MSI GTX 760 - VRM too hot?

smoke2

n00b
I was wondering to buy MSI GTX 760, but one thing discourages me.
I found a review where thermo camera shows that reference GTX 760 cooler cools VRM better than Twin Frozr IV !
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/900-5/bruit-temperatures.html

I'm not confessed in this problem, but over 100 degrees in load seems many to me.

What do you think about that?
Will you doubt about lifetime?
Is these temperatures high?

Last edited:
Reference coolers are often better for VRM than custom ones. Its nothing new. Same like VRM temps in 100c area. Its not big deal. Only high end GPU i had with much more cooler VRM and PCB was gtx 580 Lightning ex. That thing was mild at worst and PCB was fantsatic.

Speed up fans and VRM will be cooler. 760 TF has slow fan profile like 770 TF and it can be very cool and quiet if fans is just few % faster. PCB on MSI 760 TF is not than bad. I wouldnt buy refernce design 760 or some models with short PCB. Read somewhere that OC potential is lower on those GPUs and some couldnt even work in stock clocks. Better 100c on higher quality VRM than 90 on reference desing, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Wow, that does seem extremely hot to me. Thats just the backside of the pcb, I'm sure that the vrms themselves are running a few degrees warmer. I'm surprised.

Honestly you should be fine with the GTX 760 TF. I am actually sort of worried cause my 760 windforce rev 2 is supposed to come in on monday and after reading lots of things about it, I sort of wished I opted for the TF version instead. Either way you should be pleased with TF though.

Don't you think Gigabyte GTX 760 rev. 1 have better cooled VRM's?
If I increase fan speed up about 20% how many degrees could be dropped?
Or how is your fan increased?

There is also review on MSI GTX 770 Lightning and it have only 85 degrees and I think it
have slow speed fans also just like GTX 760 TF.

narupls: Why do you preffer TF over Gigabyte 760 rev. 1 ?

Last edited:
Don't you think Gigabyte GTX 760 rev. 1 have better cooled VRM's?
If I increase fan speed up about 20% how many degrees could be dropped?
Or how is your fan increased?

There is also review on MSI GTX 770 Lightning and it have only 85 degrees and I think it
have slow speed fans also just like GTX 760 TF.

narupls: Why do you preffer TF over Gigabyte 760 rev. 1 ?

I actually only prefer the TF over the rev 2 as it probably has better cooling solutions (maybe not the VRM), also probably quieter but its good everywhere else and I heard it has good OC potential from most of the reviews. Plus I honestly think its better aesthetically if that matters in anyway. Now the rev 1 I'm assuming its the same as the gtx 680 version which was actually pretty decent so I can't really comment if its better than the TF or even the rev 2. So far I haven't heard that many great things from the rev 2 as you saw in that other thread we've been posting in, so honestly the rev 1 might very well be worth it over the rev 2 or even the TF. Either way rev 1, rev 2, or TF it'll be fine in the end hopefully no matter which one you end up choosing.

And if you will choose between rev. 1 and rev. 2 which one would you prefer to choose?

And if you will choose between rev. 1 and rev. 2 which one would you prefer to choose?

Not quite sure yet, I'll be receiving my rev 2 on monday from amazon. I'll let you know how I think about it. I mean I picked rev 2 because, well it was newer and has an updated cooler. You'd think it be better, but I guess this isn't really the case. But yeah I dunno we will see when I get mine, so I can't really comment.

OK, then please let know how do you like it with some insights.
The bad thing is you can really great cooled GPU, but VRM should be warmed in heat as MSI GTX 760.

OK, then please let know how do you like it with some insights.
The bad thing is you can really great cooled GPU, but VRM should be warmed in heat as MSI GTX 760.

Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully it's a very quiet and cool card that performs well, without any problems of course.

Back