MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO Picture Leaks

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Our friends over at VideoCards have the first pics of the new RTX 2080 and 2080Ti. These look to be mock-ups of the boxes, but do conform to MSI's usual packaging and card designs.

Pics.

MSI's GAMING X TRIO is a triple-fan design with fancy (and obligatory at this point) RGB lighting. The backplate is silver (brushed aluminum?) . The card features the new Type-C VirtualLink connector and NVLink. NVIDIA abandoned SLI connector for the RTX series. The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO is equipped with dual 8-pin power connectors.

Crap. So it seems we're getting the same chips that launched earlier with the Quadro line. Waaaay too many transistors dedicated to ray tracing and AI that won't help gaming.

Bummer.

Crap. So it seems we're getting the same chips that launched earlier with the Quadro line. Waaaay too many transistors dedicated to ray tracing and AI that won't help gaming.

Bummer.

Will that detract from it's ability to game? No sarcasm here, legitimately curious. Looking at replacing my 970 when the 2070 launches.

Ya I am curious if SLI is now officially dead or did NVIDIA pull a hat trick and engineer SLI to now work over NVLink?

So we're supposed to get the Ti version at the same time as the normal one? Seems like a really crowded product stack if so, with the 2080, 2080Ti, and Titan variants all rolling into the top of the lineup. Not sure why they'd want to change their usual strategy of soaking early adopters repeatedly with their more normal approach. Is this confirmed at all (unofficially, from better sources than Videocardz), or just speculation passed off as exclusives?

I may be revealing how out-of-date I am, but when will a mid-range card be able to play 4K at decent framerates and IQ?

These flagship cards are all well and good but I've never liked paying the e-peen premium.

So I don’t need this, but I want it.

I shouldn’t buy it...

6596EC92-0ED0-45CC-98DA-8E47931C5E79.gif

Bummer.

Ray tracing is the next step in graphics realism for gaming. They have to start somewhere. Besides, it looks like the Ti will be faster than any other card currently on the market, including the Titan V.

So.. don't buy anything until after Gamescom, August 21st?

Ray tracing is the next step in graphics realism for gaming. They have to start somewhere. Besides, it looks like the Ti will be faster than any other card currently on the market, including the Titan V.
Of course it will be faster, but if they hadn't dedicated all of that GPU die space to what is essentially meaningless to games it could have been WAY WAY faster.

SLI is officially dead? Finally? Where's my Doom on Vulkan mGPU?

By the way, when can we have smaller and slimmer graphics card? Storage drive has gone from 3.5" to the sexy M.2.

Until Nvidia says otherwise, I would assume you can do SLI over NVlink. As for card sizes - the only reason cards are dual slot is the amount of heat they need to dissipate via air cooling. Most water cooled cards are single slot.

Of course it will be faster, but if they hadn't dedicated all of that GPU die space to what is essentially meaningless to games it could have been WAY WAY faster.

Maybe meaningless right now, but like I said, they have to start somewhere.

For Ray Tracing Xtreme.

not to mention what better way to confuse buyers but take AMD's "RX" naming scheme and add a T and the 4 digits to make it sound insanely better than amd's card(which it is but that's beside the point).. while i agree it's for the reason you said, i wouldn't put it past them that they ended up going with it because of the potential product confusion it might cause between their product and AMD's(since AMD did it themselves with the x370/470, x399 vs intel's chipset naming scheme)

that's a pretty big assumption there.. maybe they got all the performance they could with the architecture and realized they could also add more to it without negatively effecting that performance.

I may be revealing how out-of-date I am, but when will a mid-range card be able to play 4K at decent framerates and IQ?

These flagship cards are all well and good but I've never liked paying the e-peen premium.

Go look at [H]'s current generation card reviews and find the model that can do 4k at decent frame rates and IQ. The next model down for the RTX generation should be able to do the same thing. IE GTX 1080 -> RTX 2070. If by mid-range you're thinking RTX 2050, you may have to wait another generation or two.

I will be watching this. I want an upgrade but it needs to be substantial. I want 70fps Min in all my current titles at 4K. Which might be possible.

not to mention what better way to confuse buyers but take AMD's "RX" naming scheme and add a T and the 4 digits to make it sound insanely better than amd's card(which it is but that's beside the point).. while i agree it's for the reason you said, i wouldn't put it past them that they ended up going with it because of the potential product confusion it might cause between their product and AMD's(since AMD did it themselves with the x370/470, x399 vs intel's chipset naming scheme)

that's a pretty big assumption there.. maybe they got all the performance they could with the architecture and realized they could also add more to it without negatively effecting that performance.
You're telling me that it's a pretty big assumption that using the die space occupied by tensor and RT cores for more CUDA cores, ROPs, etc. would improve performance? I don't think that's a big assumption, I think that's precisely how this stuff works.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Has anyone heard anything about an AMD response to this? Earliest I have seen is Q1 2019..

I'm sure these cards will be The Fastest and such, but I can't shake the feeling that NVidia is milking the current market landscape.

Has anyone heard anything about an AMD response to this? Earliest I have seen is Q1 2019..

I'm sure these cards will be The Fastest and such, but I can't shake the feeling that NVidia is milking the current market landscape.
There will be no response from AMD this year if my sources are correct. But let's get back on topic.

I'll be happy to pick up an aftermarket design 2080Ti for sure. No rush though since the two 1080Ti's in my main rig are doing just fine.

my bets on a $799 starting price.

The connector on that screenshot looks like NVLink. With the high requirements of ray tracing, it wouldn't surprise me if they announce a gaming version of NVLink for the RTX cards and keep SLI for the non RTX cards. Heck, they may kill SLI altogether.

This is exciting for sure. I just hope the prices are reasonable upon release and they are crap for mining!

Thank you,

The connector on that screenshot looks like NVLink. With the high requirements of ray tracing, it wouldn't surprise me if they announce a gaming version of NVLink for the RTX cards and keep SLI for the non RTX cards. Heck, they may kill SLI altogether.

nVidia already killed SLI with GTX 1060 and below since they don't have the connector so what you're saying makes sense. I'm assuming that NVLink is software compatible with SLI.

Back