a little bummed I paid the extra $50 as it was $400 for this card. It does look great and the build quality is excellent temps are 65C almost all the time and there is NO coil whine and even with fans @ 90% you can not hear them.

FYI this 900 series is strange with voltage it did not really seem to help upping the voltage as the card would boost slightly higher with raised voltage not sure what's up with that but I tried all variations of voltage which max voltage ended up 1.25v but that fluctuates too like the boost clock.

Planning to not keep this long when they release a decent next gen card I'll ebay it and I'm hoping I'll get a quicker sale because these are limited to 2000 made in the world. Has MSI and Dragon LED lit up so looks great in a case if there's a window.

I have an MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition myself. ASIC of 60.5%.

Been running Unigine Heaven while trying to overclock and run into driver crashes after +228MHz Core clock with 110% Power Limit and +87 Core Voltage.

That still looks higher than my normal 970, I was only able to get 225 (1512MHz boost) on my 'vanilla' MSI gtx970, and the base clock on gold edition is higher.

Last edited:
Corrected :D

Edit: when people here report their core speed, is that the speed that shows up in afterburner? My 1512 is the value of the speed at the cap.

Corrected :D

Edit: when people here report their core speed, is that the speed that shows up in afterburner? My 1512 is the value of the speed at the cap.

Yeah people generally report what shows up in afterburner since the +225 is unreliable (card starts throttling, different baseline clocks, ect.) 1512 sounds like the right number.

The ASIC score does matter. You have to understand what it means and what you are looking for. then you top it off on how you are going to run your card. LN2, Dice, water or air. If you don't understand how it works, please stop posting it doesn't matter because it does.

All you have to do is look at all the threads with ASIC scores and overclocks. You can get a general idea how it works. The "Kingpin" cards are low ASIC because that is what you want is leakage when running extreme cold hardware. If you are on air you would want a higher ASIC score with less leakage. That way you will get better boost and higher overclocks with less voltage on a higher ASIC gpu.

Doesn't matter. Get on with OCing it and let us know if it really does suck.

The ASIC score does matter. You have to understand what it means and what you are looking for. then you top it off on how you are going to run your card. LN2, Dice, water or air. If you don't understand how it works, please stop posting it doesn't matter because it does.

All you have to do is look at all the threads with ASIC scores and overclocks. You can get a general idea how it works. The "Kingpin" cards are low ASIC because that is what you want is leakage when running extreme cold hardware. If you are on air you would want a higher ASIC score with less leakage. That way you will get better boost and higher overclocks with less voltage on a higher ASIC gpu.

That's the general jist but the patterns haven't been as clear with maxwell. My point was to not get worked up over the ASIC and get real results.

I don't know if 50-100mhz is really worth the hassle of RMA and looking at something else which would be the Gigabyte G1.

i understand your disappointment in paying a $50 premium but i would personally never RMA a card just because it didn't meet some artificial overclocking expectation i had in my mind. overclock potential is a crapshoot, you got what you paid for in your card which is the advertised clocks and a superior HSF. it's your card and not my place to tell you what to do, just my opinion.

I have no problems with that. I just don't like people saying it doesn't matter when in fact it does. But it is what it is now. But we would all love to have a high ASIC score gpu though. It seems 65% -75% is normal now though.

That's the general jist but the patterns haven't been as clear with maxwell. My point was to not get worked up over the ASIC and get real results.

I have no problems with that. I just don't like people saying it doesn't matter when in fact it does. But it is what it is now. But we would all love to have a high ASIC score gpu though. It seems 65% -75% is normal now though.

I usually try to not say something without citing some kind of data. I may have been excited to see real results and/or drinking too much. :) I actually looked for correlation data between ASIC and GPU performance and couldn't find it. Well, I tried...

Last edited:
Back