MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z Performance Review @ [H]

Always best to wait...except for that one time mining overtook Pascal, yeah, the early adopters got the better end of the deal.

Not sure what NV wants to hide with all the NDAs and stuff, given the unpalatable prices of the RTX series for mainstream gamers.

Not sure what NV wants to hide with all the NDAs and stuff, given the unpalatable prices of the RTX series for mainstream gamers.

It's not really hiding as much as it is control. It's kind of weird and offensive in this sector, but what they're doing isn't actually that different than what companies typically do. Of course, the way they did it didn't earn them any favors ;).

^ I know, just throwing a shade about hiding stuff when it's out of reach for most save for the most hardcore. And those hardcore will already have the 2080ti in their hands.

Aside from that, reviews from leaks are nothing new, but it seems NV took the extra effort to come out and squelch this one.

^ I know, just throwing a shade about hiding stuff when it's out of reach for most save for the most hardcore. And those hardcore will already have the 2080ti in their hands.

Aside from that, reviews from leaks are nothing new, but it seems NV took the extra effort to come out and squelch this one.
Hell, if I was ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Zotec etc. I would be back dooring Kyle some cards to get a jump on the competition. Why does NVidia only get to play dirty?

Sniped this very same card at a norwegian etailer at an obvious pricing error. 485 usd.
15 minutes later they corrected it to 730 bucks, which is average for the Gaming Z in this country.

Currently waiting for them to cancel my order.. Fingers crossed though :p

Hell, if I was ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Zotec etc. I would be back dooring Kyle some cards to get a jump on the competition. Why does NVidia only get to play dirty?
GPP got me blacklisted with the AIBs for any cards before embargo dates. Since GPP, there is now a list of "approved reviewers," which is the first time for this ever to happen. Approved reviewers have signed NVIDIA's new 5 year blanket NDA as well. HardOCP is not on that list.

I took it that a non overclocked model wouldn't compete with the 1080 in performance but be more expensive than the 1080.
The reviewed base clock 2070 models are on average slightly faster than typical 1080, at about the same price point.

I think UFD Tech's theory here has some merit:
* The RTX 20xx series was never meant to be. Nvidia wanted to wait with a new release until they can deliver on 7/10 nm.
* The upper half of GTX 10xx cards are still in plenty supply and overprized after the crypto mining frenzie.
* Public demand wanted something new NOW.
* As a stopgap a Pascal refresh, with features developed for the next generation added, was released.
* Pricing is set to make the older Pascal cards look more appealing, in spite of their current higher than normal price tag.
* For Nvidia this is a win no matter if you buy an overpriced Turing or a Pascal that would otherwise have to be scrapped.

The reviewed base clock 2070 models are on average slightly faster than typical 1080, at about the same price point.

* The RTX 20xx series was never meant to be. Nvidia wanted to wait with a new release until they can deliver on 7/10 nm.
* The upper half of GTX 10xx cards are still in plenty supply and overprized after the crypto mining frenzie.
* As a stopgap a Pascal refresh, with features developed for the next generation added, was released.
* Pricing is set to make the older Pascal cards look more appealing, in spite of their current higher than normal price tag.
* For Nvidia this is a win no matter if you buy an overpriced Turing or a Pascal that would otherwise have to be scrapped.

Sceptical-Hippo.jpg

Outside of gamers wanting something new, I am calling the rest of those points horseshit. Guy spends too much time on Reddit and his lack of industry knowledge is showing.

I call a moratorium on "reviewers" who post Youtube videos with the "isn't it obvious?" or "are you kidding me?!" look while gesticulating at the hardware. I think we can all get behind that.

Thanks Brent & Kyle for the review; got one to finally replace my 560ti, I think its time.

Didn't want to risk going used (none locally anyways,) and in my area 1080 options were blower/mini for less then $100 savings or a higer end card for almost same price. 1080ti/2080 are over $1k so thats a nope and 2080ti are almost $2k lol.

Too much tinfoil hat theory?

I got this video card friday because of your review. ITs a fantastic card. Runs cool and quiet so far.

The only thing that really immediately jumped out to me was just how large and heavy the card is compared to previous cards.

Thanks for the review.

Your review has convinced me to pull the trigger on an MSI card yet again (proud 980 Ti Gaming X owner) but not on the MSI Gaming Z which is too expensive for my tastes, but on the cheaper, but still high-quality 2070 Armor instead. With regards to temperature and noise I be couldn't happier, it is a HUGE improvement over the 980 Ti I had! Performance-wise I still got a lot of tuning and OC to do, but at first sight I am satisfied with the added performance.

Last edited:
Back