MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G

Absolutely. Price/performance importance is correct. I went with 1080 only because I want to be sure that I will be safe for anything getting released in next 3 years and being able to play it on 1440p 144hz monitor. When volta or the next iteration after it comes I won't probably even bother with top end and will go once again with x70 card cause it will fit this resolution the best just like 970 was perfect for 1080p 144hz gaming last time. Your current res and quality define what you need, not if it's full or not full chip or that something better is on the horizon. There always will be and you will always lose some value. I hate people in constant waiting mod with hardware older than 5 years.

970 was not perfect for 1080p 144Hz AAA cranked up, my 980Ti had to drop settings pretty good in some games at 1440p but was golden at 1080p

970 was not perfect for 1080p 144Hz AAA cranked up, my 980Ti had to drop settings pretty good in some games at 1440p but was golden at 1080p

Well, if you're turning everything up everywhere - you can tank any card. There are always setting turning fps down dramatically.

I personally don't understand the hang up with turning down some settings for better performance. That's what makes PC gaming great is you have the freedom of choice.

Well, if you're turning everything up everywhere - you can tank any card. There are always setting turning fps down dramatically.

In the games I play, my Ti maxed all settings at 1080p 120+Hz. Ymmv. Can i turn it down for more fps? Sure.. do I want to turn settings down? Not if at all possible.

How much time have we wasted worrying about how someone else spent money? Someone who isn't even here participating? The off-topic BS gets so old. Create a new scalper bitch session thread or something.

When the next TITAN comes out the same people will be here bitching about how people are fools for buying that. There's going to be a Ti in XX months...blah blah. Don't you see it's a never-ending cycle of BS? Haha.

The x80 part is always the top end part. TITAN is for ultra enthusiasts. Ti is a later generation "maxed out" part. There's nothing mid-range about any of it. Other than some of us are nerds and we know how NVIDIA produces their chips and what's inside of them. Price/performance is what matters. Process node, how cut down something is, etc. - does not. Unless you truly buy based on if something is a full chip...then today you're buying a TITAN X for $1000. Or you're waiting for something that has not yet been confirmed nor reviewed (even though we all know that it is coming).

To talk about "investment" for any of these parts is idiotic. The only part that truly holds its value pretty steady throughout the generation on the NVIDIA side is the x70 part. x80, TITAN, and even Ti (because the new generation comes out fairly soon after) all are not good "investments" - but to base a hobby on just that would be stupid.

That's a long "anti-rant" post, kind of defeats your purpose. Can we all agree to just blame Nvidia for not having enough stock? This paper launch stuff sucks and leaves us nothing to talk about.

It took me literally 1 second to find an article describing 1080 as mid range. TI and Titan have always been "high end / enthusiast" and x80 have always been "mid range". You are confusing "current top spec" with Nvidia's tiering.

Nvidia's beastly GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070: The 10 key things you need to know

Nvidia Big Pascal GP100 To Debut in April - Mid Range GTX 1080 in June

if you look at the guru3d link and click the picture the thing is really wrong.

There wasn't a pascal titan before the 1080 or 1070, so from the beginning this whole article is wrong.

Ha, you guys are funny.

Don't want to get in a debate about the morals of scalping. That's just capitalism. Supply and demand.

In any case, a few extra hundred dollars won't break my bank account, and I didn't want to wait a month or spend all my free time pressing F5 on nowinstock.

Ha, you guys are funny.

Don't want to get in a debate about the morals of scalping. That's just capitalism. Supply and demand.

In any case, a few extra hundred dollars won't break my bank account, and I didn't want to wait a month or spend all my free time pressing F5 on nowinstock.

Pretty sure you can pre-order it on newegg as we speak. You got fleeced, but if you're okay with it there's not much more to say. And they wouldn't do it if there weren't anyone willing to pay those prices that's for sure.

Ha, you guys are funny.

Oh I am LIVING at nowinstock on week days! The discussions are actually pretty fun and useful but I'll be happy when I can quit.

