MSI Getting Sued For Faulty Caps

GoHack said:
One thing I don't think anyone points out here is, we push these motherboards to the EXTREME with our overclocking, and they get quite hot. The only things cooled are the cpus and chipsets. What about the rest of the components? The resistors, capitors, diodes, ics, etc.

not everyone OC's. i bet if you ask around, you'll find that the majority of people that had problems, never overclocked.

GoHack said:
One thing I don't think anyone points out here is, we push these motherboards to the EXTREME with our overclocking, and they get quite hot. The only things cooled are the cpus and chipsets. What about the rest of the components? The resistors, capitors, diodes, ics, etc.
Heh, I'd like to see some watercooled capacitors :)

i watercool the [H]ard way... by sealing my computer, and coating every component in plastic, and then filling my case with coolant. then a put some peltiers all over the sides of the case, and have a fan that moves the liquid around inside...

not everyone OC's. i bet if you ask around, you'll find that the majority of people that had problems, never overclocked.

Just pointing out that, that for those that do o/c, the heat could damage those caps, especially w/bad air circulation within their computer cases.

where i work about 4 yrs aog we went though a very bad string of msi, where about 1 in every 3 died. they just kept replacing them with the same ones that died, we then swithced to gb, well, that was an even bigger mistake, the all pretty much had burst caps even 2 years later i was still repacing them, also, gigabyte IMO has one of the shittiest return policy's (over maxtor) that i have ever seen, since im in canadda, they want me to pay for shipping there and back, and not a small 5$ a board, but 25USD a board. they also want exact details on every component that was in the system
asus, the one board i had to return direct, was great, took 2 weeks to us, no payment for return shipping, and the board worked when it came back
now at work we sell 2 brands of boards, asus, and shuttle, and if someone asks us to bring in somehting we will, and we will rma it if it dies, but we will offer no "extra' support, such as phone help or driver issues, since thats what they asked for. for gb, selling their prodcuts COST us money. so they were offering us very little.
frankly now im glad to see this and it is music to my ears, as to say everyone got bad caps, i call bs, i have never seen a bad ASUS or shuttle board due to caps. people slipping with screwdrivers and amd's clips though are a different story ;)

I worry more about MSI's Windows Flash Utility hosing the BIOS than I do blown caps. But seriously...should the suit be won, what'll everyone get? Less than the price of the cheapest MSI board, I'll bet. Still, if they're intentionally doing it, they should be held responsible.

I won't be buying MSI now :). Asus or Abit are the only boards I will be buying from now on.

GoHack said:
There arent several million resistors to cool in 1 spot, with cpu's you have many transistors in a relatively small space. That is not to say that they don't get hot however, think of a sodering iron as a giant resistor, I believe abit has a solution, but I didnt like it due to the fan size.

GoHack said:

Most of the motherboards I have replaced caps on are business systems, and not your home "EXTREME" OCer. So this really did not apply, as it was a across the board frailer...

I just got my eRMA reply back from a live person at abit.. they waived the fee on mt kt7-raid with the bad caps.. so thats good, as I have 2 of the kt7's that need done.. :)

Veeb0rg said:
I just got my eRMA reply back from a live person at abit.. they waived the fee on mt kt7-raid with the bad caps.. so thats good, as I have 2 of the kt7's that need done.. :)

I'm glad to hear that Abit worked with you too on those defective KT7 boards. I just wish that Epox had a better policy than they do, since I just lost a 8KHA+ due to bad caps and wasted $17 plus shipping for them to fix it. They changed the caps all right, but never tested the board after and it's still dead and Epox says tough shit about it. :mad: So fuck Epox, I'll stay with abit or Asus.

neisius said:
Humm...All my caps look like the ones in the second pic :eek: Maybe that's way I can't OC at all...

All caps must be absolutely flat on top - no doming whatsoever. Actually, some caps leak underneath the can, in the tiny space there - very hard to spot until you start lifting them.

Panansonic (Japanese) are the best. Those are the ones I used to use. Dont know if still available.

The suit is not about faulty formulae, or a "bad run". Its allegedly about using 2 cent caps instead of 5 cent caps in this era of things like prescott CPU's where use of the absolute cheapest components implies knowledge of premature failure. In other words - like selling a product that just barely makes it.

From Motherboard Repair.com..........