I got the MSI cards today. Just hooked up one cause I don't have the HB bridge yet.

Performance seems nice, I can finally play Quantum Break at 1440P at smooth looking framerates.

The Firestrike score seems decent for just one card.

GTX_1080_One.PNG

Did have one issue, though. Seems when G-Sync is enabled I get bad flickering on the screen. Probably an Nvidia driver bug.

Also, oddly, I got a slightly better Firestrike score with Gaming Mode rather than OC Mode. Not happy about that, but maybe it's just a glitch.

Overall, though, in real gaming the card seems decent. Certainly a noticeable boost from the 980 I had before.

Actually, looking at the leaderboard on 3DMark, my score doesn't seem that great. Maybe the others are heavily overclocked or something.

Did have one issue, though. Seems when G-Sync is enabled I get bad flickering on the screen. Probably an Nvidia driver bug.

Also, oddly, I got a slightly better Firestrike score with Gaming Mode rather than OC Mode. Not happy about that, but maybe it's just a glitch.

Overall, though, in real gaming the card seems decent. Certainly a noticeable boost from the 980 I had before.

There's a driver hotfix for the flickering issue on Guru3d.

So I got the HB bridge and hooked up the second card.

MSI_Gaming_X_SLI.jpg

3DMark is certainly better now at over 22k score.

GTX_1080_SLI.PNG

However, this was a similar score to what I was getting with the Tri-SLI 980's I just replaced. Which is expected, I guess, though I was hoping for a little more.

In any case, I still think I'll come out ahead in the games where SLI is not supported, or when 3/4 way SLI did not have any significant gains.

I'll have to install some newer games to benchmark. I did a few tests with SLI enabled, nothing scientific.

Bioshock Infinite on Ultra, 7680x1440 running around 135 FPS.
Far Cry Blood Dragon maxed, 7680x1440 around 45FPS (which is playable, it was not playable before).
Ghost in the Shell maxed, 2560x1440. Didn't have FRAPS open, but it was clearly 144FPS+ (above refresh rate). AND stuttering was gone.

The GiTS game got me hooked for a while, but it had stuttering issues with 980 SLI. Trying now I'm getting silky smooth framerates with the 1080 SLI. So that's a big plus.

However, some games are crashing on launch. Happened on Far Cry (but then the 3rd time it worked). I could not launch DiRT3 even though I tried like 6 times. NOTE: this is a Surround issue (or maybe Surround+SLI). Things were working when I was testing one monitor.

I got the MSI cards today. Just hooked up one cause I don't have the HB bridge yet.

The Firestrike score seems decent for just one card.

GTX_1080_One.PNG
This is weird. Graphics score is almost the same as the score of my OCed MSI 980Ti:

I scored 16 892 in Fire Strike

I have 980Ti MSI Gaming OCed (offsets: core +134, mem +370), yesterday I bought 1080 MSI Gaming and compared it in stock (i.e. factory overclocking, without manual overclocking) with my previous card.The results are so underwhelming, that I am seriously considering returning the 1080:

Firestrike Ultra:
Result

Firestrike Extreme:
Result

Firestrike:
Result

1080 is not manually OCed, but from what I read, Pascal overclocks very poorly, so even after OC the performance gap will be below 25%, which makes it not worth it for me (especially considering how hugely prices of used 980Ti dropped - to about 410 euros (while a new MSI 1080 costs almost twice that.

I know 3dmark is just a synthetic benchmark - perhaps the difference in games will be better?

Games are far more important than 3DMark.
I very much hope that the performance difference in games will be better than in 3dmark.

So despite all of the evidence that 1080 isn't a good upgrade if you already had an overclockeD 980ti, you thought you'd try anyways, hoping everyone else was wrong?

I think you already know the answer to that question, right?

I did not factor in the OC potential of 980Ti vs OC potential of 1080. All reviews compared reference 980Ti to reference 1080, so the 3dmark scores looked like this:

IbqolB9.png

I did not know that overclocking 980Ti would close the gap so much.

Last edited:
How is MSI compared to warranty and support to, for example, eVGA? I've only ever had eVGA nVida cards. Am I shooting myself in the foot by not waiting for an eVGA?

So despite all of the evidence that 1080 isn't a good upgrade if you already had an overclockeD 980ti, you thought you'd try anyways, hoping everyone else was wrong?

Everyone that says it's not worth an upgrade are correct for themselves and no one else.

Exactly. It all depends on how much of a sacrifice the cost of upgrade is to you. If it means you'll eat cat food for a month after upgrading, then it's probably not worth it. But if you don't even notice this expense (if you have sizeable savings) then it may be worth it.

As for my experience, overlocking widened the gap to around 20-25% which is decent, and also for me the upgrade was worth it for the acoustic performance alone. In Poland now the temperatures are reaching 30 Celsius and my overclocked MSI 980Ti became really noisy. GPU temp exceeded 85% and so the fan was working at a very high RPM but the temperature still would not drop when the load was high (especially in the Witcher 3). 1080 has lower TDP and better cooling solution, so it's silent while being 20-25% faster. That's fine by me.

Performance in games is good. Getting well over 60FPS in Surround 1440P (7680x1440) with demanding games.

Unfortunately, I didn't bench with the 980's I replaced, so it's hard to say what the gains are exactly but it certainly feels smoother on my eyes.

Bench_DOOM.jpg

Bench_GTAV.jpg

Bench_TombRaider.jpg

Looking at the graphs, GTA and DOOM were completely smooth, no stutter or anything. Tomb Raider looked very smooth, but you can see there was in fact some stuttering going on. Honestly, it was not noticeable to me at all.

So if you're wondering if two of these guys can do 4K+, the answer is yes. Getting a very good experience in Surround 1440P. I'm not sure one card would cut it at that resolution. Hope that helps.

As stated before, I have MSI Gaming 1080. Yesterday I maxed out every possible seeing in The Divison and there were noticeable dips below 60 while on the streets. And that was during the day, night may be more taxing because of the shadows. GPU clock was above 2GHz. [email protected].

So.......I updated to that new OC BIOS so I wouldnt have to use the stupid gaming X software.....now my card is no longer reconizable.

Uh oh. Anyone else have any experience? It's still outputting video.....but gpuz wont reconize it.

nvm got it working again. Had to go to computer management and right click on the display display adapter and "refresh" for it to come back up. Oh man, got worried. Nothing was recognizing it, not after burner, nvidia control panel, nothing.

Now i have OC mode without having to use that stupid gaming app.

Is this bios better than just overclocking in Afterburner? Does it up the voltage or power limit?

nvm got it working again. Had to go to computer management and right click on the display display adapter and "refresh" for it to come back up. Oh man, got worried. Nothing was recognizing it, not after burner, nvidia control panel, nothing.

Now i have OC mode without having to use that stupid gaming app.
You probably forgot to disable the video card in device manager before flashing the new BIOS.
Is this bios better than just overclocking in Afterburner? Does it up the voltage or power limit?
The BIOS might use custom power targets in the Boost table, something that overclocking with Afterburner doesn't do.

The BIOS might use custom power targets in the Boost table, something that overclocking with Afterburner doesn't do.
You can set custom voltages in the boost table with AB-- hit CTRL-F to open that window. There's no button for it yet.

If you actually meant custom power targets as in the default max of 120%, then nevermind.

Everyone that says it's not worth an upgrade are correct for themselves and no one else.

Yet if you read what I actually wrote, I didn't say it was a bad upgrade. I said there is plenty of evidence to support it not being a good upgrade. For most people, that will be true. Of course people looking to squeeze out every drop will appreciate it, and if they have the financial means, more power to them.

I would personally upgrade just for the TDP improvements.

So it will most probably hit the same overclocking wall as all 1080s, around 2100MHz.

Back