Quote:
This is a list of just some of the brands that have shown capacitor failures in large numbers:
Abit
A-Open
ECS
EPOX
Gateway
Hewlett Packard
Intel
MSI
Shuttle
Soyo
Tyan
Via

The most common symptoms of capacitor failure are:

1. Failure to boot .
2. Must attempt booting several times before machine will start.
3. Instability , especially when graphics are complex.
4. Machine boots with a pre-Coppermine Celeron but will not boot with a PIII Coppermine.
5. Bad odor wafts about the room and this time it wasn't you or the dog.
6. Bios health alarm (hi-low siren) at boot but PC health screen shows no reason for the alarm.
7. Fans spin up, power indicator lights up and nothing else happens

Bad caps take out torroid........
http://motherboardrepair.com/images/PICT0064.jpg

The green mile
http://motherboardrepair.com/images/TheGreenMile.jpg

And BTW:

The same thing goes for your vidcards

Quote:

I got the capacitors from Digikey yesterday and last night I replaced all 5 capacitors. I played Americas Army 3 straight hours without a glitch! That was the first good sign since before I would be lucky to get an hour of straight gaming. This morning I loaded up 3dmark on a cold system and made it through the first run. Under cold conditions that is unheard of on my system.

After replacing all five capacitors my ti4200 is rock stable.
Good luck to everyone. (After replacing 3 capacitors I noticed a better behaviour) I thinked all 5 capacitors were bad and this was true

Unquote

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=2120915#post2120915

the caps on my kt7 board are so bad, the bottoms have swollen and leaked as well, so they no longer sit flat on the board..

it will be nice to have these beauties back again

I didn't know Abit would still RMA them. I'll have to check to see if I still have my KT7 when I get home. Thanks for letting me know, though.

cisco guy said:
All caps must be absolutely flat on top - no doming whatsoever. Actually, some caps leak underneath the can, in the tiny space there - very hard to spot until you start lifting them.

Panansonic (Japanese) are the best. Those are the ones I used to use. Dont know if still available.

The suit is not about faulty formulae, or a "bad run". Its allegedly about using 2 cent caps instead of 5 cent caps in this era of things like prescott CPU's where use of the absolute cheapest components implies knowledge of premature failure. In other words - like selling a product that just barely makes it.

From Motherboard Repair.com..........

Quote:
This is a list of just some of the brands that have shown capacitor failures in large numbers:
Abit
A-Open
ECS
EPOX
Gateway
Hewlett Packard
Intel
MSI
Shuttle
Soyo
Tyan
Via

The most common symptoms of capacitor failure are:

1. Failure to boot .
2. Must attempt booting several times before machine will start.
3. Instability , especially when graphics are complex.
4. Machine boots with a pre-Coppermine Celeron but will not boot with a PIII Coppermine.
5. Bad odor wafts about the room and this time it wasn't you or the dog.
6. Bios health alarm (hi-low siren) at boot but PC health screen shows no reason for the alarm.
7. Fans spin up, power indicator lights up and nothing else happens

Bad caps take out torroid........
http://motherboardrepair.com/images/PICT0064.jpg

The green mile
http://motherboardrepair.com/images/TheGreenMile.jpg

uh-oh, i have a Soyo that sometimes takes several tries to boot after it has been turned off for more than a minute or two, i guess i'll be having my mom solder on some caps for me (she used to do military spec soldering for Westinghouse/Northrup Grumman)....and i may as well have her do my vid card while i'm at it....

GoHack said:
Oh boy, another Dumbocrat. Then where will we all work, or do we join the Dumbocratic party, and go on public welfare? :rolleyes:

There are some bad apples out there in business, no question about it, but there are an awful lot of people out there who aren't, who have worked very hard, happen to be a little bit smarter than someone else, or simply, are just plain damn lucky, and god forebid, if they make any mistakes. They have more laws and regulations that they have to follow, than what you can shake a stick at. Be it discrimination, pollution, safety, taxes, and on and on, as well as lawsuites, most of which as absolutely ridiculus, w/many being settled out of court, w/the costs being passed onto us, the consumers. Instead of, say a $100 motherboard, it becomes a $105 or $110 one, and so on.

Besides, the US federal government is considerably worst than those companies, and they are above the law too. :mad: They don't have the same laws to follow as private industry does.

Sorry about this. I just get mad when I hear people like DeepFreeze. Working in industry and seeing all the laws the company I work at has to put up with, as well as the most unbelievable lawsuites we get, especially the class acton ones, where something happens that doesn't even involve our product, but we are brought in, never the less. We have a complete staff of lawyers. This gets all passed on to the cost of our product, which you, the consumer pays for.

Are you telling me EVERYONE in the world tries to screw everyone else in the world, AKA survival of the fittest? WHOA!

i have had a inverter capacitor blow up IN MY HAND and hit me just below my eyebrow, it sounded like a gun went off and it made a really big welt on my eye lid. im happy it didnt hit my eye. im never buying a vantec inverter again

edit:
i also dropped the inverter on my motherboard while there were 500 volt fireworks going on. lucky me it didnt touch any electrical traces or components, my friend was quick to pull the comps plug

Back